kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

That 40% drop may seem a bit big but Infinity War dropped arouns 37% or so (according to BOI) on its first Monday. 

Monday was also election day in many parts of the country including Mumbai which is generally the single biggest market. Charlie mentioned in the India thread that shows at some locations started late due to elections. I also noticed that showtimes were fewer than normal in some theatres in Mumbai. 

Wednesday is partial holiday in many parts so should see a good hold. Last year Infinity War saw a flat Tuesday from Monday but Tuesday was labour day last year. This year Endgame may not stay flat but drop a little

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That 40% drop may seem a bit big but Infinity War dropped arouns 37% or so (according to BOI) on its first Monday. 

Monday was also election day in many parts of the country including Mumbai which is generally the single biggest market. Charlie mentioned in the India thread that shows at some locations started late due to elections. I also noticed that showtimes were fewer than normal in some theatres in Mumbai. 

Wednesday is partial holiday in many parts so should see a good hold. Last year Infinity War saw a flat Tuesday from Monday but Tuesday was labour day last year. This year Endgame may not stay flat but drop a little

Still anything above 25Cr will be crazy. 

15 hours ago, Taruseth said:

Records not broken:

Germany:            TFA – $27.3m 

Japan:                  Matrix Reloaded - $18.6m

Norway:               ???

Finland:               Spectre - $1.75m (FSS) - $2.6m (WTFSS)

I guess here a few more European markets will be added.

How is this still Japan's record lol

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

It had loads of previews before official OW, all blockbusters did that before 2008.

Interesting that they no longer do this. I've always wondered why Japan contributes noticeably less to Hollywood films these days. Is it simply that their taste in film no longer lines up with Hollywood? Or has the market just shrank? 

45 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Interesting that they no longer do this. I've always wondered why Japan contributes noticeably less to Hollywood films these days. Is it simply that their taste in film no longer lines up with Hollywood? Or has the market just shrank? 

I don't live in Japan, so I'm not sure.

Corpse on WoKJ should be able to answer your question.

• Like 1

In Poland, Endgame had the biggest opening this year, the biggest for any superhero film, almost 100% bigger than previous record (Inifnity War) and just after 5 days is the third biggest superhero film after 1989. This would be probably the first in Poland (after 1989) superhero film to cross 2 million in admission.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, sahmeelg said:

For comps:

IW 5-day OW: lc 650.1M

IW OW Sat: lc 151.8M (#1 biggest single day)

IW OW Sun: lc 148.3M (#2 biggest single day)

IW was PH's first movie to earn lc 1B

So I guess EG's OD just broke the biggest single day record. Might get broken again* this weekend.

I'm still looking for the weekend breakdown but Endgame earned P937,521,966 (lc) and is already the 2nd highest grossing movie in the Philippines behind only Infinity War's P1.217B+ (lc) 💀

Edit. Infinity War had 5 weeks to get to that final gross 💀

Link

Edited by sahmeelg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

I remember this question being asked on the WOKJ forums, and Corpse (most knowledgeable poster on Japanese BO) said that it is a combination of a stagnant market and just a lower interest in Hollywood these days. I can't find the post (though you can ask him as he's an active member there) but I think it basically boiled down to these factors:

-Japanese population is ageing even faster than the rest of the world and the youth and younger adults have very little leisure time (50 hours work week, only a six week summer instead of three months like elsewhere etc). Ticket prices are also very high, the highest in the world I think. So movie-goers here are relatively old and essentially watch movies from franchises or brands they are familiar with. That's not much of a problem locally as they have all those annual franchises (like Conan, Pokemon and their massive Manga library) but Hollywood appeals to a global audience which is younger. So unless a movie is related to a franchise from the 70s to early 00s (like Star Wars Jurassic World, Potterverse etc), they just don't care.

- Another important factor is that their society is somewhat patriarchal. Japan has one of the lowest share of women in the labor force and when you combine it with their insane work schedule (mentioned earlier), women end up having disproportionately more leisure time. That is why two thirds of japanese movie-goers are women (compared to a 50/50 split in the US for example). This means that movies which appeal strongly to women do better. In the early to mid 2000s, the biggest Hollywood franchises were very popular with women in Japan (Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean, all of Pixar) while today with the superhero craze, Hlwd's top movies don't appeal appeal as much to them. Those that do are still as huge as ever (Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Bohemian Rhapsody etc) but there are proportionally fewer of them now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I guess $130M-plus on worldwide MON. That means Endgame become one of the top 10 films of all time with $1,358M by 6 days only. With the holiday help of China, it can hit $1,500M on TUE.

If it does than a $150m Tuesday and a $170m Wednesday? This can't be right right? :ohmygod:

10 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I guess $130M-plus on worldwide MON. That means Endgame become one of the top 10 films of all time with $1,358M by 6 days only. With the holiday help of China, it can hit $1,500M on TUE.

Possibly outgrossing The Avengers (2012) in only 6 Days ...

WHAT THE FUCK

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

29 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

$120mn imo.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1