kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I've no problem with Cameron fans. I just think that they should change their mindset that only Cameron can/should/will dethrone Cameron. he pulled it off twice, awesome, hats off to him. But nothing lasts forever so accept that he's already dethroned by JJ Abrams domestically so whether he'll be dethroned by Russos (a step up from Abrams, imo) or another really doesn't matter once it happened. No point holding onto WW or OS record for dear life. It's natural that another movie will do it eventually, and it natural that it's not going to be his movie. It's really no big deal. he spent 18 years (til TFA) virtually unchalleneged which is a rare feet. Asking for more is just an overkill. Now I'm gonna shut up about this topic. 

No offense but Russo brothers have not done anything outside MCU which is driven by Feige. they have driven classic like you me and dupree.

JJ has done tremendous work in Television where he has created time tested series and also directed MI3, Trek and SW. He produced Cloverfield as well.

When Russo does something special outside a system we can compare them to JJ.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

No offense but Russo brothers have not done anything outside MCU which is driven by Feige. they have driven classic like you me and dupree.

JJ has done tremendous work in Television where he has created time tested series and also directed MI3, Trek and SW. He produced Cloverfield as well.

When Russo does something special outside a system we can compare them to JJ.

I'm not a fan of Abrams as a director and think that all Russo's MCU movies are better directed than Abrams movies. he shows promise here and there but then reverts to just being a poor imitator. In TFA in particular, outside of Rey alone on Jakku, interrogation, and Rey and Kylo fight (from Rey pulling the saber to the cliff stand off - magical moments), everything else was pedestrian af. Dogfight in particular must be the most lifeless, boring one in history of dogfights. Ditto Star trek, STiD was shit from start to finish, while ST09 had really great opening with George Kirk and Kobayashi Maru. the rest very derivative saved by strong cast. I think that people like his movies more because he has knack for casting actors with great chemistry than for being actually good. Again, just my opinion. 

Edited by Valonqar

17 hours ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

The thing I don't understand so much about Cameron love (and I respect the hell out of Cameron) is that where does the emotional connection come from with his fans.

This also illustrates a problem that I very often encounter with online fandom, is that they don't seem to understand how others can connect to completely different things than they do. 

I'll explain my "Cameron connection" for you: Titanic, which is possibily the single biggest film in the past 50 years worldwide, has deeply touched me and made me fall in love with movie at a time when going to the theaters would be a luxury for us back in China, where western cultures aren't nearly as accessible as it is now. Avatar made me truly appreciate the theater going experience when I was perfectly happy with pirating a lot of films online back then, and I have been going to the theaters frequently ever since. Avatar was also the first film which I felt created a world that I wanted to immerse myself in, and I can't wait to revisit that world again.

Even ignoring all this, the fact that I have to explain why I am not fascinated by MCU and instead have a deep connection to Jim Cameron speaks volumes to the nature these online box office communities. You would think that admiring the greatest living legend in box office on a Box Office focused forum shouldn't be something to be ashamed of, you would think that a box office centric forum wouldn't be filled with people belittling and ridiculing Cameron's accomplishments and works, and laughing at those who admires him. Yet here we are.

No, I'm not jumping on Cameron bandwagon like hopping on the best sport team, I'm defending Cameron in a place where he deserves to be far more respected. Us Cameron fans are not the cheerleaders of the biggest sport team, not in this strange reality, we're merely survivors in a community constantly hosting shouting matches between MCU, Star Wars, DCEU, Harry Potter, and just trying to find a voice of our own.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Doctor Stark said:

The Cameron fanboys and MCU haters are such a joke.  Even the subreddit is plagued with it, the Endgame $2.7 billion celebration thread is overrun by "IT WON’T BEAT AVATAR!" and James Cameron/Avatar circle jerks.  Just because some people got their hopes super high and did not take into account the effect of the ridiculous opening weekend on legs (I am guilty of this) which made their predictions reach mad heights does not mean Endgame failed.  Decent legs even for a smaller opener, did not collapse, just did not follow past trends for A+ CinemaScore (though it probably did in terms of raw dollars made after opening).  It just annoys me how this is overshadowing Endgame’s achievement. You were basically called a moron if you predicted it to reach the Avatar ballpark, even Titanic and Infinity War were in question.  Whether it passes Avatar with a push does not really matter, it blew away every pre-release expectation.  Gauging the movie off of the inflated high of post-opening weekend predictions is stupid and troll-worthy.  These Cameron trolls bring this website down and screw up lots of other threads without consequence.  They can make their ridiculous predictions like $4 billion for Avatar 2, yet now laugh at some higher end, optimistic predictions for Endgame during the apex of hype.  Any of those Endgame predictions were way more likely than any prediction you see in the Avatar 2 thread, even if unlikely.  I would love to see an amazing run from Avatar 2, I just can’t believe the hypocrisy.

The problem is most of the Cameron "fans" stick in the Avatar 2 thread, and there are always a few who come out of there and cause trouble. They're obviously not always the ones who cause this kind of emotional response from people here, but from what I've seen, its more often then not them. But enough about that, don't want to get the thread locked again.

Edited by infamous5445
  • Haha 1

It's not about Cameron or JJ or Russo, it's about every cast and crew, production, marketing, financial, and so much more.

I think there are lots of films directed by them that bombed.

22 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

you would think that a box office centric forum wouldn't be filled with people belittling and ridiculing Cameron's accomplishments and works, and laughing at those who admires him. Yet here we are.

No, I'm not jumping on Cameron bandwagon like hopping on the best sport team, I'm defending Cameron in a place where he deserves to be far more respected. Us Cameron fans are not the cheerleaders of the biggest sport team, not in this strange reality, we're merely survivors in a community constantly hosting shouting matching between MCU, Star Wars, DCEU, Harry Potter, and just trying to find a voice of our own.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, TimmyRiggins said:

Man, fuck Latin America on this,

On 2/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, shayhiri said:

They will never again see backwaters Latin America as the setting of a big movie (and when was the last time it ever happened??) - so I guess they should care...

Yeah, truly a mystery why people take issue with Cameron stans. And you really aren't above their condescending attitude in general. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Thanks @Pure Spirit for that effort!

I didn't realize this earlier, but actually Charlie and Zatt sounded surprisingly similar early in Endgame's run, I am having quite a laugh. The only difference is that Charlie accepted the change in reality after seeing numbers and trends.

Report button is the top right right corner flag icon for all who don't know. 

Back to EG tracking. Interested to see if actuals jump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • ...wtf 1

Moderation

The following are receiving 48 hour thread bans for ignoring multiple warnings about focusing the discussion on Endgame's box office in this thread.  Don't respond.  Report.  Don't get triggered.

@Doctor Stark

@GOATPeterJackson

@Valonqar

@NCsoft

@infamous5445

@salvador-232

@danhtruong5

@Maximum Avery would have also been threadbanned if not for their suspension.

All formal 0 point warnings have now been issued. The thread ban is from the time of this post. 

NIRD

[EDIT:AND DON’T QUOTE ANY OFF TOPIC POSTS]

Regards

BOT Staff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Sometimes I gotta admire the thick skins some people here got, I only skim through some comments and already feel the secondhand embarrassment, yet the people who wrote them continue to recycle the same crap at every chance with no shame. Yikes. 

At this point, might as well just close down this thread, otherwise, someone gotta pay @DeeCee for all the time he wasted and headaches suffered moderating and cleaning up this mess.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Okay, lets try and look at some actual numbers.

Endgame was at $2,616,850,987 with actuals at the end of May 19th and $2,681,988,528 with actuals at the end of May 26th. That means it grossed $65,137,541 worldwide in the full 7-day week ending on May 26th. The breakdown of that number is:

Domestic: $27,164,103

China: $4,431,000 (last set of weekdays before the run ended)

OS-China: $33,542,438

With the estimates in on Sunday, Endgame is now at $2,713,201,784 as of 6/2. Subtracting out from the May 26th numbers, that means that Endgame grossed $31,213,256 worldwide in the full 7-day week ending today June 2nd. Since China's run is over, that makes the breakdown:

Domestic: $16,969,306 (-37.5% for the full 7-days, but this was Memorial Day boosted)

China: $0

OS-China: $14,243,950 (-57.5% for the full 7-days)

So we can see here that over the full week Endgame suffered another big drop overseas of -57.5%. Even if we assume that the actuals come in say $2m higher, that would still be a -51.6% drop. Either way, it's over 50%. Since Endgame has been consistently dropping over 50% pretty much every single week overseas, we can thus project an artificial soft-cap on it's OS-China final using the sum of a geometric series with a ratio 0.5. That gives a soft-cap on it's final OS-China total of 1.283B. Unless Endgame can start holding better than 50% each week, it will not finish higher than this number. China's number is already locked in at 629m, which gives a final OS soft-cap total of 1.912B. However, I would not be surprised to see it come in under both of those respective numbers simply due to the adverse drops it has been having.

Domestically, if Endgame matches Infinity War dailies from here on out, it finishes at around 854m. However, Endgame has started to trail Infinity War dailies significantly, and thus appears to be headed for a total around 840-850m.

Adding those all together, that gives a worldwide soft-cap of approximately 2.762B. However, the final gross will likely end up lower than this by a few million due to the range on the domestic take and Endgame likely not be able to hit that soft-cap number overseas. At the risk of opening another can of worms... that means #1 first release at ~$2.755B is NOT locked and actually looks like it might be a photo finish.

Of course, there are a number of unknowns like whether we see re-releases, expansions, fudging, etc. But from the info we have available at the moment, this appears to be the course it's charting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was sticking with my domestic prediction at $842M for the whole 3 weeks, but after this weekend I think it is the best case scenario right now (it might happen if fans mobilize themselfs with Spider-Man premiere, or if Disney do some expansion in mid / end of July). If not, I think it might finish in $835-839 mln range. I hope now no one would be crazy enough to write "$865M predictions", cause even $850M is dead and gone at this point.

If China really is $629M, and assuming it will end up with $841M domestic (optimistic prediction) = $$1.47B from these two markets. Endgame still needs at least $1.319B from the rest of the world to beat Avatar's record. Sorry, but it's impossible.

$2.76-2.77B worldwide, no more. And I don't think re-release will help, cause in August the movie will go digital, and early September will be available on 4K / Blu-ray / DVD. Absolutely amazing, jaw dropping run for Avengers, but Avatar is safe.

• Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Juby said:

I was sticking with my domestic prediction at $842M for the whole 3 weeks, but after this weekend I think it is the best case scenario right now (it might happen if fans mobilize themselfs with Spider-Man premiere, or if Disney do some expansion in mid / end of July). If not, I think it might finish in $835-839 mln range. I hope now no one would be crazy enough to write "$865M predictions", cause even $850M is dead and gone at this point.

If China really is $629M, and assuming it will end up with $841M domestic (optimistic prediction) = $$1.47B from these two markets. Endgame still needs at least $1.319B from the rest of the world to beat Avatar's record. Sorry, but it's impossible.

$2.76-2.77B worldwide, no more. And I don't think re-release will help, cause in August the movie will go digital, and early September will be available on 4K / Blu-ray / DVD. Absolutely amazing, jaw dropping run for Avengers, but Avatar is safe.

No offense but that makes no sense. Avatar went to Bluray/dvd in April 2010. The special edition came out in late August.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Mojo has the Special Edition re-release at:

Domestic: $10,741,486

Overseas: $22,469,358

Total: $33,210,844

If you subtract that from the current worldwide total, that gets you $2,754,754,243 as the 1st run record.

But $5m was added in years 2010-2019, because Avatar hadn't stop being in theaters all around the world (for example Czech rep had seen Avatar's re-release in 2013)

1 hour ago, AndyChrono said:

Okay, lets try and look at some actual numbers.

Endgame was at $2,616,850,987 with actuals at the end of May 19th and $2,681,988,528 with actuals at the end of May 26th. That means it grossed $65,137,541 worldwide in the full 7-day week ending on May 26th. The breakdown of that number is:

Domestic: $27,164,103

China: $4,431,000 (last set of weekdays before the run ended)

OS-China: $33,542,438

With the estimates in on Sunday, Endgame is now at $2,713,201,784 as of 6/2. Subtracting out from the May 26th numbers, that means that Endgame grossed $31,213,256 worldwide in the full 7-day week ending today June 2nd. Since China's run is over, that makes the breakdown:

Domestic: $16,969,306 (-37.5% for the full 7-days, but this was Memorial Day boosted)

So we can see here that over the full week Endgame suffered another big drop overseas of -57.5%. Even if we assume that the actuals come in say $2m higher, that would still be a -51.6% drop. Either way, it's over 50%. Since Endgame has been consistently dropping over 50% pretty much every single week overseas, we can thus project an artificial soft-cap on it's OS-China final using the sum of a geometric series with a ratio 0.5. That gives a soft-cap on it's final OS-China total of 1.283B. Unless Endgame can start holding better than 50% each week, it will not finish higher than this number. China's number is already locked in at 629m, which gives a final OS soft-cap total of 1.912B. However, I would not be surprised to see it come in under both of those respective numbers simply due to the adverse drops it has been having.

Domestically, if Endgame matches Infinity War dailies from here on out, it finishes at around 854m. However, Endgame has started to trail Infinity War dailies significantly, and thus appears to be headed for a total around 840-850m.

Adding those all together, that gives a worldwide soft-cap of approximately 2.762B. However, the final gross will likely end up lower than this by a few million due to the range on the domestic take and Endgame likely not be able to hit that soft-cap number overseas. At the risk of opening another can of worms... that means #1 first release at ~$2.755B is NOT locked and actually looks like it might be a photo finish.

Of course, there are a number of unknowns like whether we see re-releases, expansions, fudging, etc. But from the info we have available at the moment, this appears to be the course it's charting.

Hmm... some things that I’d like to note:

This number is incorrect, because it doesn’t take in consideration the estimates for OS-C this weekend. BOM didn’t update that, but BOR is saying $8.6m:

Your $1.912B OS prediction doesn’t seem feasible to me since it just made another estimated $8.6m this weekend for a $1.898B total, with a possibility of being even above that.

And there might be some confusion with the weekdays numbers OS-C this week. The estimates last week came with $17.1m, but another $2.2m were added with the actuals OS-C last Tuesday, when the OS-C actuals came. 

Basically what I’m saying is that once we have the actuals tomorrow we’ll be able to paint a clearer picture where it’s heading.

Edited by ZattMurdock