kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Avatar held the record for so long, thanks to Europe box office dumping like stone and ER getting shit.

Fixed it for you.

The record is only broken because the market has increased substantially. I've already proven this to you 

Edited by Chucky

1 hour ago, infamous5445 said:

Yeah but it's Scotty. He somehow makes every achievement of Endgame seem not that impressive. It's actually quite a talent.

I think hes just adding perspective, pretty sure most of his marvel reviews are positive. I'm sure had any move just topped the record after 10 years of market expansion and inflation he would bring up the same points, box office analysis is his job after all 

40 minutes ago, Menor said:

Only 405 million? Huh. But I guess many international markets were so small back then.

Yeah the overseas market was tiny compared to what it is now. Those numbers show Endgame to be a similar size hit to what titanic was in it's time, but they are far from similar 

8 minutes ago, Chucky said:

I think hes just adding perspective, pretty sure most of his marvel reviews are positive. I'm sure had any move just topped the record after 10 years of market expansion and inflation he would bring up the same points, box office analysis is his job after all 

He's pretty biased. He straightforwardly said he likes Avatar. He is always diminishing Endgames achievement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Yeah the overseas market was tiny compared to what it is now. Those numbers show Endgame to be a similar size hit to what titanic was in it's time, but they are far from similar 

This is partially true. While Asia has grown Europe and Japan has become stagnant

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Most watched films worldwide in last 25 Years.

1. Titanic: 405mn (Including 40mn 3D re-release)
  2. Avengers: Endgame: 390mn
  3. Avengers: Infinity War: 300mn Approx
  4. Avatar: 289mn 

Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be around 220mn Approx

First run as % of world pop:  

Titanic 6.2%

Endgame 5.05%

IW 3.9%

TFA 3%

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nero said:

He's pretty biased. He straightforwardly said he likes Avatar. He is always diminishing Endgames achievement.

But who isnt a little biased? I'd say alot of people here are biased, it's in our nature to be. I'd admit to being biased, despite thinking Endgame is a better movie I'm more biased towards Avatars run because its gross was just alot more special. We rarely see leggy runs like that, especially when they are that high in their gross

Just now, Chucky said:

ET should be on this list somewhere. Poor E.T is always overlooked and its first run was fantastic 

I’d love to add ET, SW OT, JP, Jaws, Godfather, but I can only do % when I’m given raw admits, and Jat stuck to the most recent 25 years this summer to make the work more manageable (and because the info is more reliable and easily available, I assume).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’d love to add ET, SW OT, JP, Jaws, Godfather, but I can only do % when I’m given raw admits, and Jat stuck to the most recent 25 years this summer to make the work more manageable (and because the info is more reliable and easily available, I assume).

It wouldn't make sense to go beyond mid 90s or even 90s as cinema across world had many changes.

As per @dada China was regularly getting 100mn plus admissions at dirt cheap rates pre mid-90s. There's Sholay over 325mn admissions in just India & USSR in 1970s & 1980s. So 25 years is best comp, however then also films in 90s or early 20s are favoured with less threat from other mediums.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It wouldn't make sense to go beyond mid 90s or even 90s as cinema across world had many changes.

As per @dada China was regularly getting 100mn plus admissions at dirt cheap rates pre mid-90s. There's Sholay over 325mn admissions in just India & USSR in 1970s & 1980s. So 25 years is best comp, however then also films in 90s or early 20s are favoured with less threat from other mediums.

It also wouldnt make sense to go beyond 10 years but here we are

I was surprised to find that the current population is actually closer in % to 10B than to population at time of Titanic. With fertility and growth rates slowing it might take until past 2050 to see a comparable amount of global pop growth, and I doubt cinema is in a recognizable state by that point.

10 hours ago, Chucky said:

But who isnt a little biased? I'd say alot of people here are biased, it's in our nature to be. I'd admit to being biased, despite thinking Endgame is a better movie I'm more biased towards Avatars run because its gross was just alot more special. We rarely see leggy runs like that, especially when they are that high in their gross

Bro enough.... When you are a critic and you get paid for it you have to atleast stay neutral just for the sake of it. You have little responsibility which others don't have.