The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Citizen Kane is a masterpiece. But its not as good as Jurassic World. Then again, what really is?

Apologys im mabye a little drunk at the time of this writing lol.-

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Citizen Kane is a masterpiece. But its not as good as Jurassic World. Then again, what really is?

Apologys im mabye a little drunk at the time of this writing lol.-

OluOE12.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

banner_its_a_wonderful_life.jpg?itok=KQj

Number 82

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Liberty Films, Directed by Frank Capra (49 Points, 13 Votes)

its-a-wonderful-life-ayse-deniz.jpg

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (70, -12), 2014 (53, -29), 2013 (56, -26), 2012 (82, No Change)

Awards Count: Nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 94% (8.9 Avg Rating)

Box Office: N/A

Synopsis: An angel is sent from Heaven to help a desperately frustrated businessman by showing him what life would have been like if he had never existed.

Critic Opinion: "It's a Wonderful Life is a wonderful title for a motion picture about which practically everyone who sees it will agree that it's wonderful entertainment. The film marks Frank Capra's first production since his return from distinguished war service, and he has invested it with the tremendous heart that always stamps his offerings as above average. This couldn't be other than a Capra picture, the humanness of its story the dominant factor at every turn of situation. His direction of the individual characterizations delivered is also distinctively his, and the performances, from the starring roles of James Stewart and Donna Reed down to the smallest bit, are magnificent. When Capra is at his best, no one can top him. " - Jack D. Grant

User Opinion: "It's a Wonderful Life is incredible. Frank Capra's never been better, and the brilliance of the first two-thirds of the movie just setting up the character of George Bailey is unfathomable. Jimmy Stewart is absolutely incredible in it, playing the everyman we all love while breaking down believably. Donna Reed is subtly great in it too, and the editing is ahead of its time. Maybe next Christmas, I'll go more into depth on why this film is spectacular, but for now, I'll just say It's a Wonderful Life surpassed my high expectations for it, and is an absolute masterpiece, being by far the best Christmas film I have ever seen. Wow." - @Blankments

"Saw it for the first time two nights ago.  I cried tears of joy at the end.  And I love Donna Reed.  This will definitely make my top 50 Christmas movies of all time." - @baumer

Commentary: The first Christmas classic to make our list, It's a Wonderful Life is universally regarded and is still watched annually to this day, over 70 years after its initial release.  Frank Capra crafts a sentimental story that leaves you feeling warm-hearted and recognizing much of the good nature of humanity.  It's for this reason it has been able to cement itself as a holiday classic, as it maintains all of those necessary ingredients in order to thrive.  The movie also features a bank run, which makes it a really nice teaching tool whenever I have to work with people in the principles of macroeconomics classes.  The film averaged just outside of the top 35 of members who submitted a list, and it wound up on 21% of the list that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (6), Adventure (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (3), Thriller (3), Action (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Family/Children (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Romance (1), Christmas (1)

hero_EB19990101REVIEWS08401010376AR.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

I wish you non-french speaking people could see and understand this french parody as it is a wonderful movie for anyone who loves old school movies.

The main plot is borrowed from Citizen Kane and the movie was completelly recreated from cuts of movies from the Warner bros from 1952 to 1980.

I think there was a Warner Bros celebration where they allowed people to use clips from their old movies as a marketing plan, and those guys made a long feature with them.

They somehow got the real french people who dubbed the actors at the time to do the voices.

And of course all lines are ridiculous and hilarious, especially when you have John Wayne, Dustin Hoffman or Paul Newman saying it in their "real" French voices.

I'll leave it here anyway :

Edited by RascarCapat

If you can't say something NICE, say nothing. So I'll leave it that concerning that horrible snoozefest.

It's A Wonderful Life is fantastic!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

banner_its_a_wonderful_life.jpg?itok=KQj

Number 82

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

I am so proud of BOT so far...so many choices that don't just come from the last 5 years of movie-making...it's really shaping up as a real "best of all cinema" list (even with TLJ:)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a very good movie but not near Chinatown  masterpiece levels

On the other hand, it has Michelle Pfeifer at peak attractiveness which has some sheer aesthetic value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Btw, looking through most of this list, if there's a film you haven't seen you should definitely view it.

I don't think there's a single movie that made the list that isn't worth at least a viewing.

The last jedi

• Haha 1

the-departed-5188066468e95.jpg

Number 81

The Departed (2006)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Martin Scorsese (49 Points, 15 Votes)

84145b0968bfdba68fa4cb54447f5d45.jpg

"One of us had to die. With me, it tends to be the other guy."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 90% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 132.3m (184.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: An undercover cop and a mole in the police attempt to identify each other while infiltrating an Irish gang in South Boston.

Critic Opinion: "As the moles come closer and closer to getting unmasked, Scorsese's masterful cross-cutting between the two leads serves to tighten the noose around both their necks. Freed from the historical constraints of Gangs Of New York and The Aviator, which were tied by nature to a rocky chronology, Scorsese returns to the crime genre with supreme confidence and breathtaking ferocity. Right from the pungent opening line, The Departed has that Goodfellas pop, from the first-rate cast (Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are wonderfully salty in support) to the sharp black comedy to the startling incidents of violence. Scorsese is revisiting familiar territory, but the details are still fresh, thanks not only to his usual acuity in capturing time and place, but to a dense William Monahan script that nails the local vernacular. When a director of Scorsese's caliber is working at the top of his game, it's a reminder of why we go to the movies in the first place." - Scott Tobias

User Opinions: "I just rewatched this today. It's a very good movie. The actings are great from everyone, tight script, good direction. The movie did a wonderful job in portraying the theme about identity and the struggle, resentments, conflict that come with it.I rarely see remades living up to originals, but The Departed really brought the game. It managed to capture the tone, and all that made Infernal Affairs a great movie, while also showing viewers its own uniqueness, definitely not being a lesser carbon copy." - @Sam

"Favourite movie of 2006, its one of those long crime films that are re-watchable and never boring, this is why I prefer this and Goodfellas over The Godfather.Ill never understand how Wahlberg was the only cast member to recieve an Oscar nomination from this." - @Jessie

Commentary: The Departed is the third Best Picture winner and the first Martin Scorsese film to make the list.  Most would likely say Scorsese, as a director, is at the top of his game when he tackles a propulsive, violent and vulgar criminal topic, and The Departed would only help to sell that argument.  While the film is technically a remake, it's a rare remake that manages to not only top the original film its spinning off of, but make that film almost entirely irrelevant.  Each user that placed The Departed on their list gave it an average score of 3.2, while the film managed to make it onto around a quarter of all the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (4), 90s (3), 80s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (6), Adventure (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (2), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Family/Children (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Romance (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

departed-11.jpg

• Like 15
  • Astonished 1