kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

Had AEG opened to a record 300 and broken that daunting barrier, thrown the forum in a frenzy and gotten AIW's legs, it would have made "only" 786, well below 800 and no one would have had 1 bad word to say (rightly so). Now it may miss 850 and disappoint folks, sigh 🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, a2k said:

Had AEG opened to a record 300 and broken that daunting barrier, thrown the forum in a frenzy and gotten AIW's legs, it would have made "only" 786, well below 800 and no one would have had 1 bad word to say (rightly so). Now it may miss 850 and disappoint folks, sigh 🤔

Exactly. 100 million opener and 4x legs is 400. $150 opener finishing in 425 has much worse legs but it finishes higher therefore it did better.

Total number should matter most.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Exactly. 100 million opener and 4x legs is 400. $150 opener finishing in 425 has much worse legs but it finishes higher therefore it did better.

Those are both healthy multis. 250x 1.72=430 would be a much more concerning/disappointing run than either. 

41 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

there can be exceptions like how suicide squad is generally considered to have performed superior to bvs despite falling a bit short. budget and expectations can change impression of what's good and bad. but aeg even beat the expectations department. don't know how many expected it to cross 800 1 day before release. only post the ow did 900 dom (and going for avatar ww) ever come into picture.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Those are both healthy multis. 250x 1.72=430 would be a much more concerning/disappointing run than either. 

DOM legs don't concern me on their own. Great DOM legs yet awful OS numbers isn't good yet it does happen.

If you want to be extreme sure 1.72 is weak but it was nowhere near that number. 80 4x legs is 320.  150 x 2.4 is 360. I'd still rather have the 360. It's not as satisfying to track but it's a better DOM. Plus, if it did better overseas.....who cares? Things are going well to get more and more front loaded.

Edited by cdsacken

27 minutes ago, a2k said:

there can be exceptions like how suicide squad is generally considered to have performed superior to bvs despite falling a bit short. budget and expectations can change impression of what's good and bad. but aeg even beat the expectations department. don't know how many expected it to cross 800 1 day before release. only post the ow did 900 dom (and going for avatar ww) ever come into picture.

Agreed. 2.0 flat and bad overseas is definitely an exception.

Thing is End Game if it stopped right now is a massive success. 

2 hours ago, a2k said:

Well it's all perspective isn't it. TFA wasn't even favourite to be #1 DOM in 2015 with Ultron and then Jurassic World's surprise success (and given the prequels' performance). 

A shame end games OW was so incredibly big that it has now affected peoples expectations relatively. 

Like TROS might do a bit less than TLJ but will still sell more tickets than any prequel film (barring TPM)...but we would still see this as a disappointment relatively. 

• Like 1

The disappointment debate is absurd. It is making tons of money. No matters how you look at it.

IMO, the "problem" to measure the EG's success is the opening. The OW figure (everywhere) is absurd, absolutely illogical, out of the world... you can name it as you want.

And that opening figure has always been a bit cheat. The hype was gigantic and people wanted to avoid spoilers (it is curious that a very similar phenomenon with the same problem of spoilers like Game of Thrones is ending now too. I would have liked to see the last season once it had finished to see the 6 chapters together, but it is impossible. I am watching as they are released).

Many people saw the film during the OW when they usually don't do it. I am an example of that. I detest to see films (specially so crowded) during the OW, but the risk to know what happened in the film was too high, so I saw it the first Friday. But I will not repeat at theaters, so since I watched IW after the OW, I have a little part of responsability (and many people of my enviroment in the same situation) of these "disappointing" legs.

Maybe the problem here has been to asume the opening as something normal (myself did it) when it is not. With that wrong premise, every calculation we can do is worse than usual. But the fact it is that EG's run, specially the opening, is everything except usual.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

710M DOM is a great result, but 370->710 is a crap run. People can focus too much on a simple multi at risk of ignoring the actual $$ made, true. But you can also focus too much on a total at risk of ignoring how it got there. I see more new people make the former mistake and more “sophisticated” people make the latter mistake.

In general that might count, but I think here play too many points into a sum of why it might not count in this special case:

- never before we had that kind of cliffhanger / change of POV in a movie series. See heroes lost in IW

- never before I've seen such an effort for secrecy, no spoilers, a frenzy of unseen heights to get even the smallest glimpse or not at all

- the campaign was very much focused on that too

- the simultaneous release in so many countries, but the US not getting it then too

- part 22 with lots of 'final' / end / .... in interviews and advertising

- the presale news got people moving earlier as usual (I mean per count, a lot more than usual)

- news about cinemas opening in part 24hours...

all adds up to push and push the 'event' feel into new heights

I personally know lots of people who usually avoid OW for e.g. the fullness, loudness,.... and watch not even all usually CBMs, the most of them never watch a movie more than once in a cinema...

= all of them (who do not outright refuse to watch any CBM) watched it till OW Sunday

I think the % of people who are generally not re-watchers is way higher than usual for a CBM.

I also think the % of people who do rewatch, did it atypical early, even if 3- or 4-times, e.g. accompanying friends.. to their first screening who usually wait longer.

Plus the runtime....

plus its finals time in schools and... in combination with the run-time

At the evenings its one screening less possible to still ~ reasonable hours, acc to lots of reports here and my own observations here. To sneak out of learning to watch it once shortly before the exams, not a problem To do it more than once with that runtime... I'v hear repeatedly my pupils say, if.... then, but  no for now for an additional screening.

I think the people still re-watching it are roughly the same as e.g. AIW re-watchers after a similar time in release, but less of the ones watching it usually only after the OW

= the count of people, potential audience seems to be back to the usual CBM crowd

= as such not the drops seem to be relevant in this special case, but the tickets sold / money made

I didn't even list all reasons btw, its already a probably too long post 😉

• Like 5

1 minute ago, peludo said:

And that opening figure has always been a bit cheat. The hype was gigantic and people wanted to avoid spoilers

Many people saw the film during the OW when they usually don't do it. I am an example of that. I detest to see films (specially so crowded) during the OW, but the risk to know what happened in the film was too high, so I saw it the first Friday. But I will not repeat at theaters, so since I watched IW after the OW, I have a little part of responsability (and many people of my enviroment in the same situation) of these "disappointing" legs.

Haha, same thoughts / POV...., see my post 2 minutes after yours

I earnestly wondering why that is not absolute obvious for the some here that still question the legs

• Like 2

21 hours ago, danhtruong5 said:

835 + 630 + 1308 = 2773

If it can not pass Avatar, it is more because of the DOM than the OS. The OS of EG overall is higher 30% than IW, bringing the best opportinity for EG to pass Avatar in a decade but the DOM is just .... dissappointed

Isn't there a chance it's meant to be that he is disappointed by the numbers and not the way you guys in here perceived it to be? Correct me if I am wrong, because English is not my native language. It's like my 4th language. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, a2k said:

Yeah, because Suicide Squad versus freaking Batman v Superman... 

I doubt many outside of comic book fans even knew what the Suicide Squad was before the movie, I think everyone has heard of Batman and Superman.

And the difference between Suicide Squad and BvS was mainly China (not totally, but mainly)

And Engame isn't a disappointment, I thought like 700 and 2.1b (so slightly above IW, probably a little low on OS, but well) would be good (realistically until the presales went absolutely bonkers I expected more like a result with Dom weaker than Avengers and stronger OS performance, considering that AoU dropped as did JW2, TLJ and some others).

11 hours ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Well it's all perspective isn't it. TFA wasn't even favourite to be #1 DOM in 2015 with Ultron and then Jurassic World's surprise success (and given the prequels' performance). 

A shame end games OW was so incredibly big that it has now affected peoples expectations relatively. 

Like TROS might do a bit less than TLJ but will still sell more tickets than any prequel film (barring TPM)...but we would still see this as a disappointment relatively. 

True, people thought TFA wouldn't be #1 dom and WW (thought to be fair back then it was reasonable to expect that).

Yeah, people, I think, after that OW have looked a little too often at TFA, but those first 17 day of TFAs were just bonkers and they actually in total still are slightly higher($18.46m) than Endgames first 17 days.

To be fair wouldn't every gross for TROS around or below RO basically be seen as a failure? Thought it overall would still be good, just compared to TFA and TLJ (and RO) really bad.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

[...]

I personally know lots of people who usually avoid OW for e.g. the fullness, loudness,.... and watch not even all usually CBMs, the most of them never watch a movie more than once in a cinema...

= all of them (who do not outright refuse to watch any CBM) watched it till OW Sunday

[...]

This is so true, I watched it on 30th April (so the 7th day it was in release) in Germany and I was really, really late.

For SW, for example, it's totally different, people watch that spread out over the first four weeks or so, because, in the end, they want to see it, but they don't feel the need to see it on OWend and quite some wait till the new year, when everyone starts to work because cinemas aren't as full then.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KJsooner said:

If it opened to 275 mil ow, and did 850 mil domestic, would you consider that bad?

That question makes zero sense. It is all relevant. Yes had it opened, for example, at 100 million and did 850 million it would be considered a titanic-like box office run. You can even apply that to movies that failed, had BvS opened at 100 million and then did 330 million it would have been considered a success. The thing is that post-ow both infinity saga movies had weak legs in the U.S and these legs costed them some box office milestones that seemed certain after the ow. Nobody is saying that they weren’t gigantic box office successes , some people should stop oversimplifying things so much to win an argument. Both movies had worse legs than expected in the U.S compared to their OW. For me, endgame dropping in dailies behind IW is shocking.

• Like 4

I think the problem is that usually size of OW is determined by how good were the trailers, but multiple is determined by how good the movie is. But this time it doesn't fit, the movie is tremendously good, but legs are still lagging because of unprecendented hype (= size of OW)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

That question makes zero sense. It is all relevant. Yes had it opened, for example, at 100 million and did 850 million it would be considered a titanic-like box office run. You can even apply that to movies that failed, had BvS opened at 100 million and then did 330 million it would have been considered a success. The thing is that post-ow both infinity saga movies had weak legs in the U.S and these legs costed them some box office milestones that seemed certain after the ow. Nobody is saying that they weren’t gigantic box office successes , some people should stop oversimplifying things so much to win an argument. Both movies had worse legs than expected in the U.S compared to their OW. For me, endgame dropping in dailies behind IW is shocking.

My grandmother votes based on looks.. shocking i know!! Invalid? To me yes.. to the internet-Not today 😕 TTVOMJ

54 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You know it has already passed IW and will beat Avatar within a couple days right?? I don’t get the stupid logic of people being upset this movie didn’t have the best legs. Still a massive success. 

56 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

You know it has already passed IW and will beat Avatar within a couple days right?? I don’t get the stupid logic of people being upset this movie didn’t have the best legs. Still a massive success. 

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know that...whatever...

• Knock It Off 1