The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

8 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

It is easily the best thing in the movie. Also tall man is impressive. But yeah, I can see why this is a cult classic, but boy it's...it's not very good.

And now that I'm done...I am very confused.

25 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

cropped-toy-story-3-71-banner2.jpg

Number 44

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Pixar, Directed by Lee Unkrich (68 Points, 19 Votes)

toy_story_3_alternative_poster_by_iamphi

"So long... partner."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (30, -14), 2014 (13, -31), 2013 (33, -11), 2012 (67, +23)

Awards Rankings: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 99% (8.9 Avg Rating0

Box Office: 415m (488.6m Adjusted)

Synopis: The toys are mistakenly delivered to a day-care center instead of the attic right before Andy leaves for college, and it's up to Woody to convince the other toys that they weren't abandoned and to return home.

Critic Opinion: "TS3, like its predecessors, is a clever, engrossing adventure, and, like any sequel, it tries to balance continuity with novelty, the latter provided by a cadre of shiny new characters (led by a plush-toy improv troupe) in superfluous 3-D. Pixar has always wedded technological innovation to classic storytelling, and despite some unwelcome steps toward snarky Shrekification, this latest film still manages to bull’s-eye the primal emotions that resonate with children of all ages. When teenaged Andy plops down on the grass to share his old toys with a shy little girl, the film spikes with sadness and layered pleasure—a concise, deeply wise expression of the ephemeral that feels real and yet utterly transporting." - Eric Hynes

User Opinion: "TS3 could be my all-time favorite animated movie. It really has everything you'd wish for in a movie. The last scene is a tearjerker because it's about letting go of your childhood. But the movie doesn't forget to excite you with the "prison escape" scenes and to also make you laugh.

I don't want to give it an A+ because too many movies get that rating. TS3 is something special; it deserves better." - @lolifofo

"Beautiful animation, beautiful characters, beautiful ending to what could, argubably, be considered the best trilogy of all time, by some. This movie's last 20 minutes are some of the most incredible scenes put to film in cinema history.. no exaggeration. The hand holding scene was gut wrenching, beautiful, powerful, sad, and epic, all at once. And just when you thought Pixar couldn't go for more, they create the last scene with Andy saying goodbye to his friends by giving them away in a heartfelt closing scene. Love love love this movie."  - @Letsuseournoggin

Commentary: The Toy Story saga makes it onto our list again, this time with the closing chapter (or what should have been) of the series.  Toy Story 3 takes the same characters you've grown to love, places them in a prison break adventure, and then rips your heart out with a final twenty minutes that is the reason this installment has gotten so much acclaim, including being one of the only animated films nominated for Best Picture.  Lee Unkrich has shown himself to be one of Pixar's finest directors, and Toy Story 3 might be the crown achievement from his repertoire.  The film landed on 31% of the lists submitted with an average score of 3.6.

Decade Count: 10s (12), 90s (10), '00s (9), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (47), 80%-90% (10)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (5), 300m (3), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (20)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Pixar (3), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Toy Story (2) 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1)

Genre Count: Drama (19), Thriller (15), Adventure (15), Sci-Fi (13), VFX Driven (13), Fantasy (12), Comedy (11), Action (10), Epic (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Romance (8), Family/Children (8), Indie (7), Period Piece (7), War (6), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Sequel (6), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (4), Animation (4), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Spy/Detective (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

toy-story-3-22.jpg

C'mon, I was the only Top 5 voter?  Man, there need to be more moms on this board...that scene "passing the torch" is one of the most heart-breaking, and yet heart-warming, ever done:)...

And I called the the 1st of the 3 animated movies coming:)... 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Now that it's obvious I was talking about animation, the next film up is in fact Disney, could it be Bambi?

Nah. I love it a lot but I will recognize that it’s not everyone’s favorite Disney film. I won’t be disheartened if it isn’t on the list.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Dammit, now I'm out of likes on a Thursday...this thread is killing me (but awesome choice:)...

It’s my personal favorite animated Disney film. Probably might bumb it into the the Top 10 when next year’s list comes around.

It's our second Romatic Comedy film!

aladdin-51b4a1302c4ce.jpg

Number 43

Aladdin (1992)

Walt Disney Animation Studios, Directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (68 Points, 19 Votes)

aladdin_minimalist_poster_by_geektruth64

"A whole new world!"

Top 10 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (84, +41), 2014 (73, +30), 2013 (78, +35), 2012 (56, +13)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 94% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 217.4m (480.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When a street urchin vies for the love of a beautiful princess, he uses a genie's magic power to make himself off as a prince in order to marry her.

Critic Opinion: "Based on familiar Arabian Nights episodes, Aladdin is set in the mythical kingdom of Agrabah. The title character is a street kid who - with the help of a genie from a magic lamp - wins the hand of the sultan's daughter.  The classic parts of Aladdin aren't musty-classic, as certain sections of Beauty and the Beast were.

Visually, they're exotic-classic, with such marvelous sights as the wind-swept Arabian sandscape, the sultan's opulent castle and the scary, tiger-mouthed Cave of Wonders. Some sequences are painted in rich, supersaturated colors, which contrast splendidly with the mysteriously dark nighttime scenes.  As for the movie's hip side, it's not so different from those Warner Bros. cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.  In an especially brilliant stroke, some of the tale's traditional, serious characters have been paired with modern-seeming, comical ones." - Jay Boyar

User Opinions: "Robin Williams is incredible in the Genie role, one of my most favorite works of his for sure. I grew up with this movie among other Disney classics. I don't think I can count the times I have watched Aladdin, I still watched it every time it's on TV.

It's fun, entertaining, great music, good animation, and also got lots of heart. One of the cutest, probably top 5, romances in a Disney movie. And Jafar is definitely up there in my best Disney villains list, alongside Ursula, Maleficent, Gaston, and a few others."  - @Sam

"One of my fav animated movies ever. Great soundtrack and a lot of fun." - @Michael Gary Scott

Commentary: Walt Disney finally makes a showing on our list with their 90s Arabian classic, Aladdin!  Aladdin made quite a jump from previous years, possibly because there's the live action remake coming soon, or maybe simply because the movie is an all-time animated classic.  Every song in the film is instantly memorable, even the lesser songs like Arabian Nights and Prince Ali really pop compared to some other Disney musicals where the lesser songs aren't all that remembered.  The film is compact and tightly paced, keeping even the youngest entertained and excited the entire way through.  This is a film that you'll be hard pressed to find somebody who actively dislikes it.  Aladdin also had broad appeal on our forums, making into 31% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (12), 90s (11), '00s (9), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (48), 80%-90% (10)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (6), 300m (3), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (20)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Pixar (3), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Toy Story (2) 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), WDAS 1)

Genre Count: Drama (19), Adventure (16), Thriller (15), VFX Driven (14), Sci-Fi (13), Fantasy (13), Comedy (11), Action (10), Epic (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Romance (9), Family/Children (9), Period Piece (8), Indie (7), War (6), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Sequel (6), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Animation (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (4), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Spy/Detective (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Romantic Comedy (2), Sports (1)

aladdin-1992-07-g.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Now that it's obvious I was talking about animation, the next film up is in fact Disney, could it be Bambi?

If it's the Lion King, I'm gonna start a protest that you all need to appreciate animation more:)...

EDIT: Phew...not there yet:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

it is a one of a kind epic that deserve all the wait

Hopefully you won't be waiting forever :whosad:

Also, I'm about to eat and go see Deadpool 2, so the final two films for the night will be after that!

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it's the Lion King, I'm gonna start a protest that you all need to appreciate animation more:)...

EDIT: Phew...not there yet:)...

...so...if I put alladin on my list and not Lion King?

• Like 1

The smartest thing Toy Story 3 did was write a story for twenty-somethings.  They aged Andy, so the audience that saw the original when they were Andy's age, now are going off to college with him.  I love that they even use the same voice actor.

The Toy Story series had such a traumatic and enduring affect on me.  I saw the first one when I was eight, and I was CONVINCED my toys were real.  My "Woody" was my American Girl doll Samantha.  She went EVERYWHERE with me.  Once, she fell in a lake which caused her hair to become crazy ratty.  At the time, you could send the doll away to the "hospital."  Mom explained to me that it meant it was sent back to the factory and get a new part.  I totally refused, because in the back of my mind, I still subconsciously thought of Toy Story.  To this day, Samantha has never been in storage because of Toy Story 2.  I'm well past eight now; and right now, she's still displayed on my home office bookshelf.

Phenomenal movie.

Aladdin is solid, too.  I'm still holding out hope for my fave of faves, though.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

It's our second Romatic Comedy film!

aladdin-51b4a1302c4ce.jpg

Number 43

Aladdin (1992)

Walt Disney Animation Studios, Directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (68 Points, 19 Votes)

aladdin_minimalist_poster_by_geektruth64

"A whole new world!"

Top 10 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (84, +41), 2014 (73, +30), 2013 (78, +35), 2012 (56, +13)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 94% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 217.4m (480.4m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When a street urchin vies for the love of a beautiful princess, he uses a genie's magic power to make himself off as a prince in order to marry her.

Critic Opinion: "Based on familiar Arabian Nights episodes, Aladdin is set in the mythical kingdom of Agrabah. The title character is a street kid who - with the help of a genie from a magic lamp - wins the hand of the sultan's daughter.  The classic parts of Aladdin aren't musty-classic, as certain sections of Beauty and the Beast were.

Visually, they're exotic-classic, with such marvelous sights as the wind-swept Arabian sandscape, the sultan's opulent castle and the scary, tiger-mouthed Cave of Wonders. Some sequences are painted in rich, supersaturated colors, which contrast splendidly with the mysteriously dark nighttime scenes.  As for the movie's hip side, it's not so different from those Warner Bros. cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.  In an especially brilliant stroke, some of the tale's traditional, serious characters have been paired with modern-seeming, comical ones." - Jay Boyar

User Opinions: "Robin Williams is incredible in the Genie role, one of my most favorite works of his for sure. I grew up with this movie among other Disney classics. I don't think I can count the times I have watched Aladdin, I still watched it every time it's on TV.

It's fun, entertaining, great music, good animation, and also got lots of heart. One of the cutest, probably top 5, romances in a Disney movie. And Jafar is definitely up there in my best Disney villains list, alongside Ursula, Maleficent, Gaston, and a few others."  - @Sam

"One of my fav animated movies ever. Great soundtrack and a lot of fun." - @Michael Gary Scott

Commentary: Walt Disney finally makes a showing on our list with their 90s Arabian classic, Aladdin!  Aladdin made quite a jump from previous years, possibly because there's the live action remake coming soon, or maybe simply because the movie is an all-time animated classic.  Every song in the film is instantly memorable, even the lesser songs like Arabian Nights and Prince Ali really pop compared to some other Disney musicals where the lesser songs aren't all that remembered.  The film is compact and tightly paced, keeping even the youngest entertained and excited the entire way through.  This is a film that you'll be hard pressed to find somebody who actively dislikes it.  Aladdin also had broad appeal on our forums, making into 31% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (12), 90s (11), '00s (9), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (48), 80%-90% (10)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (6), 300m (3), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (20)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), Lee Unkrich (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), John Musker (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Pixar (3), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Toy Story (2) 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), WDAS 1)

Genre Count: Drama (19), Adventure (16), Thriller (15), VFX Driven (14), Sci-Fi (13), Fantasy (13), Comedy (11), Action (10), Epic (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Romance (9), Family/Children (9), Period Piece (8), Indie (7), War (6), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Sequel (6), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Animation (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (4), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Spy/Detective (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Romantic Comedy (2), Sports (1)

aladdin-1992-07-g.jpg

tumblr_lybkvvpg1z1qfx2w3o1_500.gif

Toy Story 3 is amazing, it was in my top 20.

As someone who was just about to finish high-school, and had grown up with Toy Story 1 and 2, when the film first came out, I could relate to it a lot. While the entire film is fantastic, the last twenty minutes especially had me bawling my eyes out. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

C'mon, I was the only Top 5 voter?  Man, there need to be more moms on this board...that scene "passing the torch" is one of the most heart-breaking, and yet heart-warming, ever done:)...

And I called the the 1st of the 3 animated movies coming:)... 

Only problem with that scene is that its very... dusty. At least, thats what I assume is going on with my eyes.

• Like 2

I haven’t seen a 2D Disney Classic in like 15 years or so, and even then I think I had only seen the old princess movies and BatB (sister had them all on vhs lol). Time to time I think in marathoning them, but then I’m like I’m 23 what I’m really going to get out of it? The time to watch them has passed, and it will be forever a black hole on my film dude curriculum most probably.

Edited by Goffe