The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

download.php?type=download&image=80564&s

Number 91

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Miramax, Directed by Gus van Sant (47 Points, 13 Votes)

no461-my-good-will-hunting-minimal-movie

"I have to go see about a girl."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Not Ranked), 2014 (96, +5), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars during the year Titanic sweeped

Tomatometer: 97% (8.1 Avg)

Box Office: 138.4m (270.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Will Hunting, a janitor at M.I.T., has a gift for mathematics, but needs help from a psychologist to find direction in his life.

Critic Opinion: "The best thing about Good Will Hunting is not in its well-crafted, psychological symmetries but in the just-plain messiness of its humanity. It's rowdy, it's funny, it's heartbreaking — it rings of life.

Director Van Sant (To Die For, My Own Private Idaho) has distilled the personal stories to breath-gasping dimension and he has layered in the philosophical themes in correct perspective — as subsets to the human stories." - Duane Byrge

User Opinion: "AMAZING script and great performances from everyone. Good Will Hunting made me cry my ass off, and I consider it a masterpiece." - @Jack Nevada

"Very good movie. Brilliant script and performances from every single actor involved. Wish Damon and Affleck would write a script together again." - @ChD

Commentary: Good Will Hunting is our first straight, contemporary and conventional drama to make it onto the list but don't let that sound like it's a knock on the film.  Matt Damon and Ben Affleck crafted a script that has really cemented itself into pop culture, back in a time when films could be box office hits without including a ten minute action sequence, men in spandex or CGI spaceships.  The film is an authentic look at learning to move past grief and pain, and it does so in a way that manages to avoid the line of ever being to sentimental or cheese laden.  On average, this film received a ranking score of 3.6 from members who voted for it, while it was included on around 20% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (2), 90s (1), 80s (1), 70s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Gus van Sant (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Epic (2), Sci-Fi (2), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Adventure (1). Animation (1), Comedy (1), Crime/Noir (1), Period Piece (1), Musical (1), Thriller (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Western (1)

326afb316c9707431f9f984cd70a0739.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 17

Also, before I go to bed, here are some other misses in the Top 250

215.     Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest

216.     (500) Days of Summer

217.     Tremors

218.     Big Fish

219.     Jurassic World

220.     Ocean’s Eleven

221.     Office Space

222.     Duck Soup

223.     Slumdog Millionare

224.     Raising Arizona

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

217.     Tremors

218.     Big Fish

219.     Jurassic World

220.     Ocean’s Eleven

221.     Office Space

222.     Duck Soup

224.     Raising Arizona

Raising Arizona is 224?

You people are philistines.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like Gravity, but think it's too short, usually when a movie is that short I can't really get too invested on it. Singing in the rain is great, wasn't on my list, but could have easily been. Monty Python and Good Will Hunting are too low.

5/10 so far.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

On the Town > Singin' in the Rain imo but I can't begrudge the latter being there. Kinda wish people would explore more of the genre if they love its most famous movie so much though.

I really like On The Town, it's fun and filled with some great scenes but just not in the same league.  It fits in with other solid Kelly/Astaire musicals like Take Me Out To The Ball Game, & Anchors Away (my favorite of the group)Singing In The Rain, An American In Paris & Brigadoon are my top tier Kelly with The Pirate somewhere in between.

I've seen a lot of musicals, it's one of my favorite genres,

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

217.     Tremors

218.     Big Fish

219.     Jurassic World

220.     Ocean’s Eleven

221.     Office Space

222.     Duck Soup

224.     Raising Arizona

Actually surprised that Jurassic World and Dead Man's Chest are this high. I really like Dead Man's Chest, but had the impression that it was not well liked here.

12 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Actually surprised that Jurassic World and Dead Man's Chest are this high. I really like Dead Man's Chest, but had the impression that it was not well liked here.

I'm sure both of those, especially Jurassic World, were greatly helped by @JamesCameronScholar's list of Top 100 highest grossing films minus BP/IW.

None of the films so far are on my list but Sing in the Rain, Holy Grail and Good Will Hunting are in my top 200.

• Like 1