The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Love Rear Window. Dunno if it's Hitchcock's best but for me it's his most enjoyable front-to-back. That introductory close-up of Grace Kelly damn near made me pass out every time I saw it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That was sarcasm. See the post right above that one.

The subsequent films, including Genisys, expand and elaborate on the future that awaits John Connor and humankind. If you watch any of the other films before T1, some of the charm, mystery and sense of wonder that is inherent with the first film is lost since you already know what the future entails. Genisys is nowhere near the film that T1 is but watching it before T1 is kind of like reading the last chapter or two in a book before reading the first one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The subsequent films, including Genisys, expand and elaborate on the future that awaits John Connor and humankind. If you watch any of the other films before T1, some of the charm, mystery and sense of wonder that is inherent with the first film is lost since you already know what the future entails. Genisys is nowhere near the film that T1 is but watching it before T1 is kind of like reading the last chapter or two in a book before reading the first one.

I get you better now but as someone who's not too drawn to the franchise lore I can just pretend that nothing post-T2 (or T3, when I'm feeling generous) exists. I'd say the book comparison is kind of flawed because here the first and the last chapter are written by entirely different people decades apart. 

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Love Rear Window. Dunno if it's Hitchcock's best but for me it's his most enjoyable front-to-back. That introductory close-up of Grace Kelly damn near made me pass out every time I saw it. 

It's definitely my favourite. Movie pretty much floored me when I watched it for the first time.

• Like 3

Rear Window is flawless. Love all of the characters living around Stewart's apartment, and the murder / mystery aspect is nothing short of engaging. It's incredibly rewatchable too. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The only unbelievable thing about Rear Window is that Jimmy Stewart resists Grace Kelly when she wants to marry him. 

Wasn't that a joke on his part. I recall it was based off someone else not wanting to marry a beautiful woman, and Hitchcock couldn't understand why. 

This is super helpful, but I can't remember names.

Rear Window TFA and Die Hard all made my list.  The latter at 11.  As for the Truman Show? Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...I can’t believe it slipped my mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

The only unbelievable thing about Rear Window is that Jimmy Stewart resists Grace Kelly when she wants to marry him. 

I mean what was he thinking 

Annex%20-%20Kelly,%20Grace_03.jpg

• Like 1

taxi-driver-52daeb0b27053.jpg

Number 63

Taxi Driver (1976)

Columbia Pictures, Directed by Martin Scorsese (56 Points, 14 Votes)

taxi-driver-movie-film-metal-tin-sign.jp

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (27, -36), 2014 (64, +1), 2013 (39, -24), 2012 (26, -38)

Awards Count: Nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer:  98% (9.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 27.3m (117.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action, while attempting to liberate a twelve-year-old prostitute.

Critic Opinion: "Forty years on, ‘Taxi Driver’ remains almost impossibly perfect: it’s hard to think of another film that creates and sustains such a unique, evocative tone, of dread blended with pity, loathing, savage humour and a scuzzy edge of New York cool. Bernard Herrmann’s score sounds like the city breathing, ominous and clammy, while De Niro’s performance is a masterclass in restraint and honesty. Back on the big screen, this is still one of the pinnacles of cinema." - Dave Calhoun

User Opinion: "FWIW the best performance of all time is in this movie..." - @CoolioD1

"Such an incredible film, and Robert De Niro totally nailed it. Can you believe this was only his second feature film? Man he played the character like he was living in it the whole life time. And to think about it, he already got an Oscar award before that, for the role in Godfather2. This is really what we called "genius"." - @vc2002

Commentary: Martin Scorsese makes his second appearance on our list with one of his biggest critical hits.  Taxi Driver paints a dark, quiet and lonely tone about a city that is bright, loud and filled with people.  The film is renowned for both Scorsese's impeccable direction and style, as well as potentially De Niro's best performance of his career.  Taxi Driver is also a take that looks at a veteran in a post-Vietnam world, at how a war effected them, especially when you consider how these soldiers didn't come back to parades like the generation before them did.  Taxi Driver was on 23% of the lists that were submitted and the average score of the users that put it on their list was a 4, indicating the film was right around the 35 mark by the average user who included it on their list.

Decade Count: 10s (9), 80s (7), '00s (6), 90s (6), 60s (3), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1)

Genre Count: Thriller (12), Drama (12), Sci-Fi (10), Action (8), VFX Driven (7), Crime/Noir (7), Adventure (6), Fantasy (6), Comedy (5), Epic (4), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Family/Children (4), Romance (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Musical (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Sequel (2), Animation (1), Remake (1)

77517f395402b7c86f5daf23cfcb9dcf.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

abcb93ae858f28546690e4f0795d8da0.jpg

Number 65

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Lucasfilms, Directed by J.J. Abrams (54 Points, 13 Votes)

slide_387524_4664416_free.jpg

"Chewie... We're Home!"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (44, -21)

Awards Count: Nominated for 5 Oscars

Tomatometer: 93% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 936.7m (990.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Three decades after the Empire's defeat, a new threat arises in the militant First Order. Stormtrooper defector Finn and the scavenger Rey are caught up in the Resistance's search for the missing Luke Skywalker.

Critic Opinion: "As much a restoration as it is a reboot of a cherished movie franchise, it’s the first return trip to that galaxy far, far away since at least 1983 that requires no excuses or apologies.

It’s a complete pleasure to behold from start to finish: from the familiar scene-setting scroll — this time pulling us into the story’s central mystery and quest — to the final triumphant notes of John Williams’ classic score. The Force Awakens isn’t just one the finest movies of 2015, it’s the best movie of the year, full stop.

In a single stroke, incoming director J.J. Abrams has accomplished a feat that series creator George Lucas was unable or unwilling to do over three underwhelming Star Wars prequels from 1999 to 2005. Much as he did for Star Trek in 2009, Abrams has revived and re-energized a sci-fi franchise that many had thought was a spent force. (His Star Trek cinematographer Dan Mindel makes full use of the wide 3D screen here, his work steadier and more flare-free than in earlier collaborations with Abrams.)" - Peter Howell

User Opinion: "First off, Star Wars was FUCKING AWESOME. This is clearly the mo ie not of the year, but of the decade and makes that pathetic excuse of a blockbuster 'Avatar' running away crying with its pants down. Abrams, that little beast. He fucking nailed way out of the park, farther than A fucking Rod or Or-fucking-tiz could ever hit a ball. He nailed the tone of the movie perfectly with the score, outstanding cinematography that relates to the first, and he absolutely brought out the new comers beautifully. So many times with these reboots, directors get so caught up in the graphics, making sure its eye candy and not putting the effort in the writing. This film doesn't rub it in your face "hey look at our graphics! Aren't we way cooler and far more ahead of the originals?!". The graphics are great, but they also mesh well enough with the originals were it doesn't feel like a totally different movie, you could have easily thought this was made right with episodes 4-6, and trust me that's not a diss. It was refreshing." - @K1stpierre

"Fucking hell, I loved it even more the 2nd time around. It is fucking perfect." - @CJohn

Commentary: And the biggest movie of all-time makes an appearance on the list, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the Disney revival of the Star Wars franchise after being dormant for thirty years or so.  This sequel trilogy has gotten some flack from a few haters, but overall it's been glowingly received so far and managed to churn out three 500m+ DOM and 1b+ WW movies in a row, showing people are still willingly to come back for more.  The Force Awakens introduced a plethora of new characters to the scene, as well as the beloved villain Kylo Ren who has topped the list as one of not only the greatest Star Wars villains but flat out movie villains.  J.J. Abrams, a great director, made a fantastic movie and then passed the torch down to another masterful director, Rian Johnson who delivered a follow-up just as supreme as this one.  It's no surprise this masterpiece was voted back onto the list, despite a small decline thanks to there being no more recency bias.

Decade Count: 10s (9), 80s (7), '00s (6), 90s (6), 60s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1)

Genre Count: Thriller (11), Drama (11), Sci-Fi (10), Action (8), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (6), Fantasy (6), Comedy (5), Epic (4), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Family/Children (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (1), Remake (1)

latest?cb=20160403174210

Why do you have to ruin a nice write up about of the most well liked blockbuster of the modern age and put in a plug for TLJ saying it is on the same level.

That may be your subjective opinion but it is pretty much an objective fact the two films could not be more different in overall reception.