The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 minute ago, Punishment said:

I wonder if Footloose has the lowest RT score for a movie that has been on any of these top 100 lists?

I doubt it.  If a movie like maybe Texas Chainsaw makes it, that or something like it might be lower.

5 Years from now people will ask, "Is Footloose still on BOT's list of greatest movies of all time?", and I'll simply respond, "It never was!"

Here's the real number 76

captain-america-winter-soldier-bannerr(1

Number 76

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Marvel Studios, Directed by The Russo Bros (51 Points, 17 Votes)

51lx-De2CvL._SY445_.jpg

"Air conditioning is fully operational."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (96, +20), 2014 (78, +2)

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 89% (7.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 259.8m (285.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with a fellow Avenger and S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier.

Critic Opinion: "Captain America: The Winter Soldier continues—indeed, elevates—Marvel’s strong run. It is easily the studio’s most ambitious undertaking short of The Avengers, artfully knitting together Cap’s WWII history and the present-day Marvel-verse, while also serving as robust connective tissue to next year’s Avengers sequel. The performances are good, the script (by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely) is sharp, and the action sequences are nothing short of superb. Those who don’t care for superhero flicks may not be won over. But those with any affinity for the genre are likely to emerge profoundly satisfied." - Christopher Orr

User Opinion: "The Russo Brothers, Markus & McFeely, and Kevin Feige created a modern genre masterpiece with their sequel to the fabulous Captain America: The First Avenger. More importantly, they catapulted the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a completely new stratosphere of creativity and quality. TWS proves that modern blockbusters can nuanced, emotional character moments, and brilliantly choreographed action sequences.

The shrewdest creative decision in TWS is to have Natasha Romanoff fill the role/trope of the Best Friend/Sidekick and Sam Wilson to fill the role/trope of the Love Interest. By flipping these gendered norms, the movie now explores refreshingly modern takes on friendship and trust.

My favorite element of Captain America: The Winter Soldier is that for a superhero action movie, it features a hero whose true power is his goodness, and his ability to inspire others.  His big power play in the Third Act is to give a speech, over the PA system.  Steve's Price of Freedom Speech is the perfect example of all that's good about Captain America." - @captainwondyful

Commentary: So the MCU makes its first appearance on this list with Captain America: The Winter Soldier.  I'm probably not the best person to talk about this movie, as it's definitely a film that I've never been able to understand the hype about.  Fans of the movie will often proclaim the films balance between drama, intense action sequences and humor, as well as it's ability to take the character a bit more seriously, without delving into a depressing tone.  The film appeared on quite a few lists, however most placed it on the lower portion of their lists with the exception of a number 1 vote propelling it from just outside the top 100 to well past the 100 mark.

Decade Count: 10s (7), 80s (5), '00s (4), 90s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1), Russo Brothers (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (6), Thriller (5), Action (5), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Crime/Noir (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (2), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Animation (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

Captain+America+Winter+Soldier_Banner.jp

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

Winter Soldier is legitimately awesome, and will be remembered as one of the very best MCU films. That what happens when you let your films address pertinent topics such as the theme of security.

• Like 4

Winter Soldier is terrific.  It's probably the best solo movie outside of Iron Man.  It's helped by a terrific performance from Evans, plus great support from Johansson and even Grillo adds some nice bad guy stuff to it.  Plus you have Robert Redford and some terrific action with the Winter Soldier.  It didn't make my top 100 but it's a fine film.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The film appeared on quite a few lists, however most placed it on the lower portion of their lists with the exception of number 1 vote propelling it from just outside the top 100 to well past the 100 mark.

Congratulations and thanks @captainwondyful ! :lol:

3f913171fe8d72116f939bb1971072f6.gif

I was not remotely fucking around when it came to TWS.  I saw that in 2016 it was #94, and was like, NOPE.

I also laugh at how I've seen that clip about thirty times and I STILL watched the whole thing.

I love the way Captain America: The Winter Soldier uses action to expose character.

We start with the Lemurian Star sequence.  It takes place at night.  Steve's wearing his dark stealth suit.  Steve Rogers is not a bad ass for jumping out of that plane without a parachute.  He's suicidal.  He has zero regards for his safety and well being.  He tosses his enemies around without concern.  We feel him in his dark place, trying to find his new role in the world.

In the Washington DC Street Fight -- the Best Action Sequence Marvel's Ever Put On Screen -- the entire sequence takes place in street clothes.  Our heroes have found out that the enemies is from within and have shed their past alliances.  They're trying to survive, trying to find who they are in this new world.  This sequence is also so smart.  I love that Natasha Romanoff stops when she sees the shadows.  I love that Sam Wilson LITERALLY brings a knife to a gun fight and wins.  I love the intense fight choreography of Steve Rogers and Winter Soldier's fight -- and then he rips off that mask, for that reveal, and we're right back to Steve, and his emotions.

Finally, in the Hellicarrier sequence, Steve emerges in his old Captain America suit.  He's found a new purpose in the world.  This sequence is the most 'superhero' of the movie.  Yet, we still keep it personal, because now it's about saving Bucky.  I love that it ends with two of the most skilled fighters in the world having a wrestling match.

I judge every modern action movie and superhero film based off this movie.  It's god damn flawless.

tumblr_n9ogn6PIAK1qeidy7o8_250.gif

Also

34 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

5 Years from now people will ask, "Is Footloose still on BOT's list of greatest movies of all time?", and I'll simply respond, "It never was!"

KUDOS.  You're really the true champion here.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Al-Pacino-banner.jpg

Number 75

Heat (1995)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Michael Mann (52 Points, 13 Votes)

xUhvxDk50zT5l2LPVHISycgSkzq.jpg

"Well ya know, for me, the action is the juice.:

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (77, +2), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (89, +15), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Rated #123 on IMDb Top 250

Tomatometer: 86% (7.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 67.4m (140.6m)

Synopsis: A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist, while both sides attempt to find balance between their personal and professional lives.

Critic Opinion: "If there's one thing Michael Mann knows how to do, it's create tension. He's a master of texture and atmosphere, and in "Heat," the volatile though confounding story of a Los Angeles detective's hunt for a master thief, writer-director Mann works as if he were a composer, laying down his super-saturated wide-screen images like a series of menacing, unresolved chords." - Hal Hinson

User Opinion: "I've actually seen Heat in theaters back in 1995, but haven't seen the movie since. Watched it just now, still holds up. Everyone is just fantastic in general, plus the movie still showcases one of the best firefights ever in a movie (and loved the soundtrack to that scene as well). Coffee scene between DeNiro and Pacino an absolute classic." - @BoxOfficeZ

"Great movie and probably one of the most intense endings ever. The score is simply beautiful in those last 5 minutes." - @darkelf

Commentary: Finally breaks the 2010s decade streak is a 90s movie that may not have taken off with critics or the awards circuit back on its release, but has since become a major cult classic that's beloved by quite a few of the members on these forums.  This may not be a cyberthriller that was never released in China, but Michael Mann proves himself as a more than capable director with this film.  The movie scored an average of 4 points from each member who voted for it, showing that it was right around the 26-35 mark by most of the members who placed it on their lists.

Decade Count: 10s (7), 80s (5), '00s (4), 90s (4), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Orson Welles (1), Russo Brothers (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (6), Thriller (6), Action (5), Crime/Noir (5), Adventure (4), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (2), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Animation (1), War (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

tumblr_noizresaFV1qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I was not remotely fucking around when it came to TWS.  I saw that in 2016 it was #94, and was like, NOPE.

I also laugh at how I've seen that clip about thirty times and I STILL watched the whole thing.

I love the way Captain America: The Winter Soldier uses action to expose character.

We start with the Lemurian Star sequence.  It takes place at night.  Steve's wearing his dark stealth suit.  Steve Rogers is not a bad ass for jumping out of that plane without a parachute.  He's suicidal.  He has zero regards for his safety and well being.  He tosses his enemies around without concern.  We feel him in his dark place, trying to find his new role in the world.

In the Washington DC Street Fight -- the Best Action Sequence Marvel's Ever Put On Screen -- the entire sequence takes place in street clothes.  Our heroes have found out that the enemies is from within and have shed their past alliances.  They're trying to survive, trying to find who they are in this new world.  This sequence is also so smart.  I love that Natasha Romanoff stops when she sees the shadows.  I love that Sam Wilson LITERALLY brings a knife to a gun fight and wins.  I love the intense fight choreography of Steve Rogers and Winter Soldier's fight -- and then he rips off that mask, for that reveal, and we're right back to Steve, and his emotions.

Finally, in the Hellicarrier sequence, Steve emerges in his old Captain America suit.  He's found a new purpose in the world.  This sequence is the most 'superhero' of the movie.  Yet, we still keep it personal, because now it's about saving Bucky.  I love that it ends with two of the most skilled fighters in the world having a wrestling match.

I judge every modern action movie and superhero film based off this movie.  It's god damn flawless.

I need to stop forgetting about good films. If it was fresher in my mind, it might've been on my list, too. Definitely next time, though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Also

KUDOS.  You're really the true champion here.  

Excellent post. It's remarkable how the film works well as an solid action film, and as a great thriller. It's the MCU film that I have rewatched the most, and each time I find something new to appreciate about it. It's SO good. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3