The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

42 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I just think a lot of elements of the film feel super clunky. Sadness is still great as a character and Bing Bong's sacrifice still makes me cry but it just doesn't feel very cohesive as a whole.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I do agree partly with you.

For me, the movie lacked the uber-originality everyone else found, since when I was a little kid, I saw (and enjoyed) the attraction in Disney World that obviously inspired this movie...and I didn't think this movie did all that much more than that attraction...so, it didn't "wow" me on that, and I saw some of the clunkiness Ethan talks about...

Now, it's still a really good movie, but for me, not a "Pixar Best"...that stays with Toy Story's series:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

I can remember seeing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade during the summer of 89.  It was the summer I got my driver's license and I went to the drive in for the first time with my girlfriend and her friend and my friend.  This was opening night.  I couldn't wait to see the movie.  Indy is my favourite character and I love the movies.  Just before the film was about to start, the girl I was with started to make out with me and then she started to touch me in sexual ways.  I was excited about this, but also nervous that I was going to miss the start of the movie.  So when she made a move to give me a (Not safe work)

Spoiler

blowjob

, I politely pushed her away and said "let's just watch the movie first".  Now, this girl was stunningly beautiful, probably a step above my class, and she wanted to do things to me that were every 17 year old's dream.  And I just wanted to watch a movie.  She was angry, but I did't care.  The movie turned out to be everything I hoped it would be and more.  After the movie, I took her home and attempted to cash in on that

Spoiler

blowjob

.  She stormed into the house without me and we broke up about 3 days later.  But it was worth it.  There's a million fine women out there, but only a few that understand what it's like to see your most anticipated film opening night.  :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I can remember seeing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade during the summer of 89.  It was the summer I got my driver's license and I went to the drive in for the first time with my girlfriend and her friend and my friend.  This was opening night.  I couldn't wait to see the movie.  Indy is my favourite character and I love the movies.  Just before the film was about to start, the girl I was with started to make out with me and then she started to touch me in sexual ways.  I was excited about this, but also nervous that I was going to miss the start of the movie.  So when she made a move to give me a (Not safe work)

Reveal hidden contents

, I politely pushed her away and said "let's just watch the movie first".  Now, this girl was stunningly beautiful, probably a step above my class, and she wanted to do things to me that were every 17 year old's dream.  And I just wanted to watch a movie.  She was angry, but I did't care.  The movie turned out to be everything I hoped it would be and more.  After the movie, I took her home and attempted to cash in on that

Reveal hidden contents

.  She stormed into the house without me and we broke up about 3 days later.  But it was worth it.  There's a million fine women out there, but only a few that understand what it's like to see your most anticipated film opening night.  :sparta:

Good on you, if only because couples that go crazy in the theater ruin the film for people around them.

I don’t get the point of paying money to see a movie only to ignore that movie to have sex.  You can easily do that in your own house (with a movie in the background to) and get a much better ‘experience’ for free that doesn’t piss off everyone around you.

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Good on you, if only because couples that go crazy in the theater ruin the film for people around them.

I don’t get the point of paying money to see a movie only to ignore that movie to have sex.  You can easily do that in your own house (with a movie in the background to) and get a much better ‘experience’ for free that doesn’t piss off everyone around you.

We were at a drive in.  No one else around.  We were in the back seat.  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

We were at a drive in.  No one else around.  We were in the back seat.  :)

Ah okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Drive Ins are kind of made for that

I never make something I’m anticipated to see a date.  Because then I’ll care more about what I’m going to see then the actual date, which kind of jeopardizes the whole thing.

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I just think a lot of elements of the film feel super clunky. Sadness is still great as a character and Bing Bong's sacrifice still makes me cry but it just doesn't feel very cohesive as a whole.

You're Mad Ethan. Inside Out is one of Pixar's best. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

Beauty-and-the-Beast-banner.jpg

Number 40

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Walt Disney Animation Studios, Directed by Gary Trousdale (70 Points, 15 Votes)

Beauty-And-The-Beast-Poster.jpg

"How can you read this? There's no pictures!"

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 8

Previous Rankings: 2016 (47, +7), 2014 (44, +4), 2013 (68, +28), 2012 (77, +37)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 94% (8.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 145.9m (320.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A young woman whose father has been imprisoned by a terrifying beast offers herself in his place, unaware that her captor is actually a prince, physically altered by a magic spell.

Critic Opinion: "Disney's new full-length animated feature, "Beauty and the Beast," is more than a return to classic form, it's a delightfully satisfying modern fable, a near-masterpiece that draws on the sublime traditions of the past while remaining completely in sync with the sensibility of its time.

This is a giant step forward for Disney's animation unit -- and a quantum leap past its blandly diverting work in "The Little Mermaid." For the first time in a Disney cartoon, you don't feel as if you've slipped into a time warp. The sense of humor, even the obligatory moral subtext, seems fresh. There's even a kind of impudence in the comedy; you don't feel clobbered with wholesomeness. And yet nothing is lost in bringing a contemporary spirit to this familiar tale of love triumphing over physical imperfection. The storytelling is brisk and engaging, the animation imaginative and deeply textured, the music and the production numbers sublime. Let's not mince words -- it's great." - Hal Hinson

User Opinions: "Childhood films are often hard to analyze. For years, I've thought of Beauty and the Beast as a perfectly decent animated Disney movie, but certainly not one of my favorites. After returning to it for the first time in five years though after both performing in a stage version and seeing a live-action remake, I finally understand why this is great. A timeless love story constantly made anew thanks to gorgeous animation and legendary music. The music is staged just as marvelously as it is written, dynamically moving the characters and the "camera" around in a way that always engages. The Beast is clearly one of the greatest animated characters of all time, being ridiculously expressive and shockingly sympathetic throughout despite the admittedly awful way he acts for a lot of the film. However, Belle is truly the heart of the film, one of Disney's best leads.

Beauty and the Beast is often considered one of the greatest Disney films of all time, and I've always had trouble agreeing with that. Now, I completely understand why. Beauty and the Beast is one of the greatest movie musicals ever made, brilliantly utilizing fantastic songs to move forward its narrative full of memorable characters realized by superb animation. An absolute classic."  - @Blankments

"Arguably the best Disney Renaissance film ever made.

The pacing and character development were excellent, and the gradual transition of the Beast from cruel to compassionate was handled very well.

This was the kind of direction Thor needed" - @Squaremaster316

Commentary: What do you get when you add Stockholm Syndrome and Beastiality together, while throwing in a pinch of gender roles?  You get one Disney's feminist classics, Beauty and the Beast!  Jokes aside, Beauty and the Beast is a beautifully animated film, with enchanting songs, a touching (although admittedly somewhat disturbing) romance, and some hilarious little moments, it's no wonder why this managed to be the first animated film to ever be nominated for Best Picture, a massive feat.  Nearly everyone has seen this film, especially after that one remake thing came out not to long ago, so I'm not sure if I really have to sell what makes this film work so well.  Beauty and the Beast ended up on around 25% of the lists submitted with a high mean score of 4.7 from the users who put it on their list.

Decade Count: 90s (13), 10s (12), '00s (9), 80s (9), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (50), 80%-90% (11)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (7), 300m (4), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (21)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Hayao Miyazaki (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Steven Spielberg (1) Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Pixar (3), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Toy Story (2), Studio Ghibli (2), WDAS (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Steven Spielberg (1)

Genre Count: Drama (20), Adventure (18), Thriller (15), VFX Driven (15), Fantasy (15), Sci-Fi (13), Comedy (12), Action (11), Epic (11), Romance (11), Family/Children (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Period Piece (9), Indie (8), Sequel (7), War (7), Animation (7), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Musical (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (5), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Spy/Detective (3), Romantic Comedy (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1)

1288549668_4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Already showed up

I was about to do a write up for the live action one and then say "oops wrong one!"

But I figured that'd be too mean/obvious, especially after Footloose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I was about to do a write up for the live action one and then say "oops wrong one!"

But I figured that'd be too mean/obvious, especially after Footloose.

You should have, and just waited till the end to correct the mistake.