kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

57 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying , a few million give or take. Whatever the mindset here was that guardians of the galaxy would fail cause “nobody knows who they are”. Some of you are too fixed in these things. Also Mary poppins returns would be huge because the previous Mary poppins film blah blah blah.

I simply don’t believe that BATB was a success because of an animated film over 25 years ago. I don’t believe that 90% of the people that watched this, esp. the female crowd, gave a shit about the old cartoon film.

Guardian of the Galaxy an entry in pretty much the biggest on going and established franchise isn't that good of an example, 170m start would have made it pretty much the biggest first entry movie ever, doubling the OW of Avatar/American Sniper.

I am not sure about the female crowd comment (and it rapidly had a 60-40 female/male split not that special), has if the original and the Disney princess are not particularly popular among that audience.

Talking about a movie that broke pre-sales record and had a 16.3m preview thursday has if the Disney branding, being an almost shot by shot of the original movie a marketed for decade Disney princess being completely irrelevant to that number sound a bit surrealist.

When we look at the Thursday preview gross list

http://www.boxofficereport.com/previewgrosses.html

Nothing get 40% of that kind of numbers without  a pre-established audience, we are really not talking about some word of mouth type of success, we are talking that a little teaser got 100m views in 24 hours, not because it was any good and spread with some word of mouth over time, right away the moment it appeared online from a giant already there fanbase interested in it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Quigley said:

Films that reached $2B during their initial run

Title Days to $2B Opening day Reached $2B
Avengers: Endgame 11 24/04/19 04/05/19
Avengers: Infinity War 48 25/04/18 11/06/18
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 53 16/12/15 06/02/16

Avatar was the fourth film to reach $1B during its initial run. (...)

Nope. The Dark Knight was the fourth. Avatar was the fifth. :P 

• Like 1

Nope. TDK wasn't re-released back then, WB just add 344 theaters DOM in Oscar season. The film was still in theaters, there was no break even for one day, so it was still it's initial run. The very first official re-release that TDK had was last year, during its 10th anniversary.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2551&p=.htm

Edited by Juby

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Nope. TDK wasn't re-released back then, WB just add 344 theaters DOM in Oscar season. The film was still in theaters, there was no break even for one day, so it was still it's initial run. The very first official re-release that TDK had was last year, during its 10th anniversary.

I don't know for other countries, but the Dark Knight was indeed re-released a few days during the end of december 2008 in Belgium after having closed its run previously around september/october. 

I remember clearly.  At the time, its worldwide numbers were around $996M.  I went to see it a third time just before New Year's Eve, after previously seeing it in August 2 times.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I retain from the Endgame  OS performance :

-China is now as big as the US even for movies that usually overperform in the US compared to the rest of the world such as comicbook movies

-The rise of Indonesia, this market is the new Brazil/Mexico/Russia but with even more potential thanks to its bigger, younger population

-India has always been pretty big admission-wise but weak in terms of gross and very focused on local movies, now there is more interest and potential for Hollywood movies, it's definitely promising

-Brazil could be plagued by many issues making its ER a big impediment to gross in USD Endame allows us to see its real long term potential, the potential of a market that is gonna become twice or three times bigger than Japan in the long run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Life goes on said:

You’re wrong.... The Dark Knight needed a re-release to reach the $1 billion milestone. 

Correct.

3 hours ago, Juby said:

Nope. The Dark Knight was the fourth. Avatar was the fifth. :P 

Nope. That's not true. The Dark Knight did not reach $1 billion during its initial run.

The Dark Knight was re-released in January 2009, because it was stuck at $997 million and WB used the Oscar noms as an excuse to re-launch it.

The then-writers at BOM (Brandon Gray and Ray Subers) were so biased in favour of DC that they didn't wanna put the ^ symbol on the movie, which they put on other movies that have been re-released. They branded it a "re-expansion" instead.

Edited by Quigley
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Juby said:

56 minutes ago, Ent said:

I don't know for other countries, but the Dark Knight was indeed re-released a few days during the end of december 2008 in Belgium after having closed its run previously around september/october. 

I remember clearly.  At the time, its worldwide numbers were around $996M.  I went to see it a third time just before New Year's Eve, after previously seeing it in August 2 times.

Ent is right.

For example, look at this chart from the United Kingdom. There's a break between Dec 28 and Jan 30.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=UK&id=darkknight.htm

Same with Mexico:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=MX&id=darkknight.htm

Furthermore, IMDB calls them re-releases as well. Even the US re-release is called a re-release, because it was re-released in IMAX.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_dt_2

Regardless of the above, anyone who is even remotely cynical could tell that this was an excuse to push the film past the $1 billion mark, which it had clearly failed to reach, to the dismay of DC hardcore fans. By the way, I have nothing against the film. It's in my Top 5 favourite superhero films. But we can't just change our box-office standards for this film because we like it. It was a re-release. Period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

By the way there are only 4 movies in 1.4 -1.9B range so for movies to become 2B as norm it will take atleast a decade.... 

👍 

No kidding. 2 billion is still freaking hard to get into. AIW and TFA barely scraped by making it, and Titanic needed a rerelease to make it in. 

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

What I retain from the Endgame  OS performance :

-China is now as big as the US even for movies that usually overperform in the US compared to the rest of the world such as comicbook movies

-The rise of Indonesia, this market is the new Brazil/Mexico/Russia but with even more potential thanks to its bigger, younger population

-India has always been pretty big admission-wise but weak in terms of gross and very focused on local movies, now there is more interest and potential for Hollywood movies, it's definitely promising

-Brazil could be plagued by many issues making its ER a big impediment to gross in USD Endame allows us to see its real long term potential, the potential of a market that is gonna become twice or three times bigger than Japan in the long run.

Good post but Japan for real breakouts are way bigger. Bohemian Rhapsody did way more than Endgame in Brazil. We have not seen mega blockbusters like Frozen. And the best part of Japan is something unexpected breakout than usual suspects. That makes the market more interesting.

• Like 1