The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Speaking of internal affairs, you guys should try to see the other Internal Affairs that stars Richard Gere and Andy Garcia. Another fantastic script.

This list is very testosterone heavy so far. I’m losing all hope that someone else voted for my female empowerment trio of Basic Instinct, 9 to 5 and Jackie Brown. 

giphy.gif

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

This list is very testosterone heavy so far. I’m losing all hope that someone else voted for my female empowerment trio of Basic Instinct, 9 to 5 and Jackie Brown. 

giphy.gif

I mean to be fair, these forums are like 70% male (and the industry as a whole produced a lot of male-centric films up until recently),

However I wouldn’t say GOTF, The Last Jedi, Gravity, Singin in the Rain, The Princess Bride or Before Sunrise are testosterone heavy films.

• Like 1

I wrote about how terrible It's A Wonderful Life is In The Review thread, I really don't understand how people can like that one. I just wish people would vote in the good 40's films like Grapes Of Wrath and Double Indemnity instead of crap Like It's A Wonderful life and Citizen Kane.

2 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I mean to be fair, these forums are like 70% male (and the industry as a whole produced a lot of male-centric films up until recently),

However I wouldn’t say GOTF, The Last Jedi, Gravity, Singin in the Rain, The Princess Bride or Before Sunrise are testosterone heavy films.

This forum also skews young and many don't watch many or any movies before they were born.  The preponderance of male centric films truly started up in the 70s.  The 1930s and 40s had far more women lead and co lead films than the 1970s or today.  The industry then also employed more women - about 40%.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

I wrote about how terrible It's A Wonderful Life is In The Review thread, I really don't understand how people can like that one. I just wish people would vote in the good 40's films like Grapes Of Wrath and Double Indemnity instead of crap Like It's A Wonderful life and Citizen Kane.

I don't really did It's a Wonderful Life at all but Citizen Kane rules! 

I swapped Kane out of my top 10 for Avatar at the last second

I've always respected Kane for what it brought to cinema.  But overall I'm lukewarm on it.

As for It's A Wonderful Life well it was just recently said it.   If you can't say something nice.......

predator-51359ffc7d95a.jpg

Number 80

Predator (1987)

20th Century Fox, Directed by John McTiernan (50 Points, 11 Votes)

flat,550x550,075,f.u13.jpg

"Get to the chopper!"

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 80% (7.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 59.7m (139.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A team of commandos on a mission in a Central American jungle find themselves hunted by an extraterrestrial warrior.

Critic Opinion: "Before ascending to action movie royalty status with the titanic Die Hard (1989) director John McTiernan was at the helm at one the 1980s defining sci-fi classics. From the moment Predator begins, McTiernan’s aesthetic choices leap from the screen. Golden sunsets, blue hews of choppers flying low over hostile jungles and the red lit chopper full contrast the rich green blanket of the dense forest.  The great gritty aesthetic is paired with ominous tracking through still jungles and evokes the feeling that the most unseen terror is around every corner.  It’s also a feat to elicit perfectly pitched performances from the cast with such massive egos (and biceps)." - Blake Howard

User Opinion: "One of the most bad ass movies ever . When I watch this movie , I watch the beginning credits scene like ten times, with the fantastic Silvestri soundtrack and all these macho men coming out of the helicopter before Arnie slowly appears . Possibly the most bad ass beginning of a movie along with "once upon the west" .

Arnold generally made way better choices when he was in his prime compared to Stallone and he didn't fight communism , almost in every movie , and being trapped in the Reagan era movies despite being a republican." - @Thrylos 7

"One of my favorite movies of all time.." - @The Stingray

Commentary: Coming in as the first 80s action flick to make the list, as well as the first Arnie movie to pop up here, is Predator.  The movie definitely isn't the most critically acclaimed film to make the list, but it's full of popcorn fun and entertaining one liners.  It's a film that perfectly captures that post-Vietnam action movie era, where so many of the major hits were Bicep filled jungle movies, displaying a cultural reckoning during that time period.  Predator is another movie that managed to sneak up into the list, despite a low vote total, due to how high people were ranking it, with the average voter placing it right outside of their top 25.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (4), 80s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1)

Genre Count: Drama (6), Sci-Fi (5), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (3), Period Piece (2), Western (2), Tragedy (2), Family/Children (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Romance (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

predator1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Astonished 1