The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

2001: Space Odyssey. The second closest I've ever come to feeling high during a movie, that loves to move between good, bad, and weird, trips. It's just further proof that Kubrik was insane, and that we wouldn't really have it any other way.

Also, screw you panda for that that Ruffalo tease.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Maybe? Depends on the person? Just because you think something's an underrated classic masterpiece of cinema, doesn't mean everyone's going to necessarily agree with you. And neither does it mean that they're going to automatically rate it over something that personally brings them a lot of enjoyment just because it's more mainstream and widely popular.

Like Jake Gittes said, it's not really a question you can easily answer unless you get roughly the same amounts of people to watch both. And even then, it's not much of a guarantee. I've seen tons of classic films of all different types and eras, yet my Top 10 still contains two superhero movies and Speed Racer of all things. Because those are the films that have personally most appealed to me and that I've gained the most enjoyment from. Different people enjoy different things and a lot of popular stuff is popular for a reason.

34 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

On a serious note I can't say I'm usually engaged by older films. Get to 1970+ and I am pretty game for watching anything but the style of acting in older films is so wooden that I can't get over it. 

What ruk said is correct, make people watch Harry Potter AND whichever old films it was.... and I'd still bet most people alive and kicking in 2018 (well except @Telemachos) will enjoy Harry Potter more. Theres nothing wrong with that.

The list should be called the Top 100 Most Enjoyable Films then because a lot of truly fantastic films out there aren't really made for the purpose of enjoyment-that's what helps make film an art form after all. I'm also not saying mainstream movies can't make it on a top 100 list: I do think for instance Jurassic Park is a top 100 film for sure. 

I blame @Critically Acclaimed Panda for the false advertising. 

About the old movies thing, I had a conversation on reddit with a guy that left me a bit sad.

He said any movie pre-2000 sucked, listed like 5 of the movies pre-2000 that he actually liked (like The Matrix, Léon, nothing pre-1994) and said all the rest he watched, 99.5% of them, were trash

Because old movies are in black and white, you know.

I told him movies were mostly in color starting in the 50's... like the ones he watched.

He said Saving Private Ryan was too old and boring

I concluded we're totally incompatible :redcapes:

edit: behold

Edited by Daxtreme

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

About the old movies thing, I had a conversation on reddit with a guy that left me a bit sad.

He said any movie pre-2000 sucked, listed like 5 of the movies pre-2000 that he actually liked (like The Matrix, Léon, nothing pre-1994) and said all the rest he watched, 99.5% of them, were trash

I told him movies were mostly in color starting in the 50's... like the ones he watched.

...I weep for my generation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

download.php?type=download&image=94101&s

Number 59

Whiplash (2014)

Sony Pictures Classics, Directed by Damien Chazelle (57 Points, 18 Votes)

whiplash_poster_by_soopernoodles-d8duu10

"Not quite my tempo."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (80, +21)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 94% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 13.1m (14.6m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Critic Opinion: "There is literally blood on the drums in Whiplash.  An audacious, harrowing psychodrama about jazz, the ephemerality of greatness, and the role of a teacher, the movie is already generating Oscar talk, after its recent Toronto International Film Festival bow.  That talk is generally centered on J.K. Simmons as Terence Fletcher, a failed jazz pianist and a foul-mouthed brute unlike any teacher ever portrayed, this side of the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket (in fact, the movie has been cheekily nicknamed “Full Metal Drumkit”).

The feared conductor of a prestigious East Coast music conservatory, Fletcher is the teacher you want to impress and avoid in equal measure. To fall under his gaze in his quest to find greatness is to experience carrot-and-stick tutelage – minus the carrot. He will hurl racial invective, slap your face in the time-signature you’re failing to keep, and generally work to break you in the twisted belief it is the route to the next Charlie Parker." - Jim Slotek

User Opinions: "I can't remember the last time my blood moved this quickly when I saw a movie. This was batshit insane, like THE KARATE KID meets BLACK SWAN on steroids. Watching Andrew pushed towards his goal was both triumphant and painful. While it was clear that he had the talent to be truly amazing, especially with Fletcher's unconventional methods of help, he had basically sacrificed his own humanity to pursue his dream. Fletcher wasn't truly mean, he just had an extreme view on drive and determination that Andrew readily ate up, and while it seemed that he finally delivered in the end, Andrew's finale was not without subtle tragedy. It raises questions on determination in life without settling for easy answers and letting each side have its own humanity." - @Hunt for the Wilderpasta

"I'm in the "masterpiece" camp. It has an eminently rewatchable quality about it where you can constantly pause and rewind scenes and dialogue and never get bored of it. " - @tribefan695

Commentary: Damien Chazelle strikes the list again with his debut feature, Whiplash!  Surprisingly enough, Whiplash seems to have really gained traction since its initial release, as it made quite a large jump from 2016's placement of the movie, in fact it even leaped over Boyhood (as well as Grand Budapest and Interstellar, our Boffy Winner and Top 25 List Winner of 2014, neither of which made the list).  The movie is definitely memorable, with riveting musical sequences, an intense performance from J.K. Simmons, and a narrative drive about the dangers of a perfectionist nature.  The movie found rather broad support, landing on around 30% of the lists submitted and it had an average score of 3.2 from the users who placed it on their lists.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (6), 60s (4), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (14), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (9), Action (8), Crime/Noir (7), Fantasy (7), Epic (7), Comedy (6), Family/Children (5), Romance (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

fetch?id=34034

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Incompatible? Are you trying to say you use Reddit for online dating?

13 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The list should be called the Top 100 Most Enjoyable Films then because a lot of truly fantastic films out there aren't really made for the purpose of enjoyment-that's what helps make film an art form after all. I'm also not saying mainstream movies can't make it on a top 100 list: I do think for instance Jurassic Park is a top 100 film for sure. 

Well how else would you sort a best films list? Why would I put a film on my best ever films list if I didn't enjoy it?

I can't think of a single film that I thought was "truly fantastic" and simultaneously did not enjoy it. Surely those two things are the opposite of each other...?

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Ranger Tree said:

Well how else would you sort a best films list? Why would I put a film on my best ever films list if I didn't enjoy it?

I can't think of a single film that I thought was "truly fantastic" and simultaneously did not enjoy it. Surely those two things are the opposite of each other...?

The craft, writing, legacy, score? I've thought plenty of films were fantastic that I'd never ever want to revisit because they weren't "fun". After seeing The 400 Blows the first time do you ever think I'll revisit it ever again? Probably not despite owning it on blu-ray. And yet it's a carefully constructed amazing character study of a misunderstood kid. That's why it often gets ranked high in so many lists. It's a very good movie. It's just not a very enjoyable one.

18 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

To be fair, I simply asked people to submit a list of their top 100 movies.  That was up to how each member wanted to interpret it, some people see it as "objectively the best", others might have went for most influential and some may have simply put their favorites.  There's no real right or wrong.

I think there's for sure some films on here that I wouldn't say are simply enjoyable movies.  There's quite a lot of movies that made this list that are rather hard to watch for a variety of different reasons.

Anyways, the list is really just an accumulation of lists to see what the forums combined taste in movies are

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Community Manager
Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

To be fair, I simply asked people to submit a list of their top 100 movies.  That was up to how each member wanted to interpret it, some people see it as "objectively the best", others might have went for most influential and some may have simply put their favorites.  There's no real right or wrong.

I think there's for sure some films on here that I wouldn't say are simply enjoyable movies.  There's quite a lot of movies that made this list that are rather hard to watch for a variety of different reasons.

Anyways, the list is really just an accumulation of lists to see what the forums combined taste in movies are

I've really become the new @Telemachos

gawd

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

All this talk of Mark Ruffalo and nobody mentioned his best movie, You Can Count on Me. Unbelievable!

His best performance no question. He's got legit raw young-Brando magnetism going on in that, which he may have lost forever now that he's all established

9 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Commentary: Damien Chazelle strikes the list again with his debut feature, Whiplash! 

It's not his debut, that's Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench