The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

I haven't either so you are in cool company.

Glad to hear.   They've been so hyped up I have a feeling that I would come away underwhelmed.   It's kind of the same reason on the tv side I've yet to watch the Wire.

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Glad to hear.   They've been so hyped up I have a feeling that I would come away underwhelmed.   It's kind of the same reason on the tv side I've yet to watch the Wire.

I generally find most of those type films to be over hyped, but honestly, with as many films as there are to see I just haven't gotten there. At this point I am lucky to watch 2 films a month from my netflix que and thats doing good LOL.

• Like 1

The only movies on this list I haven't seen in their entirety are Grave of the Fireflies, City of God, Monty Python, and Singin' in the Rain. I haven't fully watched Chinatown or Good Will Hunting :kitschjob: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only movies on this list I haven't seen in their entirety are Grave of the Fireflies, City of God, Monty Python, and Singin' in the Rain. I haven't fully watched Chinatown or Good Will Hunting :kitschjob: 

Taking out GFF those are all worthy endeavors

I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia all the way though. Every time I tried to rent from Blockbuster when I was young, my mom said it was long and slow and we couldn’t rent it.

Will probably try to watch it tonight. 

• Like 2

Once everyone gets around to watching Chinatown, then your next order of business is to watch Tequila Sunrise, with Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell and Michelle Pfeiffer.  It's also written with the same kind of flair as Chinatown and Towne not only wrote it but directed it.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Once everyone gets around to watching Chinatown, then your next order of business is to watch Tequila Sunrise, with Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell and Michelle Pfeiffer.  It's also written with the same kind of flair as Chinatown and Towne not only wrote it but directed it.

It's a very good movie but not near Chinatown  masterpiece levels

citizen-kane-banner.jpg

Number 83

Citizen Kane (1941)

RKO Radio Pictures, Directed by Orson Welles (49 Points, 10 Votes)

citizen_kane_poster_by_emmanuel_b-d5d5pr

"Rosebud."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (50, -33), 2014 (82, -1), 2013 (64, -19), 2012 (53, -30)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 100% (9.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 1.6m

Synopsis: Following the death of a publishing tycoon, news reporters scramble to discover the meaning of his final utterance.

Critic Opinion: "Fifty years after its release, Citizen Kane still seems richer, bolder, more spectacularly alive than any other film of the studio-system era. Regardless of how many times you’ve seen Orson Welles’ 1941 masterpiece, it always feels like the first time. That’s because what’s magical about Kane — the sheer transformative thrill of invention — is there in every shot, every performance, every narrative surge. Welles, at 25, had never worked in Hollywood before, and his inexperience showed — gloriously. With nothing to go on but instinct, daring, and the stylized techniques he’d helped pioneer in theater and radio, the preposterously ambitious young writer-director-star kicked off a one-man pop-culture revolution. For the first time in the American cinema, the very process of telling a story on film became every bit as tricky and exhilarating as the story itself. In effect, Welles was re-creating movies, turning them into an ingeniously modern form. To watch Citizen Kane is to experience what an audacious — and joyous — leap that was." - Owen Gleiberman

User Opinion: "We judge a movie by its execution of the story. The execution is revolutionary. Because a story had never been told that way in cinema. It's just set a standard in illustrating "The rise and fall of a character". It invented a new cinematographic language most directors use nowadays on daily basis. I mean Nolan built his whole schtick of fragmented narrative puzzle and convoluted temporality on Citizen Kane, 60 years after its release!

What other movies of that era can brag about that? You can't dissociate its story to the way it is narrated. That's what makes Citizen Kane the achievement and the crown jewel it is in movie history." - @dashrendar44

"This is a movie that makes me wish we didn't have "Best Of" lists. I think its status as the Greatest Film of All-Time takes people by surprise. When you hear that statement, you expect Citizen Kane's magic to be apparent the minute it begins. But the film is much more subtle than that. It literally takes till the last shot to understand the storyline fully. And even after you understand the storyline, it might take multiple viewings to truly appreciate the film.With all that being said, I do think it lives up to the hype. It's an emotionally engaging film. I found Kane's character to be surprisingly moving. I could empathize/sympathize with his desire to redeem lost innocence (rosebud) and how that explained so many of his actions. I also loved the film's narrative techniques. The fact that the storyline is pieced together from different people's memories of Kane adds mystery and complexity to his character. The fact is that people can never come to unanimous decision on a single person's life. Some will see tragedy in a person, others will see success, others will see only failure, others will see all of those things, etc. And all of the different people see different thinks in Kane, which helps complicate his character greatly. Ultimately, it's a masterpiece for these reasons (and others). It's in my Top 10 Favorite Movies Ever and if I had to make a "Best Films Ever" list, this could very well be at the top." - @Dark Jedi Master 007

Commentary: I really have to agree with a few others who have stated it before, Citizen Kane continually topping "Best of All-Time" lists has done the film a genuine disservice in my honest opinion.  Citizen Kane is an immensely well-crafted classic that takes time to appreciate, and it's a film that would be better viewed without going into it with an expectation that you're about to see the greatest film ever made.  The film has a fairly long and interesting history with its reception, as it wasn't initially beloved to the point where it is now, in fact it was boo'ed when it won its only Oscar.  The film being re-discovered by the French was what really helped the movie take off in the sphere of critical reception.  Beyond that it's been a highly influential film on the filmmaking medium, that still garners quite a bit of controversy when you bring it up.  For example, look at how it made this list off of pure passion votes, it averaged just outside of the top 25 for each member who submitted it on their list, and it was only seen in 16% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1), 40s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (6), Adventure (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Fantasy (3), Thriller (3), Action (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Children (1), Romance (1)

citizenkane273-580x250.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

Btw, looking through most of this list, if there's a film you haven't seen you should definitely view it.

I don't think there's a single movie that made the list that isn't worth at least a viewing.

• Like 7