kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

So are you against my point or with me? 😅

both?

(in a way)

In Germany its worse than being stagnant, other countries.... the sum/averages...

I have the German ones at hand to confirm the basics of the discussion, its not everywhere an increase to see

• Like 2

I really don't see how it is even an argument.   Titanic was the most outstanding BO run globally followed by Endgame.    Avatar is a rather distant 3rd whose BO numbers were mainly a result of very good reception + premium format ticket prices + best ER situation in ages from an USD perspective.    Almost all numbers proves that.   Now if you wanna rake in the average movie going numbers overall year on year and then compare how much above others Titanic and Endgame were, you may actually find that Endgame edges closer given the surreal amount of entertainment choices we all have today, compared to 1999.    So even if you dig into every factor that is not BO numbers and therefore more likely to be comparable, Charlie's lists based on admissions still act as a great indicator of how good the runs of those movies were.

• Like 9

I seriously didn't expect that Endgame will be so near Titanic, and actually bigger than Titanic first run. 

A case can be made, that Titanic will do bigger in Asia and South America now, but its not going to get 100mn admits in USA as well and majority European countries will drop as well, to 60-70% of original.

And we don't even know if a romantic film will manage that numbers today. Romance was big in India in last decade, its totally dead today.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I seriously didn't expect that Endgame will be so near Titanic, and actually bigger than Titanic first run. 

A case can be made, that Titanic will do bigger in Asia and South America now, but its not going to get 100mn admits in USA as well and majority European countries will drop as well, to 60-70% of original.

And we don't even know if a romantic film will manage that numbers today. Romance was big in India in last decade, its totally dead today.

Titanic would still do gangbusters. Everyone loves boobs.

Edited by infamous5445
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

both?

(in a way)

In Germany its worse than being stagnant, other countries.... the sum/averages...

I have the German ones at hand to confirm the basics of the discussion, its not everywhere an increase to see

Well thats what I mean being stagnant. There will be no increase from the previous and it may decrease or stay as it was but never an increase. Also countries like Argentina are suffering way more. 

47 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well thats what I mean being stagnant. There will be no increase from the previous and it may decrease or stay as it was but never an increase. Also countries like Argentina are suffering way more. 

I know, as said, its about an numbered example. in my POV concrete numbers usually are better than a general description (for the new to the theme readers od dreamers about an alternative reality or why-ever else someone might not be aware, but still have already formed an inaccurate theory).

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Bro enough.... When you are a critic and you get paid for it you have to atleast stay neutral just for the sake of it. You have little responsibility which others don't have. 

Enough? No. The guy tends to give positive reviews to the very franchise you are claiming hes biased against, I'd say he's handled his responsibility well. Everything he's said when comparing avatar to Endgame is correct, what's wrong with him pointing out expanded markets like China when box office analysis is literally his job? Again he's giving people perspective, nothing wrong with that at all.

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

India (Bollywood)

1997: 550mn (90 films)

2009: 230mn (142 films)

2017: 250mn (245 films)

Yeah and Hollywood moves have massively increased in India over the past 10 years so this shit is just misleading 

8 hours ago, honestbharani said:

I really don't see how it is even an argument.   Titanic was the most outstanding BO run globally followed by Endgame.    Avatar is a rather distant 3rd whose BO numbers were mainly a result of very good reception + premium format ticket prices + best ER situation in ages from an USD perspective.    Almost all numbers proves that.   Now if you wanna rake in the average movie going numbers overall year on year and then compare how much above others Titanic and Endgame were, you may actually find that Endgame edges closer given the surreal amount of entertainment choices we all have today, compared to 1999.    So even if you dig into every factor that is not BO numbers and therefore more likely to be comparable, Charlie's lists based on admissions still act as a great indicator of how good the runs of those movies were.

Endgame was only smashing avatars ticket sales in recently developed countries so of course tickets sales are higher. Countries like Mexico, India, China, Indonesia were a fraction of the size they are today. 

Surreal amount of entertainment choices? That's a desperate argument as theres very little evidence that entertainment services today negatively effects top tier movies. Blockbusters today actually have it easier as marketing through social media has become easy, the world now has a platform to generate buzz and WOM, hence why movies today open alot higher than 10-15 years ago, even with inflation.

Fact is Endgame is just 1 of 6 movies to have made 1b this year so far, if 2009 was so favourable then why was Avatar the only movie to even hit that milestone? Use your heads people, theres a reason why box office analysis ain't your jobs, you all suck at it.

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

Enough? No. The guy tends to give positive reviews to the very franchise you are claiming hes biased against, I'd say he's handled his responsibility well. Everything he's said when comparing avatar to Endgame is correct, what's wrong with him pointing out expanded markets like China when box office analysis is literally his job? Again he's giving people perspective, nothing wrong with that at all.

When did I say anything about reviews? If you read his articles about Endgame including previous ones he diminishes Endgames achievement with that the only aspect he is biased. Reviews can be subjective I have nothing against reviews.