The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

My mother took me to see Saving Private Ryan -- in the theater.  It's 1998, and this is when the film's being hailed as "the most violent movie ever" or whatever The Today Show as up-in-arms about.  I wanted to go!  It's Steven Spielberg! And Mom never had any issues with violence or swearing (it was just sex.  That was the big no-no).  I was the youngest person there by at least fifteen, maybe twenty years.

The theater was completely sold out.  It was an old theater with the aisle down the middle.  We sat about halfway back from the screen, all the way against the wall.  Before the movie started an usher actually came into the theater, stood at the front, and said: "This movie is incredibly violent, please be advised.  If you want to leave now, please do so."

Mom turned to me and asked if I wanted to leave.  I was like, Nah.  I'm good.

So the movie starts.  And it goes on.  And we get about halfway through, and I turn to her to say: "I have to go to the bathroom."  And she looks at me and says: "We are NOT getting up."  So I sat there for an hour having to go to the bathroom.  I don't remember anything else.  When it ended, Mom asked if I liked it.  I said, "No, I had to go to the bathroom."

• Haha 9
  • Disbelief 1

SPR losing to SIL is one of the more egregious Academy fuck-ups ever.  And it's clear, even moreso now, that Weinstein bought his Oscars.  

While I don't think sPR is SS's best, I don't begrudge anyone for thinking that way.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

My mother took me to see Saving Private Ryan -- in the theater.  It's 1998, and this is when the film's being hailed as "the most violent movie ever" or whatever The Today Show as up-in-arms about.  I wanted to go!  It's Steven Spielberg! And Mom never had any issues with violence or swearing (it was just sex.  That was the big no-no).  I was the youngest person there by at least fifteen, maybe twenty years.

The theater was completely sold out.  It was an old theater with the aisle down the middle.  We sat about halfway back from the screen, all the way against the wall.  Before the movie started an usher actually came into the theater, stood at the front, and said: "This movie is incredibly violent, please be advised.  If you want to leave now, please do so."

Mom turned to me and asked if I wanted to leave.  I was like, Nah.  I'm good.

So the movie starts.  And it goes on.  And we get about halfway through, and I turn to her to say: "I have to go to the bathroom."  And she looks at me and says: "We are NOT getting up."  So I sat there for an hour having to go to the bathroom.  I don't remember anything else.  When it ended, Mom asked if I liked it.  I said, "No, I had to go to the bathroom."

:bash:

Thanks @Water Bottle for the new emote by the way  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

madmaxfuryroad-800.jpg

NUMBER 21

Mad_Max_-_Fury_Road.png

WARNER BROTHERS, DIRECTED BY GEORGE MILLER (103 POINTS, 25 VOTES)

9xxfz3fpdsjx.png

"WHAT A DAY! WHAT A LOVELY DAY!"

TOP 5 PLACEMENTS: 2

TOP 10 PLACEMENTS: 6

TOP 25 PLACEMENTS: 10

PREVIOUS RANKINGS: 2016 (24, +3)

AWARDS COUNT: WON 6 OSCARS, NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE

TOMATOMETER: 97% (8.6 AVG RATING)

BOX OFFICE: 153.6M (165.8M ADJUSTED)

SYNOPSIS: A woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in postapocalyptic Australia in search for her home-land with the help of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshipper, and a drifter named Max.

CRITIC OPINION: "IT'S AS BAD-ASS AS YOU'VE HEARD: BELIEVE ALL THE HYPE, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD WILL MELT YOUR FACE OFF" - CHRISTY LEMIRE

USER OPINIONS: "PHENOMENAL" - @Domino Roc   "IT'S A MASTERPIECE" - @antovolk  "I MEANT A+"  - @The Futurist

"FUCKING BEAST OF A MOVIE" - @Deep Wang  "A MONUMENTAL ACHIEVEMENT" - @CJohn "INSANE, AWESOME EXPERIENCE" - @DeeCee

"AWESOMENESS OVERLOAD" - @dashrendar44 "GREATEST ACTION FILM EVER" - @Telemachos "LEAVES EVERY OTHER BIG BUDGET MADE IN THE DUST" - @Ozymandias

"STRAIGHT UP AMAZED" - @Hunt for the Wilderpasta "IMAGINATIVE CARNAGE AND DESTRUCTIVE GLEE" - @kaijukurt "CRAZY GOOD" - @Mulder

"THE MOST AMAZING AND EXHILARATING MOVIES IN THE PAST YEARS" - @iceroll "BEYOND AMAZING" - @Kalo "ACTION MASTERPIECE" - @Fancyarcher

"GAMECHANGER" - @shayhiri "I WENT IN AN ATHEIST AND CAME OUT BELIEVING IN GOD" - @ChD "QUITE POSSIBLY THE BEST" - @Water Bottle

"THIS MOVIE IS FANTASTIC" - @eXtacy "MY BLADDER ALMOST EXPLODED" - @Rorschach "I AM IN LOVE" - @Gopher

"TRULY POETIC IMAGE-LANGUAGE" - @ShouldIBeHere "THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL" - @Jake Gittes "CONVERTED" - @Spidey Freak

"GREATEST ACTION EVER" - @Phil in the Blank "DELIGHTFULLY WEIRD" - @MrPink "OUT OF THIS WORLD" - @Empire

"INSANE" - @The Stingray "JUST SUPERB" - @Infernus "TELE AND JAMES AGREE ON A MOVIE"  - @4815162342

"ENOUGH SAID" - @mattmav45

mad_max_fury_road-2.jpg

COMMENTARY: WITNESS ME!  MAD MAX: FURY ROAD MAKES THE LIST AGAIN!  READ THE QUOTES I DEFINITELY DIDN'T TAKE OUT OF CONTEXT AT ALL I PULLED FROM THE REVIEW THREAD TO KNOW HOW GREAT IT IS!  IT WAS ON 41% OF THE LISTS BUT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON 100%! LOOK AT THESE AMAZING STILLS TO KNOW THE AMAZING!

tumblr_noufieoehL1twdv7lo10_1280.jpg

latest?cb=20150930025835

tumblr_noufieoehL1twdv7lo2_1280.jpg

toxic-storm-1.jpg

mad-max-fury-road-new-trailer-has-epic-c

screen-shot-2014-12-17-at-02-34-50.png

MadMax_2015-07-27_22-40-23.png

madmax18.jpg

Decade Count: 90s (19), 10s (14), '00s (13), 80s (12), 70s (8), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (62), 80%-90% (12), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (2), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (2), 600m (1), 500m (2), 400m (9), 300m (7), 200m (12), 100m (15), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (3), Steven Spielberg (3), Ridley Scott (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Robert Zemeckis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (11), Pixar (6), James Cameron (3), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), Steven Spielberg (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), WDAS (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1)

Genre Count: Drama (30), Adventure (26), VFX Driven (23), Thriller (20), Sci-Fi (20), Fantasy (19), Epic (19), Action (18), Comedy (17), Family/Children (15), Period Piece (14), Romance (13), Novel Adaption (12), Crime/Noir (12), Sequel (12), Animation (11), Indie (11), War (10), Tragedy (10), Horror (9), Musical (6), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Romantic Comedy (4), Spy/Detective (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Amazing how you fit all those quotes together Panda, mine included, even if they were taking out of context, cough, cough, ahem. Fury Road's definitely still an "action masterpiece".

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Haha 1

Thanks for letting me indulge a bit on my insanity, here's 20 more just misses to compensate

126. Children of Men

127. Blade Runner 2049

128. Amelie

129. Zootopia

130. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

131. To Kill a Mockingbird

132. Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance

133. Ghosbusters

134. Bridge on the River Kwai

135. My Neighbor Totoro

136. Before Midnight

137. Frozen

138. The Bourne Ultimatum

139. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

140. Airplane!

141. North by Northwest

142. Braveheart

143. The Green Mile

144. Shrek

145. The Room (yes that one)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Thank you for using my quote Panda. Amazing how you fit all those lines together, even if they were taking out of context, cough cough, ahem. Fury Road's definitely an "action masterpiece".

That was my audition to Warner Brothers to be on their TV Spot marketing team.

• Haha 7

• Community Manager

Fury Road is indeed awesome. George Miller is a real visionary, a real director, who really brought the movie to life in a way few directors can. Great cinematography, minimal script, amazing action scenes...this is a real accomplishment of a film.

A solid movie for any top 100 movie list. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Thanks for letting me indulge a bit on my insanity, here's 20 more just misses to compensate

126. Children of Men

131. To Kill a Mockingbird

134. Bridge on the River Kwai

135. My Neighbor Totoro

141. North by Northwest

God-fucking dammit!!!

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2