kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I guess a counterpoint is that there are only 3 movies in the 1.5-2B range, whereas there were a bunch more in 500-1B in 2009. So maybe we should focus on 1.5B becoming common first 😛 

This does make sense, after this Monstrous year that we're having now. This coming drought is a big one, Avatar 2 aside, is there even 1 single film releasing in that 2020/2021 calendar that's a sure 1.5B+ hit? I don't think so. Not saying none of them would hit the target, just that nothing is close to a "near certain" at this point.

Actually, looking at 500 ranges is a pretty funny distribution right now:

2.5-3: 2 movies

2-2.5: 3 movies  

1.5-2: 3 movies   

1-1.5: 32 movies   

.5-1: 165 movies

Avengers franchise perfectly balanced with one in each B+ bucket ;) 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

I will be shocked if TLK does over 1.5 billion WW, nevermind 2 billion. People should really dial back on bringing up the nostalgia factor, apart from Star Wars I don’t really believe in that factor and society has changed drastically over the years. “Beauty and the beast” didn’t perform well because of nostalgia, I believe there was no nostalgia whatsoever. It performed well because from the first trailer it was obvious that it would grab a good portion of the movie going audience. TLK seems ....flat, for a lack of a better word, and i can’t see what demographic it is aiming at. In fact I would bet on the new spider man beating it worldwide just like aquaman demolished the last Marry Poppins movie (another movie that some people were heavily pimping last summer because of nostalgia). Obviously TLK will not do MP numbers but I still doubt about its potential to do monster numbers . We will see I guess.

• Like 2

Table updated with Tuesday and Wednesday OS numbers (note that all numbers are without Russia and China numbers)

Endgame

Infinity War

Wednesday

Thursday

89.39 (+43.78%)

56 (+43.59%)

Friday

119.43 (+33.6%)

83.5 (+49.1%)

Sat+Sun

FSS

Monday

Tuesday

62.36 (+11.24%)

64.5 (+16.84%)*

Wednesday

77.54 (+24.34%)(+24.72%)*

32.2 (-50%)(-17.43%)

Thursday

45.46 (-41.37%)(-49.14%)

27.1 (-15.83%)(-51.6%)

Friday

49.11 (+8.02%)(-58.88%)

34.5 (+27.3%)(-58.43%)

Sat+Sun

136 (-49.1%)

100.1 (-51%)

FSS

185 (-52.17%)

134.6 (-53.23%)

Monday

28.5 (-49.16%)

21.3 (-61.41%)

Tuesday

16.8 (-41%)(-73%)

15.6 (-26.76%)(-75.8%)

Wednesday

17.65 (+5.06%)(-77.23%)

15.7 (+0.64%)(-51.24%)

Red = daily holds

Blue = weekly holds

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

34 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I will be shocked if TLK does over 1.5 billion WW, nevermind 2 billion. People should really dial back on bringing up the nostalgia factor, apart from Star Wars I don’t really believe in that factor and society has changed drastically over the years. “Beauty and the beast” didn’t perform well because of nostalgia, I believe there was no nostalgia whatsoever. It performed well because from the first trailer it was obvious that it would grab a good portion of the movie going audience. TLK seems ....flat, for a lack of a better word, and i can’t see what demographic it is aiming at. In fact I would bet on the new spider man beating it worldwide just like aquaman demolished the last Marry Poppins movie (another movie that some people were heavily pimping last summer because of nostalgia). Obviously TLK will not do MP numbers but I still doubt about its potential to do monster numbers . We will see I guess.

The teaser was close to 100% pure nostalgia appeal:

And got 91 millions views in 24 hours. The interest level was giant before the first trailer (that why the trailer got is views so fast, regardless of the trailer quality it would have got 100m plus views the first day)

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

This does make sense, after this Monstrous year that we're having now. This coming drought is a big one, Avatar 2 aside, is there even 1 single film releasing in that 2020/2021 calendar that's a sure 1.5B+ hit? I don't think so. Not saying none of them would hit the target, just that nothing is close to a "near certain" at this point.

Avatar will probably be delayed to 2024 give or take. It's been delayed 6 years already.

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Avatar will probably be delayed to 2024 give or take. It's been delayed 6 years already.

I believe that the current date will be the final date, no more changes... I hope  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

The teaser was close to 100% pure nostalgia appeal:

And got 91 millions views in 24 hours. The interest level was giant before the first trailer (that why the trailer got is views so fast, regardless of the trailer quality it would have got 100m plus views the first day)

Agree to disagree. Even I loved the teaser and could care less about “beauty and the beast”, the cartoon, the  show or whatever else that nostalgia supposedly came from. This teaser was beautiful, no wonder it made a splash. My opinion is that BATB succeeded on its own merits and most of its audience (mostly female) didn't care or even completely ignored the previous versions. Of course the tale of BATB is far more timeless and classic than a successful cartoon film that was launched almost 25 years ago (TLK). 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I believe that the current date will be the final date, no more changes... I hope  :unsure:

Hell I want to see it too. This is getting annoying. 

Hopefully no more delays. That date was perfect 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

7 years in fact. It was initially meant to come out in 2014.

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

That's what I thought about the Dec 2020 date. Yet here we are...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Agree to disagree. Even I loved the teaser and could care less about “beauty and the beast”, the cartoon, the  show or whatever else that nostalgia supposedly came from. This teaser was beautiful, no wonder it made a splash. My opinion is that BATB succeeded on its own merits and most of its audience (mostly female) didn't care or even completely ignored the previous versions. Of course the tale of BATB is far more timeless and classic than a successful cartoon film that was launched almost 25 years ago (TLK). 

Just to be sure are you saying that the movie would have opened close to 170m if the 1991 one didn't exist ?

https://www.thewrap.com/beauty-and-the-beast-fandango-top-family-pre-seller-of-all-time/

According to this fandango poll, 95% of Beauty of the beast buyer of advanced ticket sales had seen the original a giant 68% owned the movie at home.

It is one of the biggest and most beloved movie of all time,

• Thanks 2

The thing about Beauty and the Beast nostalgia (and I guess this goes for The Lion King too) is that it's not about nostalgia for the 1991 release, it's about nostalgia among people who watched the movie 36 times on DVD when they were little, and every year since 1991 that demographic has been growing!

Even 13 year olds could be nostalgic about watching the animated Beauty and the Beast as young children when the live-action version came along. 😁

2 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Are you seriously reducing TLK to "a successful cartoon film"? That movie is the most iconic animated film of all time, everyone I know has seen it many times when they were a kid and it is one of the favorite animated films of almost everyone. It is much more popular than BATB, and has a much wider demographic appeal.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Just to be sure are you saying that the movie would have opened close to 170m if the 1991 one didn't exist ?

https://www.thewrap.com/beauty-and-the-beast-fandango-top-family-pre-seller-of-all-time/

According to this fandango poll, 95% of Beauty of the beast buyer of advanced ticket sales had seen the original a giant 68% owned the movie at home.

It is one of the biggest and most beloved movie of all time,

Yes that is exactly what I am saying , a few million give or take. Whatever the mindset here was that guardians of the galaxy would fail cause “nobody knows who they are”. Some of you are too fixed in these things. Also Mary poppins returns would be huge because the previous Mary poppins film blah blah blah.

I simply don’t believe that BATB was a success because of an animated film over 25 years ago. I don’t believe that 90% of the people that watched this, esp. the female crowd, gave a shit about the old cartoon film.

Edited by Thrylos 7