The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I'm fine with City of God, There Will Be Blood and Grave of the Fireflies being on the list. Meh on the other three. 

236.                      The Great Escape

This is why Tele left. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

I'm fine with City of God, There Will Be Blood and Grave of the Fireflies being on the list. Meh on the other three. 

This is why Tele left. 

what-not-to-say-to-broken-hearted-girl-4

download.php?type=download&image=68988&s

Number 94

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Python Pictures, Directed by Terry Gillam and Terry Jones (46 Points, 12 Votes)

General_FOLDER_HG%20Poster_PORTRAIT%20UK

"It's just a flesh wound!"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (-30, 64), 2014 (-19, 75), 2013 (-35, 59), 2012 (-24, 71)

Awards Count: Ranked #104 on IMDb's Top 250 

Tomatometer: 97% (8.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: N/A

Synopsis: King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table embark on a surreal, low-budget search for the Holy Grail, encountering many, very silly obstacles.

Critic Opinion: "Of course, the Python brand of humor is something of an acquired taste, and is not for everyone. I have known people who can sit through the "Dead Parrot Sketch" episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and not once crack a smile. The first time I saw The Holy Grail, I was convulsed with laughter for practically the entire running length. Now, six or seven viewings later, I still smile and chuckle. Regardless of where an individual's comedy zone lies, it's impossible to deny the intelligence of the script, and the movie's willingness to take chances and be different. Those qualities alone should be enough for even a humor-impaired viewer to find something to like about Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And, for those who "get" the jokes, this motion picture represents one of the best and brightest comedies ever to shine from the silver screen." - James Beradanelli

User Opinion: "My favorite movie. It's absolutely riotous every time." - @Hunt for the Wilderpasta

"I saw this in a theater either last year or the year before and the whole crowd loved it.  I completely forgot about one scene because it was so long since I have seen it and I was almost literally on the floor laughing.  I couldn't breathe.

Just a great comedy film" - @75Live

Commentary: I'll admit, I was definitely disappointed when I ended up seeing how low this film placed compared to previous years, as it's my favorite comedy of all-time (right next to Life of Brian).  Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a silly adventure, but one of the most renowned films about the King Arthur legend that manages to be fairly sophisticated and full of wit under its dry, ridiculous cover.  Users who voted for this film on average placed it on the top half of their lists, with an average score of 3.8, the film also appeared on nearly 20% of the lists that were submitted.  Monty Python is partially an acquired taste, but once you get on board you'll not only watch the troupes films, but their show, broadway play and oratorio as well.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (2), 80s (1), 70s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

MP3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Kudos for the selection of the rabbit scene! I think I quote: “I warned you, I warned you, but did you listen to Me, oh, no, it’s just a harmless like bunny” like once a week. Favorite line. 

• Like 2

AHS-Singin-in-the-Rain.jpg

Number 93

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

MGM, Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly (46 Points, 13 Votes)

51JJ1-Jbd5L.jpg

"Lina. She can't act, she can't sing, she can't dance. A triple threat."

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (64, -29), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 100% (9.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 1.8m

Synopsis: A silent film production company and cast make a difficult transition to sound.

Critic Opinion: "Here’s the power of Singin’ in the Rain: I’ve been told of fourth-grade boys, after seeing clips from the film in class, spending their recess trying to replicate some of the dance steps. Any movie that can conquer the sort of male mockery that sets in at that age is wielding a powerful form of magic.

I have to think it’s the sheer exuberance of the picture – and star, choreographer and co-director Gene Kelly in particular – to which they’re responding. The title number, in which Kelly strolls among raindrops, should by all accounts be an exercise in cheery cheese, but darn if it doesn’t make you feel like tossing a spin into your next step. Kelly’s delight – not in his own movements, but in the sheer joy of being able to move – is that contagious." - Josh Larsen

User Opinion: "The movie is pure joy.  One of my all time favorites." - @TalismanRing

"this was wayy too fun, the most famous musical number is just phenomenal, like seriously amazing." - @Goffe

Commentary: Any musical that can get a forum filled with male comic book geeks to faun over it is definitely a musical to watch out for.  Singin' in the Rain is a Gene Kelly classic that manages to bolster some of the most iconic golden age Hollywood tunes of all times.  Beyond the joy of watching the movie, the film is also acclaimed for its look at an industry in transition, and how the transition from silent to sound could mirror many other changes in the industry.  This film scored an average of 3.5 points from each list it was on, and it was placed on 21% of the lists submitted for contention.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (2), 80s (1), 70s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Singin-in-the-Rain-DI.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Singin in the Rain should be higher, but I'm glad it made it on the list period. It's straight-up movie-magic, and utterly wonderful from start to finish. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It doesn't get better than this

One of the greatest movie scenes ever.  Never fails to lift my spirits. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

gravity_banner1.jpg?w=1200&h=400&crop=1

Number 92

Gravity (2013)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Alfonso Cuaron (46 Points, 13 Votes)

poster-gravity.jpg

"You've got to learn to let go."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (53, -39), 2014 (42, -50)

Awards Count: Won 7 Oscars, including Best Director

Tomatometer: 96% (9 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 274.1m (301.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Two astronauts work together to survive after an accident which leaves them stranded in space.

Critic Opinion: "“Gravity” does everything right in ways that are both big and small. It’s beautiful and horrifying, detailed yet enormous, specific yet universally relatable. Yes, it’s about how space can be a wondrous and unforgiving place but it’s also about earthly human truths: love and loss, perseverance and redemption.

You’re sure to find yourself reacting viscerally in some way, perhaps in many ways. I was surprised to find myself on the verge on tears nearly the whole time, so moved was I by the awesomeness of the images, then by the intimate, dreamlike way in which these two characters reveal themselves to each other, and ultimately by the sheer force of will in the face of impossible peril. But “Gravity” is primarily an incredibly intense experience: 90 minutes of tight jaw, crossed legs and clenched fists. The story itself, which director Cuaron wrote with his son, Jonas, may strike you as formulaic at first, but it will startle you again and again." - Christy Lemire

User Opinion: "In an age when so many films, both big- and small-budgeted, suffer from bloatedness and their creators' inability to say "enough" before it's too late, Gravity is truly a breath of fresh air, a film that works as well as it does precisely because Cuaron never stretches out any moment for more than is needed. He takes the few essential elements of his premise - three astronauts, a shuttle, some debris, the ISS, the Chinese station - and gradually gets rid of each one, until all that's left is Bullock on a beach, slowly rising and walking as if taking her first ever steps. Indeed, considering what she's just gone through, you might as well say she is reborn. Cuaron doesn't linger for too long on her triumph, either - allowing the audience to experience and share just enough of it, he cuts to black at the earliest affordable opportunity. Doing that, he cements his own triumph." - @Jake Gittes

"This movie!Holy shit!!Cuarón, you magnificent bastard!!" - @Deep Wang

Commentary: Gravity is a science fiction spectacle that manages to cut down to a simple human perseverance vs. nature story, yet tell it in such a real and authentic way that it's able to transform the plot cliches into a memorable cinematic experience.  It's one of the few visual effects driven movies that moved me beyond from going "Wow, that's pretty" and instead left me in awe at the entire thing.  Between this and Children of Men, Alfonso Cuaron continually proves himself as a true auteur in the sci-fi genre.  As with Singin' in the Rain, the average score this movie received from lists submitted was a 3.5, indicating the users tended to place it well in their upper half.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (2), 80s (1), 70s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Genre Count: Sci-Fi (2), Fantasy (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Crime (1), Period Drama (1), Musical (1)

gravity-2k-hd-trailer-stills-movie-bullo

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1