kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

34 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Maybe you want to read up on the reason and details of said day?

Depends also on the weather....

And local customs: Here in m region we have an additional tradition at the 1 May: village fiestas, mounting maypole (here far bigger than in e.g. Sweden, has to be able to stay for years securly).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maypole

out of that page

Near_Munich,_the_new_May_Pole.jpg

In smaller cities / villages often more or less the complete population is partying for many hours (do not try to drive here around the time those are closing, you might get hit by a beer-drinker.... GRRRR I nearly ended in the ditch trying to avoid one of those in the past)

:lol:

I'll try a list for the non-Anglican countries. 1 May is ~ Labour Day:

Algeria

Argentinia

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Burkina Faso

Cambodia

Chile

China

Colombia

Costa Rica

Croatia

Czech Republik

Ecuador

Egypt

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Honduras

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Italy

Japan (in parts only, per Unions around the date, the official one is in November)

Luxenbourg

Malaysia

Mexico

Morocco

Nothern Cyprus

Norway

Peru

Philippines
Portugal

Russia

Slowakei

Slowenia

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Syria

The Gambia

Tunisia

Turkey

Uruguay (unions)

Vietnam

I think that more like 3/4 of the world (feels like, not checked)

Just now, terrestrial said:

Hmm, means I have missed some in my looooong list I guess, thx, that picture says it way more simple

Yep. Also UK has a holiday on the first Monday of May, so if May 1st was a Monday then UK would join in too. (So we have holi on May 6th this year)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Agafin said:

The countries of the anglosphere (US, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand) donot celebrate it. Everywhere else does. Not really sure why.

In Ireland and UK, it's usually associated to the holiday on n the first Monday of May, the 6th this year. Although it's known as May Bank Holiday, no mention of Labour Day or anything like that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Yep. Also UK has a holiday on the first Monday of May, so if May 1st was a Monday then UK would join in too. (So we have holi on May 6th this year)

That I actually knew!  😉  

In the end I guess its 'secure' to assume Wednesday might see an increase, but for street action thingies of the unions and Germanic based folklore parties... it might be less than at an average public holiday

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

In Ireland and UK, it's usually associated to the holiday on n the first Monday of May, the 6th this year. Although it's known as May Bank Holiday, no mention of Labour Day or anything like that.

Yes and no. The reason lays in the history of the governments trying to deflate the calls for the workers getting a Labour day too. So they added one time near enough to deflate the calls for it, but formulated it in a way, that allowed them to save face.

So it is on paper not related at all, but in reality caused by it. 😉

UK and Ireland also has some additional, non-related party reasons: Beltane (Bealtaine in Irish = May) and Morris Dance. Again something I can imagine especially something still celebrated especially in smaller cities and villages, a get together thing like here

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I'll try a list for the non-Anglican countries. 1 May is ~ Labour Day:

[...]

Nothern Cyprus

[...]

I think that more like 3/4 of the world (feels like, not checked)

Northern Cyprus is not a legitimate country. The only country on the island of Cyprus is the Republic of Cyprus (from now on referred to as 'Cyprus') and the whole island belongs to this republic (according to the UN and all countries in the world except Turkey). The northern part of the island is occupied by the Turkish army and has declared itself as an independent country, but the only country in the world that recognises it as such is Turkey.

I thought it was even more annoying that you included "Northern Cyprus" in that list but not Cyprus. I probably wouldn't have commented otherwise but you crossed a line. Cyprus also celebrates May Day. Northern Cyprus, according to every country and every international organisation in the world (except Turkey), is not a legitimate state. Please don't make this provocative and political when there is no reason for it to be. If it was an honest mistake, then let's forget that it happened.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Northern Cyprus is not a legitimate country. The only country on the island of Cyprus is the Republic of Cyprus (from now on referred to as 'Cyprus') and the whole island belongs to this republic (according to the UN and all countries in the world except Turkey). The northern part of the island is occupied by the Turkish army and has declared itself as an independent country, but the only country in the world that recognises it as such is Turkey.

I thought it was even more annoying that you included "Northern Cyprus" in that list but not Cyprus. I probably wouldn't have commented otherwise but you crossed a line. Cyprus also celebrates May Day. Northern Cyprus, according to every country and every international organisation in the world (except Turkey), is not a legitimate state. Please don't make this provocative and political when there is no reason for it to be. If it was an honest mistake, then let's forget that it happened.

What he said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Wednesday Labour Day early estimate: 

HUGE!

From SK thread. For comparison, IW had LD one day earlier and managed 717,324 admissions, so this is a fantastic result. 

Will likely rise to around 920k, overall a huge 65% increase from yesterday. Around $6.5m thanks to a tanking ER recently

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

@ThanosTheHedgehog @Thanos Legion @Charlie Jatinder How are you guys seeing the breakdown of Endgame to pass Avatar?

I’m realistically targeting about 950 DOM, 650 China, 1.4B OS-C for 2.9.        

As Gavin says, I think 3B is a more interesting stretch goal atm, can go back to talking about Avatar if legs start collapsing.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

Northern Cyprus is not a legitimate country.

You know, I am really wondering why you had to bring up political whatever in length, but only one sentence about any other possibility.

Guess what, I took it out of wikipedia, the list of 1 May countries in German, focusing mainly on: hmmm, what is the country's name in English and how gets it spelled? As it was not first on one of the lists (different ones, I also resorted it by abc), that focus was the only POV for that. Either Cyprus was not listed or I got side-tracked, as mentioned at dom, I do construction work at home mostly today, and lurk into BOT for the fun of the records breaking. I wrote there something like it feels like half of the world has holiday today, some of the named countries here in OS mean it has to be more than half of the world

= hence why I tried to give readers here a feel for what to expect (and to not over-expect, see parties...), so they have a working possibility for their predictions.

Fun part?

I myself am not into predictions, I am into finals and the reasons for those. And am not even into the record breaking movie, for me it was a 6.5/10

= trying to be helpful for people like you and others in between of doing DIY

That's all.