kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Well they computer generated Hulk in 2008, that will do for Thanos. Don't think technology stopped Star Wars or LoTR from what they are.

Charlie that's because the hulk is 3x the size of a normal human and morphs from human form, the transformation itself requires CGI. I promise you Thanos would have been a man painted purple!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 5:42 AM, Maximum Avery said:

Ok.. but only if you stop jake and neytiri from spazzing in your profile pic... i cant... i just cant anymore... they will creep into my dreams soon

TTVOMJ

@IronJimbo I love you man but Avery is right here. That is a cursed avatar you have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Its just like saying, Transformers 2 did 65mn so Avatar can never do 100mn in 2010.

True, the screens have increased in China but that doesn't mean same increase in audience. There was audience for 200mn in 2010 (ffs we are talking about 1.3 billion people). Endgame has 85mn admissions in China. Can't believe it would lose 9/10 of that in 2010 because ATP of Avatar and Endgame are almost same.

2012 was original film. Transformers 2, agreed big in China but still can't match 11 years of a beloved franchise and story finale. Say whatever you think. If believing 200mn is ceiling in 2010 and 850 today. Endgame did 74% of that, that will be 150mn Approx.

The ceiling of China today should be over 1B, take Wolf Warrior 2 admission in 2017 - apply potential admission increase over the past 2 years, + whatever inflation there is in the past two years + extremely high ratio of premium showing + 3D (which Avatar had). It's just that a movie like Avatar isn't coming out to test China's true ceiling. 

Also, saying $200M is the ceiling in China in 2010 and compare it to Wolf Warrior 2's gross (and use that as the China ceiling in 2019) then apply endgame as a % of WW2 ignores one major thing: WW2 doesn't represent a "paradigm shift", the same way Avatar did, such paradigm shift created "pre Avatar China" and "Post Avatar China", and completely expanded Chinese market. Endgame releasing in 2009 without "post Avatar China" drastic shift, I don't think should be significantly bigger than the market's perceived ceiling at the time, which is basically 2012 and Transformers 2. It takes something revolutionary to change the dynamic of a market, and drive out the people who don't see Hollywood much in 2009, since Endgame is more evolutionary, I buy that it can creates a new Hollywood high at 2009, but I think that "new high" is pretty close to the "new high" 2012 created. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

The ceiling of China today should be over 1B, take Wolf Warrior 2 admission in 2017 - apply potential admission increase over the past 2 years, + whatever inflation there is in the past two years + extremely high ratio of premium showing + 3D (which Avatar had). It's just that a movie like Avatar isn't coming out to test China's true ceiling. 

Also, saying $200M is the ceiling in China in 2010 and compare it to Wolf Warrior 2's gross (and use that as the China ceiling in 2019) then apply endgame as a % of WW2 ignores one major thing: WW2 doesn't represent a "paradigm shift", the same way Avatar did, such paradigm shift created "pre Avatar China" and "Post Avatar China", and completely expanded Chinese market. Endgame releasing in 2009 without "post Avatar China" drastic shift, I don't think should be significantly bigger than the market's perceived ceiling at the time, which is basically 2012 and Transformers 2. It takes something revolutionary to change the dynamic of a market, and drive out the people who don't see Hollywood much in 2009, since Endgame is more evolutionary, I buy that it can creates a new Hollywood high at 2009, but I think that "new high" is pretty close to the "new high" 2012 created. 

Pretty sure, no Hollywood film is going to beat Wolf Warrior 2 admissions. That's simply how it is.

Wandering Earth despite having great WOM fell short, In fact Wandering Earth will be good target for Hollywood.

Yeah I'm with @IronJimbo on this one that it's a futile exercise to try and accurately predict how the MCU would do if you move it back 10 years. Same with why 2009/10 had to be when Avatar came out because 2005/06 was when Cameron was ready to take that giant leap to make the film. 

Before Avatar there was some very good motion capture performances (Davy Jones still holds up to this day) so maybe Thanos would have still been motion capture but of course the decision was made 100x easier with the breakthroughs Avatar made in 2009. Regardless safe to say both had the perfect storm and that's why they're the two highest grossing films of all time by a decent margin.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:47 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

Unless some miracle expansion or stabilising. Avatar is dead.

It was a nice dream, for however long it lasted.

So I think Endgame’s longest lasting record will be biggest grossing disappointment. 

EDIT: I keed I keed. But that’s what you’d think reading the past 20 pages.

endgame-projection.jpg

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Pretty sure, no Hollywood film is going to beat Wolf Warrior 2 admissions. That's simply how it is.

Wandering Earth despite having great WOM fell short, In fact Wandering Earth will be good target for Hollywood.

Charlie, what could a film do today if it catches the zeitgeist like Avatar or Titanic? Titanic basically did DOM TFA-tier-numbers in every country in the world. What’s the ceiling for such a film (not saying Avatar 2 will be that film)?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

So I think Endgame’s longest lasting record will be biggest grossing disappointment. 

EDIT: I keed I keed. But that’s what you’d think reading the past 20 pages.

endgame-projection.jpg

There's so much material out there! :lol:

There's : Avatar is not the target anymore, 3B locked, looking at 3.2B+

There's also: if Endgame is released in Christmas slot like Avatar, 3.5B is very possible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Charlie, what could a film do today if it catches the zeitgeist like Avatar or Titanic? Titanic basically did DOM TFA-tier-numbers in every country in the world. What’s the ceiling for such a film (not saying Avatar 2 will be that film)?

Perhaps $4-4.5Billion for Titanic.

Titanic is agreeably bigger than Endgame and much bigger than Avatar. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Perhaps $5 Billion.

Titanic is agreeably bigger than Endgame and much bigger than Avatar.

Charlie come to the Avatar 2 thread and breakdown it making 4 billies for us

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

No it can't, you're right.

I absolutely do not intend to deny that MCU is world's biggest franchise, and what MCU has been able to do is nothing short of amazing. I'm only narrowly focusing on defending Avatar's single film run, which is constantly being underestimated, belittled and even ridiculed over the years. To see the same thing happening here is a little disheartening. 

edit: wait, is that what you're saying? I don't really understand that sentence to be honest....

No one is underestimating that film. It shattered the record just like Titantic. However it's completely fair to point out that exchange rates absolutely suck right now in comparison to Avatars. Original Avatar would have exploded today no doubt but better? Impossible to say.

People who belittle the most dominant film of that era typically do it in retaliation. They shouldn't but all of you collectively crap on End Game endlessly, praying it doesn't beat the record while fantasizing about Avatar 2 making 4 billion, a movie delayed 6 years thus far. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Charlie come to the Avatar 2 thread and breakdown it making 4 billies for us

Did Charlie originally say $5B and changed it because it sounded too bullish?

I am in agreement Charlie!!!! Titanic is a $5B worthy performance! ;):lol::)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I am not sure if it will do 2.5 Billie even. If China dumped it, I don't sew 2 Billie happening either.

I'm not kidding most in that thread think 3B is the floor. It's nuts. I fully admit it could break the record but it needs to go nuts in China (700) and have everything go right for it. Legs will have to be monstrous but it won't sniff 350/1.2b in OW.

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

People who belittle the most dominant film of that era typically do it in retaliation. They shouldn't but all of you collectively crap on End Game endlessly, praying it doesn't beat the record while fantasizing about Avatar 2 making 4 billion, a movie delayed 6 years thus far. 

Nah, I didn't skip more than 3 hours of sleep today to "crap on EndGame endlessly", it's just that people are doing mental gymnastics and start to endlessly belittling Avatar's performance yet again.... So I just can't help but defend poor Avatar, yet again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Did Charlie originally say $5B and changed it because it sounded too bullish?

I am in agreement Charlie, Titanic is a $5B worthy performance! ;):lol::)

Titantic released today could so that. Or it could 2B because of exchange rates and the fact that comparing 1997 to 2019 is insane. Piracy, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, all other streaming sites, it's nothing like it was back then. 

Top-end computers had a cost of $2500-3k for desktop PCs 

Now for less than half you can get a loaded notebook. About $600 probably in 1997 dollars. Hell for the equivalent of $100 or less you can get devices to stream Netflix. It's a different world.