baumer

Life of the Party (2018)

Grade it  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'll give credit to the husband-wife team of Ben Falcone and Melissa McCarthy where it's due and say that their filmmaking collaborations are improving with each new film. Their first (Tammy) was lame as fuck. Their second (The Boss) had a smattering of laughs, but was still mediocre. Their third almost gets a passing grade, but stops short. Maybe their fourth (set for Christmas '19) will get it right. There's nothing bad about Life of the Party (McCarthy remains a charming presence); it's just kinda bland and the jokes are largely absent (and the PG-13 rating assures that things don't get too crazy within the college setting). It's such an innocuous movie that it's hard imagining anyone actually hating it, but at the same time, it's hard to recommend going out of your way to see beyond a Discount Tuesday, despite the always game efforts of its star. C+

Edited by filmlover

I didn't love or hate LOTP but I don't regret seeing it. Most of the laughs and bits are pretty forgettable although the film, as a whole, is entertaining enough. I thought the restaurant scene was hilarious once it was revealed that Deanna was banging the son of her ex-husband's new gf. That was easily the best moment of the film. The coma girl and the odd roommate also generated some laughs from me. The other big moments, like Deanna's oral presentation to her Anthropology class were more groan worthy than funny. 

Overall, the film is mediocre and only worth seeing if you feel like a comedy and have seen everything else. That being said, I still liked it more than AIW because it didn't bore me.

6/10

Halfway in I was like “this is so middle of the road”.

Then there are 3 scenes quite close to each other that made me laugh out loud. Like reallllly laugh out loud. 

Much much better than The Boss and Tammy which I didn’t like.