That One Girl

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins | July 23 2021 | Robert Schwentke | Henry Golding is Snake Eyes

saw the trailer in front of Fast 9. This looks like a generic ninja movie with GI Joe slapped onto it. and ORIGINS? Really? Do they really want to remind people of that failed X-Men series? Haven't seen Henry Golding in anything but he seems pretty charismatic so a shame he is being set up to fall with a flop

Slapping "GI Joe Origins" onto the title makes this thing feel cheap. Who cares about the origins of GI Joe characters? 

In the UK GI Joe was repackaged as Action Man when i was younger so i have 0 affinity for this franchise, maybe Americans care. I don't know. 

14 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

You've literally just blown my mind. Action Man was GI Joe this whole time!

gihf-6828-1.jpg

mam-snake-eyes-01.jpg

The 90s version i grew up with started as direct copies of GI Joe. Hasbro UK started to make the Action Man line it's own thing and thus moved Action Man to ditch guns and focus on sci-fi/xtreme sports, but GI Joe and Action Man would still share parts/accesories.

• Astonished 2

I wonder how much this cost.  I got the vibe from what they've said about the movie and the trailers themselves that this is a much much smaller budget and scale wise from the previous Joes and blockbusters in general, entirely focused on good choreography rather than big explosion cgi setpieces. If it cost under 100m i bet this could succeed with total numbers in line or slightly less than RoC/Retaliation and the franchise can continue, i hope it does, I have a childhood fondness for GI Joe and the Snake Eyes character

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I wonder how much this cost.  I got the vibe from what they've said about the movie and the trailers themselves that this is a much much smaller budget and scale wise from the previous Joes and blockbusters in general, entirely focused on good choreography rather than big explosion cgi setpieces. If it cost under 100m i bet this could succeed with total numbers in line or slightly less than RoC/Retaliation and the franchise can continue, i hope it does, I have a childhood fondness for GI Joe and the Snake Eyes character

This could do very well if it matches or falls around Retaliation's numbers. It's a Summer action movie offered at a time when moviegoers want that kind of movie (or so they say), so I'm optimistic. If there's any cause for worry in my mind, it's a similarity in tone between Snake Eyes and Black Widow.

• Like 1

I get why they slapped the “Origins” tag, remind the GI Joe faithful that it’s from that property universe but those movies have little to value now to really milk from. Live by IP, die by IP.

Whether it’s budget, I remarked elsewhere that I kept forgetting this drops next week and there ain’t much buzz online. I’m all for a Ninja movie and I have fondness for those childhood toys, but…..I can wait another 45 something days.

7 hours ago, RRA said:

I get why they slapped the “Origins” tag, remind the GI Joe faithful that it’s from that property universe but those movies have little to value now to really milk from. Live by IP, die by IP.

Whether it’s budget, I remarked elsewhere that I kept forgetting this drops next week and there ain’t much buzz online. I’m all for a Ninja movie and I have fondness for those childhood toys, but…..I can wait another 45 something days.

Honestly I think they're playing it smart by not pushing too hard on the GI Joe connection (yes I know it's still there). They're selling the movie more as a fun ninja movie rather than a big franchise play and I think that's a better sell for people. There's a reason why "GI Joe Origins" is crammed into the corner on the movie's logo