SLAM!

Serenity (2018) | Aviron Pictures | 10/19/18 | starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jason Clarke, Djimon Hounsou, and Diane Lane | dir. Steven Knight (Locke)

On 1/24/2019 at 8:59 PM, TombRaider said:

The McConaissance literally just the oscar and interstellar. lasted 2 years. he should considering himself lucky because actresses are NOT able to come back to a succesful level after a string of bombs and bad rom coms

Well no, it was much bigger than that, he got Interstellar role because Nolan saw an early screening of Mud made at the start of the McConnaissance (2011).

McConnaissance was that almost perfect streak of movies (that was overall raising in scope and quality)

74 Interstellar Nov 5, 2014 Cooper / Cooper 8.5
75 The Wolf of Wall Street Dec 25, 2013 Mark Hanna / Mark Hanna 6.8
84 Dallas Buyers Club Nov 1, 2013 Ron Woodroof / Ron Woodroof 8.2
76 Mud Apr 26, 2013 Mud / Mud 8.1
45 The Paperboy Oct 5, 2012 Ward Jansen 5.7
62 Killer Joe Jul 27, 2012 Killer Joe Cooper 6.6
72 Magic Mike Jun 29, 2012 Dallas / Dallas 6.0
75 Bernie Apr 27, 2012 Danny Buck Davidson / Danny Buck 7.3
63 The Lincoln Lawyer Mar 18, 2011 Mickey Haller 7.4

With True Detective Season in the mix.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well no, it was much bigger than that, he got Interstellar role because Nolan saw an early screening of Mud that started is McConnaissance.

McConnaissance was that almost perfect streak of movies (that was overall raising in scope and quality)

74 Interstellar Nov 5, 2014 Cooper / Cooper 8.5
75 The Wolf of Wall Street Dec 25, 2013 Mark Hanna / Mark Hanna 6.8
84 Dallas Buyers Club Nov 1, 2013 Ron Woodroof / Ron Woodroof 8.2
76 Mud Apr 26, 2013 Mud / Mud 8.1
45 The Paperboy Oct 5, 2012 Ward Jansen 5.7
62 Killer Joe Jul 27, 2012 Killer Joe Cooper 6.6
72 Magic Mike Jun 29, 2012 Dallas / Dallas 6.0
75 Bernie Apr 27, 2012 Danny Buck Davidson / Danny Buck 7.3
63 The Lincoln Lawyer Mar 18, 2011 Mickey Haller 7.4

With True Detective Season in the mix.

2/5 of those flopped and nobody remembers them

ps: Serenity 5-6M (39m budget)

10 hours ago, Gamera said:

Let's not forget Hathaway's worst, and most hilarious performance....feigning surprise and cooing "it came true" when she won the Oscar after having won every single other award that year.

So she is the Taylor Swift of movies.

Or is Taylor Swift the Anne Hathaway of countrified pop/poppy country music?

• Like 1

Sounds like a movie that takes a great big swing. I always respect that. 

I've never understood the Anne Hathaway hate, something really weird about the tone of it to me. 

Also, any conversation about Matthew McCanaughey needs to take a moment to appreciate the awesomeness of Frailty. One of the great underrated horrors of this century. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

55 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

When I think of the McConaissance, True Detective is the top of the list. It feels like a long time ago now. But for the few months during and straight after that show he was the coolest guy on the planet.

Image result for rust cohle gif kill yourself

I just love how people try to pretend the writing of True Detective started to get ridiculous until Season 2.

Suuuuuuuure.

Jan.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

When I think of the McConaissance, True Detective is the top of the list. It feels like a long time ago now. But for the few months during and straight after that show he was the coolest guy on the planet.

Image result for rust cohle gif kill yourself

i'm convinced that this is what really won him the oscar. like when bryan cranston got nominated for trumbo. c'mon that was a nomination for breaking bad.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TombRaider said:

i remember there was a lot of backlash for anne back then. everyone found her super annoying, and the short hair certainly didnt help. i never really cared for her as an actress tbh. the only movie of hers i loved was prada and that had more to do with meryl & emily blunt

I can't stand Anne and can't stand Meryl and yet every time Prada comes on cable, I watch it.  Certain movies are just really re-watchable, I guess..

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm convinced that this is what really won him the oscar. like when bryan cranston got nominated for trumbo. c'mon that was a nomination for breaking bad.

Might end up being the case for Mahershala Ali this year too if he wins.