kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

18 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

It’d be nice if just once we could come into an ‘Endgame’ box office thread and not read all the stupid crap from the Cameron-stans. Gets tiring to have all the Camtrolls poisoning well all the time. Nobody cares! Take that crap to the ‘franchise war’ thread or something.

Nothing but love from me KJ! Endgame put up a good fight you should be proud (not that you did anything).

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Nothing against Jim, but to me titanic and avatar aren’t even good films. Avatar lost best picture to The Hurt Locker. :hahaha:

I love Jim Cameron films like Terminator 1&2, Aliens, and true lies. I’d rather he go back to making movies like those.

Edit: I’d even go far as to say Terminator 2 is in my top 10 all time favorite films.

Edited by KJsooner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

Nothing against Jim, but to me titanic and avatar aren’t even good films. Avatar lost best picture to The Hurt Locker. :hahaha:

I love Jim Cameron films like Terminator 1&2, Aliens, and true lies. I’d rather he go back to making movies like those.

That's a reflection on the Academy rather than Avatar.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I want EG to get Best Picture nom because it would be a great way to honor the MCU Saga and the movie itself deserves it. 

I think Oscars has fulfilled that duty with Black Panther, kind of, it was simply a better fit for them because it also fulfills that "social message" role as well as that "superhero blockbuster role", since they have done that, I think most academy members will feel comfortable enough to leave out Endgame as best picture, afterall, 90+ years they've only nominated one superhero film, it's unlikely that the second one appears the year right after. Critical scores for Endgame is also nowhere close to Black Panther, that doesn't help either. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, NCsoft said:

Critical scores for Endgame is also nowhere close to Black Panther, that doesn't help either. 

The average critical rating on RT is 8.30 for Endgame and 8.26 for Black Panther, so saying it's "nowhere close" is wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be quite funny if EG ends up higher than Avatar's first run ($2749m) but below the current number ($2787m) which includes the re-release. I wasn't tracking BO back in 2010 but those who did probably considered that re-release pretty pointless as it only added $30ish million to its gross. Who would have that it would end up helping Avatar keep its crown a decade later? 

The same thing happened domestically in 2012 when The Avengers surpassed Titanic's original gross ($600m) becoming the first non-Cameron movie to do so, but ultimately failed to top Titanic thanks to the 3D release. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, KJsooner said:

Edit: I’d even go far as to say Terminator 2 is in my top 10 all time favorite films.

Box office and money put aside, I don't like Avatar too ( it is not that I hate it). The visual was very good (no need to talk more about it). But the storyline and characters were boring for me. Titanic was better in this aspect. 

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

The average critical rating on RT is 8.30 for Endgame and 8.26 for Black Panther, so saying it's "nowhere close" is wrong. 

MTC is the more often used barometer in the award circle anyway. So 88>>78. There was a strong trend suggesting that to be Oscar BP, you have to get 86+ at Metacritic, it held up ever since The Departed but was broken just this year by Green Book. I didn't actually know Endgame has a slightly higher RT average, so that's interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

MTC is the more often used barometer in the award circle anyway. So 88>>78. There was a strong trend suggesting that to be Oscar BP, you have to get 86+ at Metacritic, it held up ever since The Departed but was broken just this year by Green Book. I didn't actually know Endgame has a slightly higher RT average, so that's interesting.

And I didn't know about the MTC trend :) 

Now, is that for winners or nominees? Because we're just talking about if Endgame can get nominated as an "award" for how the MCU changed film and serialized story telling. I certainly don't believe they'd ever let it win.

12 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Avatar was nominated for 9 Oscars, including Best Picture + Best Director, wining 3 Oscars, Avatar Won Golden globes best picture and best director, and received across the board best picture/ best director/best screenplay nominations from Producer's Guild, Director's Guild, and Writers Guild of America, as well as British Academy (BAFTA) and Broadcast film critic circle (BFCA) best film nominations. 

Come back when Endgame has achieved all that, and becomes the second favourite to win best picture of the year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Avatar was nominated for 9 Oscars, including Best Picture + Best Director, wining 3 Oscars, Avatar Won Golden globes best picture and best director, and received across the board best picture/ best director/best screenplay nominations from Producer's Guild, Director's Guild, and Writers Guild of America, as well as British Academy (BAFTA) and Broadcast film critic circle (BFCA) best film nominations. 

Come back when Endgame has achieved all that, and becomes the second favourite to win best picture of the year.

Black Panther did all that, and won just as many oscars as Avatar did. Lmao. Nice try though. 

14 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

And I didn't know about the MTC trend :) 

Now, is that for winners or nominees? Because we're just talking about if Endgame can get nominated as an "award" for how the MCU changed film and serialized story telling. I certainly don't believe they'd ever let it win.

That's for Winners, movies like Theory of everything and Imitation Game etc... all have MTC in the low 70s and that didn't stop them from getting nominated for Best Picture.

However, it's worth noting that to be a commercial blockbuster, the bar for best picture nomination seems quite high:

For example, recent commercial blockbusters nominated for best pictures (MTC scores):

Avatar (83), Gravity (96), Mad Max FR (90), The Martian (80), Black Panther (88)

from the limited sample that we can see, it seems that 80+ is the bar, I mean Titanic got there with below 80 but that's forever ago and best pictures winners and MTC score had no relation at all. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

i am sure marvel will by crying bc they lost oscars , but yeah i dont expect eg to win

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Black Panther did all that, and won just as many oscars as Avatar did. Lmao. Nice try though. 

Nope Wrong! I'm more of an award season geek than box office.

Black Panther has received no best director nomination, did not win the golden globes, and did not get nominated for British academy best pictures nor did it get a Director's guild nomination. Has only 7 Oscar nominations and did not get any major nomination apart from best picture (which made it basically a "also run")

btw, I was talking about Endgame, not Black panther, nice try though.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

Endgame is a better reviewed film than Avatar, but it will never get nominated for best picture or any of those categories. It’s foolish to think otherwise. Comic book movies still have extreme bias against them for Awards nominations. It’s just simply won’t garner the awards attention Avatar will get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i am sure marvel will by crying bc they lost oscars , but yeah i dont expect eg to win

Oh, I'm sure Marvel doens't care, I was just replying someone's insinuation that Avatar is a bad film because it lost best picture to The hurt Locker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Because it's the biggest movie in a decade? Titanic one would have been 1000 pages, from stans who saw it 20-30 times in theater. No question that no matter how crazy MCU fans they will never rival titanic stans not even Avatar sniffs that level. Nothing will ever again.

The hysteria from that film was so crazy I remember it and I was 12. That's not an insult it's impressive. The love for that film is undeniable. 

It's like comparing Nadal to Federer. Sure Nadal is amazing and my favorite, but Federer is the GOAT like Titanic. Without question.

Does Titanic have a badly losing record h2h against Endgame like Fed does against Rafa and Nole?

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Oh, I'm sure Marvel doens't care, I was just replying someone's insinuation that Avatar is a bad film because it lost best picture to The hurt Locker. 

oh my bad then didnt see that comment sorry

30 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Daily reminder Jim owns the Avatar IP and the Mouse pays him so they can use his IP in their theme park.

Okay .... and Avatar movies will still make the Mouse money .... so as I said ..... 

1 minute ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

Does Titanic have a badly losing record h2h against Endgame like Fed does against Rafa and Nole?

Titantic is even more dominant but it was simply a comparison. It's also not in the same era and had nothing like Twitter, streaming or Netflix to deal with. It was in the box office for what felt like 2 years.