The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

11 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Who said anything about Titanic being anywhere?

The fact that it's incredibly obvious it is? And that you're not that good at double-bluffing about it?

Don't get me wrong, I'll laugh like hell if it ends up missing, but considering the Jimbomaniacs managed to get Avatar on the list, I don't buy for a second that Titanic won't make it.

24 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

The fact that it's incredibly obvious it is? And that you're not that good at double-bluffing about it?

Don't get me wrong, I'll laugh like hell if it ends up missing, but considering the Jimbomaniacs managed to get Avatar on the list, I don't buy for a second that Titanic won't make it.

Hmpf! Avatar is the cinema experience of this century which truly takes you to another world, it deserves it spot and will only be regarded better and better as time passes, it will be remembered as the film that started the greatest saga (and highest grossing) of all time.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Hmpf! Avatar is the cinema experience of this century which truly takes you to another world, it deserves it spot and will only be regarded better and better as time passes, it will be remembered as the film that started the greatest saga (and highest grossing) of all time.

I take it you haven't seen The Room with an audience. THAT, is unbeatable as a cinematic experience

• Like 2

We did a double feature of Disaster Artist and The Room this January. Unparalleled cinematic experience. 

Edited by captainwondyful
Lol I can type
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I take it you haven't seen The Room with an audience. THAT, is unbeatable as a cinematic experience

Ah now i see why TFA is Hailed as one of the greats — the audience was engaged. The time when han and chewie entered the Falcon is just as great as the time when Kramer went in to seinfelds apartment in the first episode of season 5 in Seinfeld. I can imagine the audience cheered just because of memories and nostalgia rather than actual entertainment.

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Titanic goat cinema performer is it so weird that it's ranked so high? People LOVED that film.

Its like a cold nice shower after the TFA’s mistreating of cinema. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Titanic goat cinema performer is it so weird that it's ranked so high? People LOVED that film.

11 Oscars

2 billion WW 

Two best selling soundtracks

Yep. Can't figure out why it's ranked so high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have three Cameron films in my top 20.

Titanic is the lowest ranked of the three. That's how good JC is.

• Like 1

The+Good%252C+the+Bad+and+the+Ugly+%2528

Number 27

Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1967)

United Artists, Directed by Sergio Leone (93 Points, 22 Votes)

066d2eb0b4febe45ef52a089f0ee5aa7.jpg

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 9

Previous Rankings: 2016 (23, -4), 2014 (28, +1), 2013 (40, +13), 2012 (69, +42)

Awards Count: Won an OFTA

Tomatometer: 97% (8.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 25.1m (191.6m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A bounty hunting scam joins two men in an uneasy alliance against a third in a race to find a fortune in gold buried in a remote cemetery.

Critic Opinion: "It's with this film, by far the most ambitious Italian Western made to that date (nearly three hours long and with a wildly high, by the industry standards, $1.3 million budget) that Leone secured his place as a pantheon director, and did all of those things he remains beloved for: using the CinemaScope frame to create a unique vision of the American West as place of desolation and ruin on a truly epic scale. It is, in many ways, the culmination of his art - while I privately prefer his next film, Once Upon a Time in the West, it's easy to argue that the later film simply builds upon the aesthetic space Leone created with the final film in what history has come to call the Dollars Trilogy.

There is no defense against the claim, frequent in the '60s and still likely to crop up sometimes here and there, that the movie is nasty and cruel and violent - it is all of those things. There is as mixture of fascination and disgust regarding the evil men do found in every scene of the film that is too harrowing and at times too borderline-exploitative to ever say, with a straight face, that it's nice, or morally uplifting (which is not the same as calling it immoral: it is, at any rate, fairly outraged at the excessive violence it portrays, and cannot be held accountable for those viewers who don't get the joke). Even the overwhelming operatic scope of its narrative and aesthetic are, ultimately, brutal: the audience leaves feeling worn out and battered; happy for it, maybe, but battered. But that's the thing about legends and myths, they reveal our darkest nature as well was - better than! - they reveal our best selves. And in this film, Leone managed to turn that darkness into visual and aural poetry of the most electrifying sort."  - Tim Brayton

User Opinion: "The first few times I watched this film, it was for Clint. Ever since then, it's been for Tuco; and it really is Tuco's film. To me that's the most interesting thing about it, because it's one of the few films I can remember where the anti-hero really shines.  This is one movie I really wish would get a re-release in theaters because the cinematography and score just beg, beg, beg to be played on the biggest IMAX screen you can get and with an equally impressive sound system. One of my favorite sound tracks to listen to.

For me, this and Once Upon A Time in the West are the apex films of the genre."  - @GrimFandango

"As good as they come. Entertainment at its very best. Thoroughly enjoyable even after 49 years and over 100 viewings. The background score i.e. A Soldier's tale, The Ecstasy of Gold, the title, the showdown and the credits, is awesome. "  - @jb007

Commentary: Sergio Leone's most known work is most definitely The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and for good reason too.  The film is an influential, epic Western that manages to depict the West and aspects of the Western genre in a light and way that few other films before it had even attempted.  It's a gorgeous movie to look at, the action is intense and violent, and it's incredibly entertaining.  With the iconic score, this is one of the most famous Westerns to have ever been made, and it's the most popular one from the internet base because of how modern it manages to be.  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly made 36% of the lists that were submitted and had an average score of 4.2 from those lists.

Decade Count: 90s (16), '00s (13), 10s (12), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (59), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (8), 300m (6), 200m (11), 100m (14), Under 100m (23)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Steven Spielberg (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (9), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), Steven Spielberg (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1)

Genre Count: Drama (26), Adventure (25), VFX Driven (21), Fantasy (19), Sci-Fi (18), Thriller (18), Epic (18), Comedy (17), Action (15), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (13), Romance (12), Animation (11), Sequel (11), Novel Adaption (10), Crime/Noir (10), Indie (10), Tragedy (9), War (8), Horror (8), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Christmas (3), Spy/Detective (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

6f1504b8151ae5085013cdf5fefc6918.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Thoroughly enjoyable even after 49 years and over 100 viewings. The background score i.e. A Soldier's tale, The Ecstasy of Gold, the title, the showdown and the credits, is awesome. "  - @jb007

100 viewings!? :ohmyzod:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

2. Once Upon a Time in the West

3. Duck You Sucker

4. For a Few Dollars More

5. Fistful of Dollars

Not Ranked Since It's Not a Western But On the Same Level as West: Once Upon a Time in America