The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

We've had too much testosterone, we'll also need some estrogen in order to make a nice number 69!

MV5BMjA4NzkxNzc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQ3  140714-stern-harry-met-sally-tease_xso5d  B000ICXQU6_ErinBrockovich_UXNB1._V142892

• Haha 1

This list is the most bipolar list ever.

I have a feeling a bunch of the recent films that were added to this list won't be here in 5-10 years.  

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am very happy the Winter Soldier made the list.

When Film snobs look down at the MCU, we can always throw that movie at their faces. 

It's hilarious that you say this without even the slightest hint of irony.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Lol I was a bit too exaggerative on that one.

I still think that Memento is Nolan's most masterful work but If you ask me which one of his movies I would rewatch with a happier face that would be The Prestige. It's got a few flaws but all in all but I adore it.

With Memento it's like you respect it more than you love it.

SOMbanner3.jpg

Number 69

The Sound of Music (1965)

20th Century Fox, Directed by Robert Wise (53 Points, 11 Votes)

115480429_1300x1733.jpg

"Only grown-up men are scared of women."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 86% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 158.7m (1.3B DOM, or More than Star Wars, Infinity War, Avatar and Titanic)

Synopsis: A woman leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the children of a Naval officer widower.

Critic Opinion: "Robert Wise has transformed the delightful Rodgers and Hammerstein musical stage production of "The Sound of Music" into a magical film in which Julie Andrews gives an endearing performance in the role of Maria, the governess. Caretaker to the young seems to be Julie's metier, as she has been nominated for an Academy Award for her performance last year in Disney's production of "Mary Poppins," P.L. Travers' enchanting nanny.

"The Sound of Music," which Wise produced and directed for 20th Century-Fox, had its initial New York showing at the Rivoli Theatre last night. Filmed in Todd-AO and Deluxe color, it opens on a breath-taking panoramic view of the mountains surrounding the beautiful and ancient city of Salzburg, where the picture was shot in its entirety. It then pans to a shot of Maria singing a panegyric to her beloved mountains." - Kate Cameron

User Opinion: "Funnily enough, The Sound of Music only came to be due to a German movie about the story. It was a giant success, with an estimated 27m admisions in Germany, equal to the modern day record of Jungle Book, though back then the movie-going numbers were quite different so the comparison doesn't quite work. It also did decently in France (2.85m admissions) and was also released in the US. As was the sequel, which wasn't anywhere near as successful but still did quite well.

That's when some americans bought the rights to turn the story into a broadway-play and later a movie. The movie ended up as no.1 alltime in the US, UK and 28 other countries, but saw less admissions than the German original in France (2.2m compared to 2.85m) and was a colossal flop in Germany itself, even though that's where the original came from. It only saw an estimated 80k admissions and made less money for the studio than the costs for the copies were." - @George Parr

Commentary: I couldn't find any actual user opinions on The Sound of Music, so I guess I'll have to be the one to rave about it here.  The Sound of Music is a grand musical spectacle with some of the most memorable music ever put to screen.  Julie Andrews is absolutely phenomenal as the title character for the show, and I really feel like the opening scene truly encapsulates how wonderful she was as Maria.  The movie is gorgeous to watch, there's so many fun numbers throughout, and then the end hits you with some real emotional punch.  It's no wonder this managed to be the highest grossing movie of all time for a period of time, and that its adjusted gross is so high.  The film received quite a bit of passion votes from out users as it averaged a score of 4.8 from each user who voted for it, and it was on 18% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (8), '00s (6), 80s (5), 90s (5), 60s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (10), Thriller (10), Sci-Fi (7), Action (6), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (4), Period Piece (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Horror (3), Family/Children (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

sound-of-music-maria-von-trapp-captain-g

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

:huh: Then I think we watched two different edits of Blade Runner.

I'm not going so far as to say that I can't see how someone wouldn't interpret it as rape.  But I do think it's not technically rape.

This is a topic I really don't want to derail the thread so how about we not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm not going so far as to say that I can't see how someone wouldn't interpret it as rape.  But I do think it's not technically rape.

This is a topic I really don't want to derail the thread so how about we not.

I'm confused how anyone doesn't think it's rapey. but okay. We won't derail this thread any longer.