kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Russia is dropping 70% this weekend but that market is insanely frontloaded and Endgame had like 7 day OW probably higher than IW.

As long as it can hit $46M, it will be 33% higher than IW. 

Edited by danhtruong5

depending from how close this will be disney will probably push it to pass avatar ,( while to be honest really 10-30 million in either way its not a difference whatsoever its an important milestone) disney even pushed black panther and a wrinkle time ( that was easier yes but really if it comes around 2.60-2.70 it will not be that hard)

I don't think Disney wants EG to pass Avatar. They are hoping that avatar becomes a new tentpole franchise and it's easie to sell "the sequel to the highest grossing movie ever". Also EG beating it would be bad press for it. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Also I knew the that market that was going to fuck EG up was the domestic. It opened with 357 million and is maybe gonna scrap it to 850 million.  sure those numbers are MASSIVE but it could have done more. In my opinion all the OS markets gave it much more than expected so the dom gross is to blame for it not surpassing avatar. Same thing happened with IW failing to beat Titanic - the movie couldn't even scrap 700 million despite breaking OW record.

3 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

I don't think Disney wants EG to pass Avatar. They are hoping that avatar becomes a new tentpole franchise and it's easie to sell "the sequel to the highest grossing movie ever". Also EG beating it would be bad press

No need for that. $2.788B is a base for Avatar 2

19 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

I don't think Disney wants EG to pass Avatar. They are hoping that avatar becomes a new tentpole franchise and it's easie to sell "the sequel to the highest grossing movie ever". Also EG beating it would be bad press for it. 

If EG beats avatar this will give more hype to avatar 2 to restore the record.

3 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Reading through the trend of this thread has been entertaining. 

I knew from the beginning that 3B was absolutely not going to happen: the movie attracted on opening week people who often wait the 2nd or 3rd week of release to see a movie; it's 3hrs long, so that's a problem when your number of screens is limited; it doesn't have IW's rewatchability; it actually has more competition than IW had. The fact it's the last Avengers movie just can't compensate all of that.

Though I didn't expect it to crumble so much, especially in the domestic market.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Omni said:

I knew from the beginning that 3B was absolutely not going to happen: the movie attracted on opening week people who often wait the 2nd or 3rd week of release to see a movie; it's 3hrs long, so that's a problem when your number of screens is limited; it doesn't have IW's rewatchability; it actually has more competition than IW had. The fact it's the last Avengers movie just can't compensate all of that.

Though I didn't expect it to crumble so much, especially in the domestic market.

you know that in the end iw multi from ww ow including china was around 2.4 and endgame ww ow including china multi will be about 2.3+ right ? talking about crumbling

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hadn't AIW's OW neither China nor Russia opening during the 'official' OW,, and AEG only no Russia?

To really compare, shouldn't China - in the case I remember it right - taken out of the OW, their BO added to the sum still, and then calculated a comparison?

I guess then no one would complain anymore?

Same counts for weekend drops: as usually a few countries open later, those tend to soften the OS weekend drops. If only Russia... oh, and I think Japan too (both movies) opened later, less softening of the drops in a big way see China.

China opening big e.g. during the 3rd weekend elsewhere usually can mean even an increase instead of a drop.

To not compare the same, but conclude as if it is the same... sounds to me not logical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

you know that in the end iw multi from ww ow including china was around 2.4 and endgame ww ow including china multi will be about 2.3+ right ? talking about crumbling

That's because the movie did most of its money in its opening week (week! - not OW), which is just what I previously said. EG's upfront demand made it boost a lot not only its OW but its first week (or week+2nd weekend) too. EG made a lot more than IW on its first 7-10 days, and that made many think 3B+ was a realistic goal and Avatar was 100% toasted. After that, though, its OS numbers have been just a little better than IW's, and domestically grosses have been basically identical starting from the end of its 2nd week.

Also, you seem to forget the difference from a 2.3x and a 2.4x multiplier when the opening is so big. It's a 125M difference.

Edited by Omni
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1