The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

The next film has a classic score by Ennio Morricone

A Western would be kinda obvious - since hes made so many classic scores for them.

I hope its not The Good, The Bad and The Ugly since that masterpiece deserves to be in the Top 10.

12 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Here are 10 more just misses!

193. The Grapes of Wrath

Not that I expected anything different, but I'm still disappointed with how low this was, especially seeing far inferior films from that era make it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

"Well, wait if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today". 

And some flap jacks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I should ask my teachers to regrade all of my essays based on how much they enjoyed it rather than based on how objectively well it was written.

When I watch a movie, I'll certainly give it a higher grade if I connect to it on some level. But I do pay attention to things like how is a frame shot, what is in the frame, where it is in the frame, the colors, how the sound fits in, how the music comes in, how it goes out, how it's edited, the pacing. Not as much as some people, I think @Jay Hollywood analyzes films a lot more than I do, but still enough that even if I'm not connecting to the material, I can still try to determine how well crafted it is. It's perfectly possible for me to give something an A based on craft alone.

But how do you decide whether a frame shot is good, whether the music or sound design is good, whether the editing, pacing, cinematography, etc etc is good and so? Is there a list of acceptable examples and anything off said list is automatically bad? No, of course not. You think about how each aspect works in regards to their ultimate aim, which is, again, to make the audience enjoy the film, even if not in the traditional sense.

Also, formal essays and movies are very different things in design and goal for a lot of obvious reasons.

• Like 4

Good job team, highest it's ever been.

once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-54c43447565

Number 57

C'era una volta il West (1968)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by Sergio Leone (59 Points, 12 Votes)

Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West-Movie-Spagh

"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? Man can't even trust his own pants."

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (74, +17), 2014 (97, +40), 2013 (92, +35), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won a Golden Screen Award in Germany?

Tomatometer: 98% (9.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: N/A

Synopsis: A mysterious stranger with a harmonica joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad.

Critic Opinion: "The Western may be the only art form entirely specific to a time and place. Though literature of the Old West was born out of lowly dime novels  and pulp magazines, it was cinema that etched its images in our minds. Ten gallon hats and six shooters. Jeans and boots. Saddled horses in the midst of a cattle drive. Tumbleweed rolling through a barren midwestern landscape with roaming settlers searching for their manifest destiny. All of these evoke a world that was first envisioned by film. Movies immortalised the cowboy.  There have been many great Westerns through the years, most of them focusing on legendary characters or the stories which they inhabit. But for one film, these elements do not serve the traditional purpose of advancing a plot or resolving a conflict. They instead serve as a romantic tribute to the archetype of the Old West. Once Upon a Time in the West is the mythic Western; an ode to the end of its era.

With this triumvirate of Jill McBain (Cardinale), Frank (Fonda), and Harmonica (Bronson), Once Upon a Time in the West becomes a model of cinematic iconography; a soulful death knell mourning the end of an era and of a way of life long gone." - Michael Mirasol

User Opinions: "One of the three or four greatest films I've ever seen. First time I watched it, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect (out of eone's films I'd only seen A Fistful of Dollars prior to it) and had a somewhat mixed reaction - the cinematography, the music, _that_ flashback scene, Bronson's coolness, Fonda's evilness, Robards' likability and Cardinale's beauty all instantly knocked me off my seat, but the very deliberate pacing and storytelling had me scratching my head. Still, there was a certain magnetic quality to the film that left me convinced I was going to return to it before long, and sure enough, by the third viewing I admired every single thing in there and wished I could spend as much time as possible in the film's world. A magnificent epic on the passing of the mythic Old West and the archetypes that inhabited it, with some of the finest cinematography and original music of all time." - @Jake Gittes

"An undisputed masterpiece. An elegiac, mythic, operatic ode to the death of the Wild West. Also, the opening scene has got to be one of the greatest movie scenes of all time.

Imo, the finest Western of all time (Once Upon a Time... > The Good, The Bad...), and one of the top 10 films ever made." - @The Stingray

Commentary: Placing at the highest it's ever been, and still far too low, is my third favorite movie of all time and what I'd regard as the greatest Western of all-time, created by the greatest Western filmmaker of all-time.  Sergio Leone both loves the Western genre and understands the flaws of it, and you see it in the way he crafts his films, from an outsider's perspective looking in.  Once Upon a Time in the West is a grand, epic Western that manages to encapsulate everything there is to love about the genre, while also being crafted in a slow, sprawling and delirious fashion.  It's a movie that wasn't received with a bang but has slowly garnered acclaim over time as more and more people get a chance to discover its greatness.  The film may have only appeared on 20% of our members lists, but on average they placed it within their top 25, indicating lots of passion for the movie.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (7), 60s (5), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (14), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (10), Action (8), Fantasy (8), Epic (8), Crime/Noir (7), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), Tragedy (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

OnceUponaTime8.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVE

• Like 22
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The score is pretty close to my favorite of all time, if not favorite then an easy top 5.

The movie itself is just a gorgeous 3 hour beast.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

But how do you decide whether a frame shot is good, whether the music or sound design is good, whether the editing, pacing, cinematography, etc etc is good and so? Is there a list of acceptable examples and anything off said list is automatically bad? No, of course not. You think about how each aspect works in regards to their ultimate aim, which is, again, to make the audience enjoy the film, even if not in the traditional sense.

Also, formal essays and movies are very different things in design and goal for a lot of obvious reasons.

Actually there is a list. Why do you think that comedy with Will Ferrell is a step brother and doesn't get along with the other guy is an objectively bad movie? We see the boom Mike in some of the shots!

I don't think we can agree on this issue at all. You seem think film is entirely subjective with no room for objectivity. I don't agree with that assertion at all. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

The score is pretty close to my favorite of all time, if not favorite then an easy top 5.

The movie itself is just a gorgeous 3 hour beast.

It's fantastic. The movie itself is terrific, with great performances, direction, and cinematography, but the score is especially what makes it work for me. It's so haunting and good.

• Like 2