kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

Everyone keeps saying this film is the end... Did anyone think that IW was the end of the mcu as we know it and this becomes the new beginning for the next phase of the mcu ?

Both

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, octopez said:

AIW marketing was: This is the end, but the next will be the REAL end, so probably will be bigger. I think the whole world wants the OG Avengers assemble one last time :( 

They're obviously going to milk that point hard in the ads. "Hey kids, that line-up when you saw that one magical movie back in 2012 and which you associate that franchise/team with? Watch them all together in their last rodeo with each other!"

7 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Competition seems a bit lighter next summer though, might be the thing that saves it from dropping. John Wick 3 and Aladdin are no Deadpool and SW.

it's worth noting that the they're coming 1 week earlier than Solo and DP2

This series is renewed/revived from A2  and is pretty fresh , colorful and alive with addition of GOTG , spiderman , doctor strange etc and still core avengers have lot of charisma.It still has ant-man & captain marvel N PROPER CLIMAX to be to be loaded. With all this can't wait to see stuff , can't see any chances of dropping unless meh content like AOU. It will stay flat or have a slight jump even if it's okayish film , if it has truly blockbuster material like FF5 , GOTG etc jump gonna be big but true blockbusters are rarity.

Still maintaining my opinion before Infinity War blew up, even more so now actually, that Avengers 4 will see a decrease from Infinity War. Probably around TA numbers.

I have a feeling it will drop. However, if the marketing makes it really clear that this is the end (if it is indeed the end) for the main characters (Iron Man, Captain America), everyone will wanna see these two play one last time on the big screen. It can be done.

Depends on the quality of the film. If it’s as good as IW i see zero logical reason for it to not increase. Why would the climax of the MCU , coming off an extremely successful previous film, actually decrease ? I won’t convince anybody and the avengers 4 threads will be similar to the infinity war threads where most people were laughing at anybody predicting huge results for it and citing ridiculous reasons . One look at the various pre-opening infinity war threads and clubs is enough.

• Haha 1

Well, taking into account other part-2 movies, the ending chapter normally decreases.

Matrix Reloaded> Matrix Revolutions

Back to the Future II > Back to the Future III

Dead Man´s Chest > At World´s End

Kill Bill Vol 1 > Kill Bill Vol 2

I only remember something different with Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Part 1. 

I felt that the main "wooow" factor with Infinity War was to have all those characters gathering together for the first time, the second one will be more focused in less characters (making probably a much tighter and better story) and won´t have that novelty.  

• Haha 1

It will decrease. IW already acted like a finale.

Comparisons to BD1, Mockingjay 1 or HP7-1 is not cutting it because none of those were BO phenomenons that exploded and set franchise high like IW did. Nor were they marketed with “the end” “it all leading up to this” “10 years in the making” PR angles either.

Edited by Sam

I'm assuming no spoiler talk?

Anyway, Marvel cleverly left two big moments out of Infinity War, saving them for Avengers 4.  If they put them in the trailers, the hype will be through the roof.  Combine that with the cliffhanger ending and Infinity War's glowing reception... I think this movie will match Infinity War, if not surpass it.

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It’s a “Part 2” movie.

So will it do a Twilight/ Harry Potter and increase?

or a Hunger Games and decrease?

I think it should increase, last film ended on a cliffhanger. 

13 hours ago, KenterKane said:

Well, taking into account other part-2 movies, the ending chapter normally decreases.

Matrix Reloaded> Matrix Revolutions

Back to the Future II > Back to the Future III

Dead Man´s Chest > At World´s End

Kill Bill Vol 1 > Kill Bill Vol 2

I only remember something different with Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Part 1. 

I felt that the main "wooow" factor with Infinity War was to have all those characters gathering together for the first time, the second one will be more focused in less characters (making probably a much tighter and better story) and won´t have that novelty.  

I agree with KenterKane. A cliffhanger doesn't always help. B2F2 and Pirates 2 are particularly good examples, as is the Hunger Games franchise, in which cliffhangers didn't increase overall curiosity in what will happen next.

It all boils down to the marketing. If they play it safe, if they don't assume that people will watch it anyway, if they increase the stakes and if they convince people that this will be their last chance to see their favourite characters (Iron Man, Captain America) on the big screen, then it is very likely to increase. Otherwise, people won't be that fussed about watching a second Avengers film within a year. And when I say "that fussed", I mean it could end up with $1.6B, which is definitely not a failure and which will not justify any concern.