The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I also use it as a way to promote the movies that should be on this list

I'll add it to my to watch list, but it might take awhile until I actually get around to it.

Let's get this started again!

download.php?type=download&image=66006&s

Number 90

Chinatown (1974)

Paramount, Directed by Roman Polanski (48 Points, 10 Votes)

full.chinatown-1729__34143.1512009527.12

"Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (90, Unchanged), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (48, -42), 2013 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 98% (9.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 29.2m (143.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A private detective hired to expose an adulterer finds himself caught up in a web of deceit, corruption, and murder.

Critic Opinion: "The picture is a kind of pop masterpiece, bursting with vigor, ingenious as the devil, handsome, efficient, engrossing–and quite deliberately divorced from any reality outside a dark theatre. It has absorbed the past and projected t through the lens of present fears and defeats, but always in terms of man the moviegoer; you bring to this movie what you know about movies–just as to Pop art you bring what you know about a throwaway culture. Pop art is neither realistic nor abstract; it is experience with one dimension missing. I enjoy reacting to it–it makes everything simple and some things clear–even though I’d soon go crazy if I had to live there." - Robert Hatch

User Opinion: "Watched it for about the 19th time. Damn, that ending. It's like you spend two hours standing on the tracks, unable to move, but still hopeful and having a good time - not having seen it in three years, I was actually a bit surprised at the number of funny moments in this movie - and in the end this train just inevitably comes and hits you at full speed. Completely devastating. It's been just shy of 5 years since I've seen Chinatown for the first time and in those 5 years I haven't seen a better film, although a few came close. " - @Jake Gittes

"Absolutely incredible. It's riveting throughout, Polanski's decision to reveal information only as Jake Gittes learns it (not a feature of Robert Towne's pre-production draft) works brilliantly and allows the film's biggest twist to have a maximum level of power, and the ending is as unforgettable as it is devastatingly bleak. It's Roman Polanski's best film, and a must-see for anyone who considers himself/herself to be a fan of the medium." - @Webslinger

Commentary: Despite the controversy around the actions of the director, Chinatown has endured as a classic of cinema and has sealed itself as a required viewing for anybody interested in film.  Chinatown is a film perfectly crafted from each artist that gave their input into the movie, and it's one of the reasons it has created a lasting legacy for itself.  The average score of the film from users who voted for it was a 4.8, indicating it was pretty close to the top 25 for most members who included it on their lists.  This was also a movie that made it in from a few passion votes, as it was only included on 16% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (2), 70s (2), 90s (1), 80s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Gus van Sant (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Epic (2), Sci-Fi (2), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Crime/Noir (2), Thriller (2), Adventure (1). Animation (1), Comedy (1), Period Piece (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Western (1)

c2f5258c19b8e315fb90ed158b67a46c.jpg

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I sadly can't look at this list yet (I'm on vacation and I wanna go through this when I have time to absorb it.) That said, here's what I submitted if anyone cares.

Cool to see another user who put Hunchback of Notre Dame on their list.

• Like 1

My friend in the college dorms uses to watch movies in the TV lounge while he was studying and I saw that he was watching this one. He said it was a very good film, and from the footage I saw, I'm inclined to agree.

Number 89

Twentieth Century Fox, Directed by James Cameron (48 Points, 12 Votes)

avatar_fanmade_by_mademoiselle_art.png

"And we will show the Sky People... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land!"

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (48, -41)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 83% (7.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 1.0A 760.5m (891.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

Critic Opinion: ""Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message. It is predestined to launch a cult. (Break Quote, what a fortune teller Ebert was, Break Quote) It contains such visual detailing that it would reward repeating viewings. It invents a new language, Na'vi, as "Lord of the Rings" did, although mercifully I doubt this one can be spoken by humans, even teenage humans. It creates new movie stars. It is an Event, one of those films you feel you must see to keep up with the conversation." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "In my top 10 of all time list. Its a fabulous movie that takes you to another world better than any other film. Its also a film that seems so much better if you connect with the Naavi and their way of life. Cameron just has this nack of making films that connect with so many people." - @stuart360

"I rewatched it the other day and had forgotten just how brilliant it was in the cinema, and it holds up on repeat viewing anyway. Moving and just a great cinematic experience. it is so easy to say "avatar was rubbish" even when you enjoyed it at the time." - @Ranger Tree

Commentary: The highest grossing (worldwide) movie of all-time, and there's quite a few people who are never going to let you forget that fact.  It's easy to look back in hindsight on Avatar and claim it's nothing special, especially given how far CGI has come since Avatar, but that neglects the impact this movie had on release.  There are few movies that have ever provided as an immersive theatrical experience as Avatar managed to do, and (prior to The Force Awakens) this movie held a personal record of most times I saw a film in theaters (even though my opinions may have changed a bit since then).  Avatar is also the first film on our list not to have over a 90% score on RT, but to be fair it's also the first movie on our list to gross over 2b WW at the Box Office.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 70s (2), 90s (1), 80s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Gus van Sant (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Epic (3), Sci-Fi (3), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Crime/Noir (2), Thriller (2), Adventure (2). Animation (1), Comedy (1), Period Piece (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Western (1)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1