The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

fight-club-51b0f866efec4.jpg

Number 39

Fight Club (1999)

20th Century Fox, Directed by David Fincher (70 Points, 19 Votes)

ea409ee25a8c5c953165241b581b4bea.jpg

"The first rule about fight club is you don't talk about fight club."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 7

Previous Rankings: 2016 (39, No Change), 2014 (26, -13), 2013 (18, -21), 2012 (18, -21)

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 79% (7.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 37m (66.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: An insomniac office worker, looking for a way to change his life, crosses paths with a devil-may-care soapmaker, forming an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more.

Critic Opinion: ""Fight Club" delivers a sucker punch to the audience and then pulls the rug out from under it. It is sensational.  It is also grimly funny. The mordant script by Jim Uhls, a crystalliza tion of the Chuck Palahniuk novel, may be too good. Norton delivers so many unadulterated, trenchant observations that the narration almost becomes overloaded.

The hyper-intense look of the film derives from the narrator's skewed point of view, and it is a tour de force of art direction: the peeling- apart house where Tyler lives, the cityscape in the explosive last scene, the seedy lowlife bar where Tyler and his new buddy hatch Fight Club and the inky basements where the face-pummeling bouts occur.  Don't sell this film short, especially its power on a visceral level. The fights range from Norton's first hesitant, then enthusiastic blow to Pitt's face outside the bar to elaborately staged bouts slugged out in the gritty darkness of borrowed basements." - Bob Graham

User Opinions: "One of the best movies ever made and definitely Top 5 all time for me. Thrilling, engaging, mesmerising and fearless. That's pretty much what Fight Club is. And you can't help but notice how some of the ideas the film revolves around are just as fitting for today's society as they were back then. Maybe even more so.

It also displays one of the, if not the most memorable character ever created by Hollywood. Pitt's Tyler Durden is complex and charming and irresistible in that way that you cheer for him as hard as you can even if he's supposedly the bad guy at some point.

And then the movie ends and it leaves you wonder: What if...?" - @James

"Yeah, the big message of Fight Club is to find your own way without losing yourself in the process of a dubious system. Yeah, living a dull corporate life injected with an unfulfilling office job and bouts of mindless consumerism is a pretty lousy way to live, but joining a "Fuck Society" cult and going off the nihilistic deep end is no better. Naturally, a lot of kids think they're "above the man" and only think about the first part of this. It's a brilliant movie that plays with finding our own desires in a strange and frustrating world. "  - @Hunt for the Wilderpasta

Commentary: I guess this is another one of those films the internet fanboy demo goes crazy over that I'm not as huge on, but I won't let that stop me from talking this film up (I'll just need to take some other perspectives beyond my own).  Fight Club is a bloody, intense and captivating take from David Fincher on aspects of how we live in society, a type of conformism vs. rebellion, and he goes into this film with an intent to highlight both sides while also ending up with a stance that doesn't really fall with either.  The film is quotable, with some really memorable moments, and it's a truly unique film by Fincher.  Fight Club managed to be on around 31% of the lists that were submitted with a mean score of 3.7 from the users who voted for it.

Decade Count: 90s (14), 10s (12), '00s (9), 80s (9), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (50), 80%-90% (11), 70%-80% (1)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (7), 300m (4), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (22)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Hayao Miyazaki (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Steven Spielberg (1) Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Pixar (3), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Toy Story (2), Studio Ghibli (2), WDAS (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Steven Spielberg (1)

Genre Count: Drama (21), Adventure (18), Thriller (15), VFX Driven (15), Fantasy (15), Sci-Fi (13), Comedy (13), Action (11), Epic (11), Romance (11), Family/Children (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Period Piece (9), Indie (8), Sequel (7), War (7), Animation (7), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Musical (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (5), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Spy/Detective (3), Romantic Comedy (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (2)

Fight-Club-fight-club-4646800-1706-960.j

• Like 16

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reminder that Fight Club is Fincher’s worst non-Alien 3 movie

I honestly find the movie to be a pretty hot mess, and contradictory (and not really in an illuminating way).  But obviously it struck a chord.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I didn't see Your Name name on the list yet 🤔

Your Name starts off well but gets really bloated as it goes along. I don't have it anywhere near my top animated movies, especially a masterpiece like mononoke.

8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Was one of a few films that I really wanted to put in my top ten (but alas there is only ten spots in my top ten so it fell just outside)

Ethan Hunt take I agree with 100%, that's really strange and I'm not sure how I should feel about that.

• Like 1