The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is the first entry I can't get behind. Predator is fine but nothing special.

Predator will make you a goddamned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

I kinda have to disagree on Princess Bride. I used to love that movie, and parts of it are still fantastic. But I saw it a few years ago with my daughters and realized that Buttercup does *nothing* in that movie. I mean, seriously, there are 2 female characters, and Miracle Max's wife has more personality and zest than Buttercup does. She's basically there to be pretty and get saved.

It's a fucking fairy tale.  It also takes place a long time ago when women didn't really have rights or were expected to do anything except get rescued.  

Sometimes it's okay to just enjoy a film for what it is and not look at it from a political stand point or a social justice stand point.  

• Like 3

La La Land is a movie I was sure I was going to dislike and the opening scene on the freeway did nothing to convince me otherwise.

And then the rest of the movie happened and I loved every minute of it until the depressing horrible ending.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's a fucking fairy tale. It also takes place a long time ago when women didn't really have rights or were expected to do anything except get rescued.  

So is it a fairy tale or a gritty true-to-life historical drama? I'm confused. 

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

So is it a fairy tale or a gritty true-to-life historical drama? I'm confused. 

Its' a fairy tale.  Are people going to start saying they don't like Cinderella anymore because the poor girl ends up with the rich man?  She's a woman, she don't need no man to make her happy and she sure as shit doesn't need no fancy carriage or magic shoes.  And fuck that pumpkin as well.

47 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's a fucking fairy tale.  It also takes place a long time ago when women didn't really have rights or were expected to do anything except get rescued.  

Sometimes it's okay to just enjoy a film for what it is and not look at it from a political stand point or a social justice stand point.  

...the 1980's?

Also I disagree on the second point. I don't think any movie should be immune to critical/political/racial/etc studies. Movies are media and, like it or not, media has a big impact on how we shape our society, even the stuff you can dismiss as 'fairy tales'. 

What I will say instead (and I think is more accurate to what you were actually going for) is that sometimes it's okay to enjoy a movie for what it is in spite of its flaws. I found a comment a couple of weeks ago on a different site pointing out that Infinity War was kinda shite when it came to the treatment of its female characters and, while I love the movie, I couldn't really disagree with the points being raised. However, I can still love the film in spite of that flaw, while still acknowledging that it is in fact a flaw. No movie is perfect, after all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Its' a fairy tale.  Are people going to start saying they don't like Cinderella anymore because the poor girl ends up with the rich man?  She's a woman, she don't need no man to make her happy and she sure as shit doesn't need no fancy carriage or magic shoes.  And fuck that pumpkin as well.

And why shouldn't they if they personally don't connect with it for that reason? Times change, so does culture and people's relationship to it. These things aren't set in stone forever. And with The Princess Bride, it's neither a sacred text nor are people suddenly denying it all its virtues, all that's being said is that it's kind of an oversight when you go so far as to name your entire movie after a character and yet she barely does anything in it. 

2 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

...the 1980's?

Also I disagree on the second point. I don't think any movie should be immune to critical/political/racial/etc studies. Movies are media and, like it or not, media has a big impact on how we shape our society, even the stuff you can dismiss as 'fairy tales'. 

What I will say instead (and I think is more accurate to what you were actually going for) is that sometimes it's okay to enjoy a movie for what it is in spite of its flaws. I found a comment a couple of weeks ago on a different site pointing out that Infinity War was kinda shite when it came to the treatment of its female characters and, while I love the movie, I couldn't really disagree with the points being raised. However, I can still love the film in spite of that flaw, while still acknowledging that it is in fact a flaw. No movie is perfect, after all.

The story of Buttercup didn't take place in the 80's.  

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Meh, LaLa Land is what it is but at least its more deserving than some on this list. 

DTRT is amazing

Considering it's probably only one of two - and the highest ranked - non animated musicals on this list it's completely disheartening

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

The story of Buttercup didn't take place in the 80's.  

Yeah, but considering the framing device, the film technically does.

(That said, it was a joke anyway, so I'm not really going to defend it all that much.)

logan_banner.jpg

Number 77

Logan (2017)

20th Century Fox, Directed by James Mangold (51 Points, 17 Votes)

6d8bae49570389.58b85c83e7520.jpg

"Nature made me a freak. Man made me a weapon. And God made it last too long."

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: NEW

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 93% (7.9 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 226.3m (234.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X, somewhere on the Mexican border. However, Logan's attempts to hide from the world, and his legacy, are upended when a young mutant arrives, pursued by dark forces.

Critic Opinion: "The importance of “Logan” is heightened by the increasingly frustrating superhero movie landscape.  The 21st century has been a geek wish list come true, with franchises for every major superhero, overlapping with each other like a never-ending quilt of awesome. But the more that the stories of Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man and the others weave together, the less allowance for surprise or deviation. When movies are planned in multitiered phases, the master plan becomes bigger than any one filmmaker or actor.  “Logan” is so much better than that. A very dark movie, filled with hope for the future." - Peter Hartlaub

User Opinion: "Logan is the perfect conclusion to Jackmans Wolverine. The film wisely takes its time for each charakter and the storyline to set the dramatic tone. There are a lot of quiet moments and dialogue scenes (though very well written) that worked as a contrast to the action scenes which were phenomenal. The camera, cinematography and lighting cant get enough praise." - @Brainbug

"We've entered a cinema period where all the main characters in a movie die. " - @DeeCee

Commentary: Logan comes in as the second movie from 2017 to make the list, and the first comic book movie to make an appearance.  Logan takes the risk of an R-Rated Deadpool up a notch by not just simply making an adult comedy, but making an expensive r-rated drama that could be at risk of alienating some of the younger fans.  This is another film that was likely benefited from recency bias as it's release date was rather soon, and it made it onto the list more from quantity of votes rather than it be driven by a few passion votes with some quantity votes backing it (like a few others around this ones ranking).  The movie landed on around 29% of the lists.

Decade Count: 10s (6), 80s (5), '00s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), Marvel (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (6), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (2), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Animation (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1), Superhero (1), Comic Book (1)

logan-cinemaemscta-banner.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 4