The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 minute ago, Ranger Tree said:

On a serious note I can't say I'm usually engaged by older films. Get to 1970+ and I am pretty game for watching anything but the style of acting in older films is so wooden that I can't get over it. 

What ruk said is correct, make people watch Harry Potter AND whichever old films it was.... and I'd still bet most people alive and kicking in 2018 (well except @Telemachos) will enjoy Harry Potter more. Theres nothing wrong with that.

I've said this many many times.  Tele pointed out to me that the acting I like and identify with started with A Streetcar Named Desire.  Brando did things in that film that had never been done before.  He used Stanislavsky's approach to method acting.  And based on articles and some books I've read, this is the start of the kind of acting we know and love today.  I personally find a lot of the acting in classic films to be wooden or fake.  In fact, you can take almost any film today that has a real actor in it and the performances are better than most of the films pre 1950, imo.

So I'm glad someone else brought this up.  

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just curious, Ethan, what did you like about it?  I'm not criticizing you or mocking you, I'm really curious what it is about the film that appealed to you?

The lead performance is stellar. The craft of it is really phenomenal. The slow collapse of his mental state is fully investing. The ending reveal is killer. It just rules

• Thanks 1

One film of Ruffalo's that didn't make my top 100 but would be in my top 250 is The Kids are All right.  That was fantastic, imo.

Brando definitely popularized method acting but it's not like he was the first person in 50 years who realized that you could act naturally in a film. There's a handful of different approaches to acting in the classic Hollywood films, from aggressively stylized (which works perfectly well for stuff like noir and screwball comedies, you just gotta get used to it instead of letting the first impression throw you off), to relaxed and accessible - by the standards of the time, yes, but still. (The Best Years of Our Lives is a good example.) And there were so many actors who simply had a singular screen presence that you can't just boil down to "oh it's old so it's wooden and fake". 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Brando definitely popularized method acting but it's not like he was the first person in 50 years who realized that you could act naturally in a film. There's a handful of different approaches to acting in the classic Hollywood films, from aggressively stylized (which works perfectly well for stuff like noir and screwball comedies, you just gotta get used to it instead of letting the first impression throw you off), to relaxed and accessible - by the standards of the time, yes, but still. (The Best Years of Our Lives is a good example.) And there were so many actors who simply had a singular screen presence that you can't just boil down to "oh it's old so it's wooden and fake". 

Most performances imo were wooden and fake.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

And there were so many actors who simply had a singular screen presence that you can't just boil down to "oh it's old so it's wooden and fake". 

I don't mean that. I'm sure there are lots of things I'm missing out on. But of the films I've watched, I've rarely particularly liked them. Most of the ones that I have seen, have wooden acting.

They feel very dated to the point I struggle to engage on any level. Also call me boring or childish or whatever but I just dont like watching things in black and white. In the same way that I don't read books in ye olde english and I don't play Pong in my spare time.

They have their place in history, I'm happy to accept there are people who still watch these films and enjoy them, and I do remain open minded and am not against watching them. But if I am choosing to watch a film, I have only 2 hours to watch it, and I have the choice of an old black and white film or a modern film... 

Edited by Ranger Tree
  • Like 2

Curveball!  Just kidding about the Mark Ruffalo part, I was kind of skipping ahead there!  Don't worry, he'll still show up at number 52!

2001-a-space-odyssey-banner.jpg?w=1000&h

Number 60

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Stanley Kubrick (57 Points, 15 Votes)

fd6512d9783435e28ea532436921a33c.jpg

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

Top 5 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (14, -46), 2014 (43, -17), 2013 (17, -43), 2012 (22, -38)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 92% (9.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 57m (396.8m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Humanity finds a mysterious, obviously artificial object buried beneath the Lunar surface and, with the intelligent computer H.A.L. 9000, sets off on a quest.

Critic Opinion: "A great rapturous puzzle, a voyage through outer and inner space and -- in the hippie argot of 1968 -- "the ultimate trip," Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a masterpiece that can still leave you dizzy with wonder. As much as any movie ever made, this visionary science fiction tale of space travel and first contact with extraterrestrial life is a spellbinding experience. Watching it, you can feel immersed in its landscapes, locked in its sterile space-ship interiors or lost in the immense dark skies through which Kubrick's vast space vessels ceremoniously move.

Back in 1968, I saw "2001" in its first Chicago run and, like many others, I was awestruck. Already an intense Kubrick admirer (for "Lolita" and "Dr Strangelove"), I knew I'd seen something strange and wonderful; my admiration increased over the years." - Michael Wilmington

User Opinion: "So for some reason being a huge movie buff, I was surprised to think to myself.  "Why haven't I seen 2001: A Space Odyssey".  I love Kurbrick but for some reason or another I never got around to watching this.   Oh Boy it deserves all the props that it gets.  The visuals for 1968 (12 years before I was born) was amazing.  It's crazy I watched it this weekend cause this is the 45 Anniversary this week.  So many Sci-Fi movies were clearly inspired by this including "Prometheus" recently.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the ending and the themes presented.  I clearly remember so people telling me it was "Slow" and "Boring".  I don't see that, it was very intense and had my attention the entire time.  This was movie was ahead of it's time and I could see why it was polarizing when it came out but now it's a Classic cause people have had time to digest what was presented.  The music was great, the Effects were great for their era.  I loved the acting and the computer Hal 9000 was a great villian.  This was a really great movie and even though I knew it was considered a Classic, that doesn't cloud my judgement.  Either I like a movie or I don't.  This movie blew me away." - @filmscholar

"Incredible film. Last 30 minutes of it is a total mindfuck. The visuals are decades ahead of their time." - @redfirebird2008

Commentary: Stanley Kubrick has often been regarded as a genius filmmaker who can often be quite a bit ahead of his time, especially when considering so many of his movies got polarizing receptions upon initial releases, only to become beloved classics in years time.  2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those movies, and still one of his more controversial, as everyone who sees it takes something different from it.  In fact, each time you watch this bizarre space epic about a killer AI you end up taking something else entirely different out of it, especially when you get to that insane final act.  There were quite a few passion votes for this movie that pushed it up onto the list, while the rest of the votes were along the lower placements of people's lists, it was ultimately on around 25% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (10), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (6), 60s (4), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (13), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (9), Action (8), Crime/Noir (7), Fantasy (7), Epic (7), Comedy (6), Family/Children (5), Romance (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Musical (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

2001Space195-580x250.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

For some reason I jumped ahead and started the write-up for number 52, maybe I'm anxious to get to the Ruffalo film or maybe I'm just anxious to get it out of the way!

So it's got to be Avengers.  Or....oh god no!!!  Say it isn't Ragnarok!  I just had breakfast and I do not want to puke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3