The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

21 hours ago, DAR said:

Chinatown is terrific. I remember whem I did my list it was in that group I had to cut 

Turns out I might be an idiot. I was just looking at my list on Letterboxd and Chinatown not only made my top 100,  But it’s even number 46

24 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

...the 1980's?

Also I disagree on the second point. I don't think any movie should be immune to critical/political/racial/etc studies. Movies are media and, like it or not, media has a big impact on how we shape our society, even the stuff you can dismiss as 'fairy tales'. 

What I will say instead (and I think is more accurate to what you were actually going for) is that sometimes it's okay to enjoy a movie for what it is in spite of its flaws. I found a comment a couple of weeks ago on a different site pointing out that Infinity War was kinda shite when it came to the treatment of its female characters and, while I love the movie, I couldn't really disagree with the points being raised. However, I can still love the film in spite of that flaw, while still acknowledging that it is in fact a flaw. No movie is perfect, after all.

I agree with the overall point you're making here. I too noticed  that Buttercup actually did relatively little when I re-watched it with my girlfriend last year, but we both(more me than her) still really loved it in general mostly for how it really nailed its atmosphere and felt like a true fairy-tale without feeling generic at all. This movie really inspires me creatively but it's honestly good to be aware of its flaws while being inspired by its qualities.

Although one thing I'll say in its defense regarding this issue is that this is the story as told to a little boy in the 80's so of course the focus was more on the male hero than the princess as little boys that age don't tend to care much for princesses overall, specially back then.

2 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Number 77

Logan (2017)

20th Century Fox, Directed by James Mangold (51 Points, 17 Votes)

6d8bae49570389.58b85c83e7520.jpg

"Nature made me a freak. Man made me a weapon. And God made it last too long."

:wub:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Logan was #67 on my list. I think it is a very competent film and I'm glad it made the list.

Wouldn't you want films on your top 100 to be more than just competent? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Honestly, as a huge fan of the X-Men movies I couldn't have asked for a better farewell to Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart from this franchise than Logan. It's honestly an incredible pay-off for their characters and it was incredibly emotional to me to watch it.

Yes I am biased toward this franchise and heavily invested in it so I'm sure that enhanced my experience but I'm quite fine with that.

It was 15th on my list.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

So I guess our top 3 of 2017 (Dunkirk/GO/2049) are all essentially locked for the list 

tenor.gif?itemid=5093797

WW was under 200 though, and TLJ was below that on the 2017 list. Maybe there's hope for others *cough*

Edited by WrathOfHan

download.php?type=download&image=87923&s

Number 76

Footloose (1984)

Paramount, Herbert Ross (51 Points, 17 Votes)

51emHSy2djL.jpg

"Hey, hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!"

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Starlord's Favorite Movie

Tomatometer: 51% (5.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 80m (218m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A city teenager moves to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned, and his rebellious spirit shakes up the populace.

Critic Opinion: "At the end, when Penn hit the dance floor and joyfully copied Travolta's disco stance, the moment came when I laughed affectionately and said, "Y'know, this isn't actually all that bad."" - Rob Gonslaves

User Opinion: "This has got me dancing in the sheets!" - @Ethan Hunt

"I hate dancing, and parties, but loved this one!" - @WrathOfHan

Commentary: This one definitely shocked me, I had no idea there was such love for Footloose on these forums.  In fact, I couldn't even find the review thread so I just made up a few quotes from users I figured would be true.  In fact, one user even voted this one as the greatest movie ever made, I guess Kevin Bacon really suaded that user with those moving hips.  It almost seemed like this movie was a code for some other movie, as if users were trying to sneak past one of the strict rules of this countdown.  

Decade Count: 10s (6), 80s (6), '00s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Herbert Ross (1) Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), Marvel (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (6), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Thriller (4), Action (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Comedy (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), Period Piece (2), Family/Children (2), Animation (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1), Superhero (1), Comic Book (1)

image-w856.jpg?1481139867

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

AVENGERS INFINITY WAR MADE IT!!!!

by the way,

who. Even I didn’t vote for it

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Although one thing I'll say in its defense regarding this issue is that this is the story as told to a little boy in the 80's so of course the focus was more on the male hero than the princess as little boys that age don't tend to care much for princesses overall, specially back then.

I'm not really in the mood to get into much of a sociological debate right now especially since, as mentioned, I do enjoy Princess Bride plenty (in fact I'm pretty certain it was in my Top 100) but I will point out that this why we kinda need a critical eye on this stuff. Because really think about what you've just written. That it's okay for the female lead to relatively useless and a damsel in this movie because it's a story for young boys and that that's just normal for this sort of story. And now think about why that might be problematic in its wider implications and what it says about our media/society as a whole.

Again, not saying Buttercup needed to be the protagonist or sole focus or anything like that, or that it's solely (or primarily) a problem with Princess Bride or even that it's an unforgivable problem. It's just something to think on, perhaps.

Anyway, on an unrelated note....

On 5/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, rukaio101 said:

Throwing out some basic predictions for this list.

- At least one 2017 movie will appear on the list that probably doesn't really deserve to be on there but is because it's popular and came out recently. My bet is on Logan and/or Blade Runner 2049.

28 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

logan_banner.jpg

Number 77

Logan (2017)

20th Century Fox, Directed by James Mangold (51 Points, 17 Votes)

FUCKING CALLED IT!

• Haha 2