kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

I think a lot of people have lost the context about the numbers this film has been making. This film is $298 million away from Avatar. It's something that's far more likely to happen than not.

Avatar came out 10 years ago. It was the first film to break the 2 billion barrier, and not only did it cross it, it smashed it by $788 million. Since then only two films have crossed it, an impossibly hyped 30-years-in-the-making Star Wars sequel, and an Avengers film that started the conclusion of 20 films, with dozens of heroes and a villain that was hyped for 6 years. Both of those films came more than $700 million short of Avatar. No film has come even close to Avatar, Star Wars almost made a billion domestically and was nowhere near it. The conclusion to the Harry Potter saga made $1,4 billion less.

The notion that Endgame is, in all likelihood, going to beat it, is a staggering achievement. When you're making such impossible-to-fathom numbers, big drops are inevitable, there are only so many people that a) would watch a superhero film b) would watch the conclusion of a 22 film saga.

If this had a minuscule chance of missing the $2 billion mark, or beating Infinity War, like it has a minuscule chance of not beating Avatar, i could understand the sighs.,.or the ''disappointments'' about it's drops.

Just think about...Marvel would have doubled it's audience in a span of 5 years between Age of Ultron and Endgame. Imagine saying in 2014 after Ultron ended up third Worldwide behind F&F and Jurassic World that the 4th Avengers film would beat Avatar worldwide. Not a single person would have believed it.

Enjoy it, folks, box office runs like this don't come quite often.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

Enjoy it, folks, box office runs like this don't come quite often.

Could take an other 10 year's again I guess (specially that start).

Most previous Marvel release did not open in China/somewhere else the same weekend, did anyone have made some good comparable for what to expect multiplier of the third weekend to be added with  this current release pattern ?

1 minute ago, Moses said:

I think disney wants EG to increase over avatar.

This will make avatar 2 interesting to regain the record.

And/or the Avatar re-release more interesting if the difference between the 2 is much smaller than Titanic re-release numbers.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And/or the Avatar re-release more interesting if the difference between the 2 is much smaller than Titanic re-release numbers.

The difference will be so small.may be less than 20 million.

8 hours ago, Juby said:

I love IW ending. For me:

Infinity War 9+/10 > Avatar 9/10 > Endgame 7/10

I agree. Endgame delivers a nice ending for a big chunk of the series, wraps up a lot of the stories of the MCU. It's really for the fans.

Infinity War though unusually great. After ruminating on both for a while I think IW is clearly the superior film.

1 hour ago, Moses said:

Os -china is now at 1155 millions with 85 millions during last weekend.

Can it reach 1300 millions??

Yeah, consensus seems to be it'll end up right around there.

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Underestimated over 4 million worldwide. Touched 2.490, less than 300 million behind avatar.

Last full week worldwide was $295m. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Juby said:

I think Endgame will beat Avatar WW by less than $50M. Shame, cause I think Avatar is a better film and it deserves to be a box office king a little bit longer. If there was a film that deserves to beat Avatar record, it was Infinity War last year.

Nah, Endgame deserves it. It's the "final" chapter of a sucessful cinematic universe that we had never seen before, that marks the end of an era, with characters that have been a part of people's lives for 11 years, more epic, more emotional, a bigger phenomenon and IMO a better film than IW. Even if you think IW is better, all of the other aspects I mentioned make it suitable as the record breaker, no?

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Clouseau said:

Why does the title of this thread never change?

"1664.2 M worldwide" is so last month. 😄

Our thread creates so many of them that he takes his sweet time updating them. Suddenly you will see a day when all the threads on page 1 of this forum started by him including movies released couple of years back 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Nah IW had a shit ending, instilled less emotion in comparison and way too fast.

Amazing fight scenes, nonstop action, grander on scale than EG, and a glorious villain but nope not a chance imo. That ending was literally a "to be continued" of a tv episode.

Avatar had a decade and got it's record due to inflation just like EG will. People need to stop crying about records being broken. It requires an amazing run and inflation to beat the record. My guess Avatar 2 fails and all the fanboys will act like 2.75B is a failure as they have set expectations that it would be, a truly delusional concept.

That ending is one of the major reason for EG doing what it is doing. Ofcourse Infinity War is much much much better film.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That ending is one of the major reason for EG doing what it is doing. Ofcourse Infinity War is much much much better film.

Absolutely it was a part 1 movie that set up End Game.

Little chance End Game sniffs Avatar without IW imo. Thanos alone was worth a ton, what a character!

I hated the the IW ending and it's still in my top 5 for MCU. 

I'm betting it's awesome to watch both together as the first 2 acts of EG are a breather from all of IW. Can't wait

Edited by cdsacken