The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I am curious as to whether or not classic horror will make the list.  Pretty sure Halloween has made previous lists.  Hoping Texas chainsaw and maybe Nightmare on Elm Street make an appearance.  Not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrWhite said:

I didn't vote :sparta:, so maybe it doesn't make it.

Just know I could have absolutely convinced some non-caring lackeys to tilt the scales in God Nolan's favor. :Venom:

You and goffe didn't vote this year, Nolan has to be feeling very let down right about now. I bet there will be a sharp drop for his movies this year, his acolytes have deserved him, that's just sad.

• Like 1

Yes, I know the banner I am using is from Before Sunset not Before Sunrise.  Pardon my crime.

before-sunset-banner.jpg?w=1000&h=288&cr

Number 84

Before Sunrise (1995)

Sony Pictures, Directed by Richard Linklater (49 Points, 10 Votes)

before-sunrise-movie-poster-1995-1020190

"I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Ranked #208 on IMDb Top 250

Tomatometer: 100% (8.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 5.5m (11.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together.

Critic Opinion: "The combination of optimism, tragedy, and the fuzzy warmth of new love - Jesse's panic when Celine suggests waiting a whole five years to meet up is one of the sweetest, funniest moments in the movie - is absolutely flawless, and the closing shots are the best kind of bittersweet: a montage of the places the lovers have visited, now in full daylight, serving both to remind us of how wonderful their time was, while also consigning those moments to memory. The sequel tells us how things played out, but within Before Sunrise itself, the final sequence, - along with the unreadable expression on Hawke's face, and the solemnity that turns into quiet pleasure on Delpy's, in the final two shots - retains an anxious ambivalence, the mark of an intense passion that has already flared out, youthful exuberance catching up to itself in the hard morning light. It's a breathtaking end to, simply put, one of cinema's finest depictions of the delightful immaturity of being young and being in love." - Tim Brayton

User Opinions: "Look up charming and the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy holding hands.

An intelligent, sincere film. It's really hard to pull off natural conversation in film but Linklater does it in spades. Part 1 of one of the greatest romances I've seen." - @Gopher

"I estimate that I have seen this movie roughly 647 thousand times. I just love it too much." - @CoolioD1

Commentary: Probably the most ecstatic I am about a new entry on this list, as I absolutely adore this movie, as well as the entire trilogy that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy beautifully and delicately crafted.  Before Sunrise is Linklater going full on Linklater, while there's doses of a typical cinematic experience, the focus of these films is the natural human interactions between the characters.  The concept of two people walking around a city for 2 hours and talking as movie would have been a complete snooze had it been any other director, but Linklater turns such a simple concept into one of the most magical, yet fully realized romances ever put to screen.  All of the Before Trilogy didn't manage a large multitude of votes, but they had passionate and high placing votes, as each user who voted for Before Sunrise on average had it in their top 25.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (5), Adventure (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Fantasy (3), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Children (1), Romance (1)

9786c59a5e04318cbaf7f85859018e89.png

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Good work team.

Except you, @Ethan Hunt

I'll go ahead and spoil that Before Sunset missed by 4 points and is sitting at #107.  It was all Ethan's fault.  (However he really did help out Before Sunrise, so there's that)

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Sorry I couldn't get more up today, I'll try to get more than 10 in tomorrow to make up for it.

Also, here's some more misses

206. Leon: The Professional

207. Almost Famous

208. JFK

209. Mulholland Drive

210. The Exorcist

211. The Last of the Mohicans

212. Stand By Me

213. Scarface

214. The Searchers

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Sorry I couldn't get more up today, I'll try to get more than 10 in tomorrow to make up for it.

207. Almost Famous

208. JFK

209. Mulholland Drive

210. The Exorcist

211. The Last of the Mohicans

212. Stand By Me

213. Scarface

214. The Searchers

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Yes, I know the banner I am using is from Before Sunset not Before Sunrise.  Pardon my crime.

Number 84

Before Sunrise (1995)

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Commentary: Probably the most ecstatic I am about a new entry on this list, as I absolutely adore this movie, as well as the entire trilogy that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy beautifully and delicately crafted.  Before Sunrise is Linklater going full on Linklater, while there's doses of a typical cinematic experience, the focus of these films is the natural human interactions between the characters.  The concept of two people walking around a city for 2 hours and talking as movie would have been a complete snooze had it been any other director, but Linklater turns such a simple concept into one of the most magical, yet fully realized romances ever put to screen.  All of the Before Trilogy didn't manage a large multitude of votes, but they had passionate and high placing votes, as each user who voted for Before Sunrise on average had it in their top 25.

So ecstatic this made the list as well!! It was the 8th on mine! Two movies in a row from my top 10 making it for the first time this year, that's wonderful and makes me think my votes truly matter! 

This is the best trilogy ever made and if you haven't watched it then you are losing out on the best experience anyone can have about true love in a movie ever! The perfect thing about this trilogy is that they are 10 years apart so there's something in here for everyone to relate no matter in what stage you are in life! Plus the older and more experienced you get the more the latter movies appeal to you.

I sure hope to see Before Sunset at the very least appearing in here as well! It's my favorite of the three although Before Midnight keeps growing more and more on me as time passes. Either way all three of them were in my top 10 and I'm immensely pleased to see at least one of them making it into the top 100, thanks BOT!

EDIT: Just read from Panda that Before Sunset missed it at number 107th, that's truly sad. Maybe next time... Still happy one of them made it though.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

JFK is my number 4 film and Stand by Me is number 16.  I'm totally bummed they are not on the list.  

I feel your pain, I've spent 5 years desperately wanting just one of the Before movies to make the cut.

But there's definitely movies high on your list that did really well, you may want to cover your eyes tomorrow morning for number 83 though.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I feel your pain, I've spent 5 years desperately wanting just one of the Before movies to make the cut.

But there's definitely movies high on your list that did really well, you may want to cover your eyes tomorrow morning for number 83 though.

Citizen Kane confirmed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Number 84

Before Sunrise (1995)

Sony Pictures, Directed by Richard Linklater (49 Points, 10 Votes)

before-sunrise-movie-poster-1995-1020190

"I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away."

Box Office: 5.5m (11.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together.

Critic Opinion: "The combination of optimism, tragedy, and the fuzzy warmth of new love - Jesse's panic when Celine suggests waiting a whole five years to meet up is one of the sweetest, funniest moments in the movie - is absolutely flawless, and the closing shots are the best kind of bittersweet: a montage of the places the lovers have visited, now in full daylight, serving both to remind us of how wonderful their time was, while also consigning those moments to memory. The sequel tells us how things played out, but within Before Sunrise itself, the final sequence, - along with the unreadable expression on Hawke's face, and the solemnity that turns into quiet pleasure on Delpy's, in the final two shots - retains an anxious ambivalence, the mark of an intense passion that has already flared out, youthful exuberance catching up to itself in the hard morning light. It's a breathtaking end to, simply put, one of cinema's finest depictions of the delightful immaturity of being young and being in love." - Tim Brayton

User Opinions: "Look up charming and the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy holding hands.

An intelligent, sincere film. It's really hard to pull off natural conversation in film but Linklater does it in spades. Part 1 of one of the greatest romances I've seen." - @Gopher

"I estimate that I have seen this movie roughly 647 thousand times. I just love it too much." - @CoolioD1

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (5), Adventure (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Fantasy (3), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Children (1), Romance (1)

9786c59a5e04318cbaf7f85859018e89.png

Glad the best of the trilogy made the list! 

• Like 2

More people need to see Leon The Proffessional. One of the Top 10 Films of the 90s.

Also, bummed to see Jurassic World not make the Top 200, but oh well. Theres still hope for Starship Troopers and Kill Bill Vol 1 :)

• Like 1

Avatar only #88??? And wheres my @

Honestly I'm happy it made the list.

Every year that passes people will remember how rare an experience like actually was. That's my love hate relationship with franchise cinema right now, the quality is so low that it's only going to make A2 explode even harder.

I predict top 50 for the next vote

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

tumblr_o4clvkS5Z21uzy28vo1_500.gif

It was my #7 :whosad:

This is going to be the biggest miss on the list for sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Top 250 so far for me:

86. Unforgiven (1992) - #31 on my list

88. Avatar (2009) - #67 on my list

91. Good Will Hunting (1997) - #34 on my list

206. Leon: The Professional (1994) - #7 on my list :censored:

208. JFK (1991) - #80 on my list

215. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) - #59 on my list

The rest is mostly good. I only don't get it why TLJ and Wonder Woman are on this list. :P 

• Like 2