The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Why should these films have any merit though?  They barely made any money after all.

I did a write up on meritocracy and our ability to understand it outside of a monetary system - I'll try dig it out when I get back from the office (although I warn you I think it's about 14 thousand words). 

The tl:dr is that we can create our own value and ascribe merit to it within certain shared systems (language being one of them), it's really just me ripping off Wittgenstein's Beetle in a Box though and applying it to classical liberalism. 

14 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It's possible to appreciate something without enjoying it, no? To use a more recent film, War of the Planet of the Apes, just like the other recent Apes movies, is a very well done movie that I admired in how well executed it was. It's not really a film I particularly enjoyed though: just like it's two predecessors. 

THIIIIIIS.

I am watching Lawrence of Arabia for the first time -- and Yes.  Yes.  You are completely right.  It is totally possible to appreciate something without enjoying it.  I appreciate the technical difficulty and cinematic achievements of what's going on.  I get why people would lose their minds over it.

Me?  I feel like effing Anakin. It's been two days and I still have an hour to go.

Want a David Lean/Sam Spiegel film?  Go watch Bridge Over The River Kawi.

Want a 1950s-1960s epic?  Go watch Ben-Hur or Spartacus.

Want a movie about a man's singular and obsessive quest in a barren landscape?  Go watch The Searchers.

I also think it's possible to make a list the has both "films you enjoy" and "films you admire".  I made sure to put my John Ford movies AND my shameless 1990s faves on the list.  For me, it was about variety.  I also think that people should judge films based on their genres and intentions, not necessarily toss them all together into a big pot.  The intention of Citizen Kane is very different from the intention of Blazing Saddles; yet, both are a master class of their genre.

That's why I really like this list so far (with the exception of La La Land.  Terrible.  Effing Terrible).  It's a good mix of films.  Like Panda said, it's nice to get a sense of what the board likes.  

• Like 1

I think too that you can appreciate something without enjoying it but then it shouldn't make your personal Top 100 movies of all time because those are supposed to be pieces of work that touched you in a way and you didn't just appreciate that some of the work put on it was high class.

I do not like The LOTR trilogy. I do appreciate that they are excelently made films and Tolkien had a hell of an imagination. It would never make my Top 100 though.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

y'know you have the option to say "hey I already saw Avengers and thought it was quite bad but thanks for the offer anyway"

Going out with friends is preferable to doing nothing, you know.

This just reminds me that friends invited me to see Deadpool tomorrow with them. :stretcher:

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

groundhog-at-drumlin-wildlife-care-1000_

Number 58

Groundhog Day (1993)

Columbia Pictures, Directed by Harold Ramis (58 Points, 18 Votes)

abedd4098bf6912b102f2c221b9bb21d.jpg

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (33, -25), 2014 (48, -10), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 1 BAFTA Award

Tomatometer: 96% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 70.9m (156.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A weatherman finds himself inexplicably living the same day over and over again.

Critic Opinion: "By evening, at the big shindig, we discover that Phil has used his infinite knowledge of how and why things work to make people’s lives better, whether he’s improving the quality of life of a dying man or buying Wrestlemania tickets for newlyweds—remember Fred and Debbie?  Finally, Phil discovers the virtue in re-living same day is not that it is the same day.  It could be a different day, but to treat each day as though time were no object, one pursues goals that have no immediate payoff.  Time is the most valuable commodity we have, and happiness the most prized outcome when time is invested wisely.  Phil’s profound triumph isn’t that he’s learned to see the angel in Rita.  It’s that he’s learned to see the past, present, and future in each of us and, most crucially, in himself." - Rubin Safaya

User Opinions: "It's a Bill Murray classic.

it's a comedy classic.

I love this film." - @Captain Craig

"Such a classic. Bill Murray's best performance till he was a zombie ;) Anyway, really funny.ASuch a classic. Bill Murray's best performance till he was a zombie ;) Anyway, really funny.AHey wait...didn't I just say that? :P" - @Impact

Commentary: Bill Murray's rather famous for a lot of his comedic roles, but none come more immediately mind than the his role in Groundhog Day.  Groundhog Day is a film of repetition, as Murray continually re-lives through the same day over and over again until he can finally learn his lesson.  It's a hilarious, tight movie that manages to have some emotional kick and subtext in it as well about how to appreciate our time.  The film got quite a bit of love from our members, as it appeared on 30% of the lists submitted with an average score of 3.2 per user.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (7), 60s (4), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (14), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (9), Action (8), Fantasy (8), Crime/Noir (7), Epic (7), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

billmurrayphilgroundhogday.jpg?itok=wu_h

• Like 20
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

groundhog-at-drumlin-wildlife-care-1000_

Number 58

Groundhog Day (1993)

Columbia Pictures, Directed by Harold Ramis (58 Points, 18 Votes)

abedd4098bf6912b102f2c221b9bb21d.jpg

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (33, -25), 2014 (48, -10), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 1 BAFTA Award

Tomatometer: 96% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 70.9m (156.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A weatherman finds himself inexplicably living the same day over and over again.

Critic Opinion: "By evening, at the big shindig, we discover that Phil has used his infinite knowledge of how and why things work to make people’s lives better, whether he’s improving the quality of life of a dying man or buying Wrestlemania tickets for newlyweds—remember Fred and Debbie?  Finally, Phil discovers the virtue in re-living same day is not that it is the same day.  It could be a different day, but to treat each day as though time were no object, one pursues goals that have no immediate payoff.  Time is the most valuable commodity we have, and happiness the most prized outcome when time is invested wisely.  Phil’s profound triumph isn’t that he’s learned to see the angel in Rita.  It’s that he’s learned to see the past, present, and future in each of us and, most crucially, in himself." - Rubin Safaya

User Opinions: "It's a Bill Murray classic.

it's a comedy classic.

I love this film." - @Captain Craig

"Such a classic. Bill Murray's best performance till he was a zombie ;) Anyway, really funny.ASuch a classic. Bill Murray's best performance till he was a zombie ;) Anyway, really funny.AHey wait...didn't I just say that? :P" - @Impact

Commentary: Bill Murray's rather famous for a lot of his comedic roles, but none come more immediately mind than the his role in Groundhog Day.  Groundhog Day is a film of repetition, as Murray continually re-lives through the same day over and over again until he can finally learn his lesson.  It's a hilarious, tight movie that manages to have some emotional kick and subtext in it as well about how to appreciate our time.  The film got quite a bit of love from our members, as it appeared on 30% of the lists submitted with an average score of 3.2 per user.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (7), 60s (4), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (14), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (9), Action (8), Fantasy (8), Crime/Noir (7), Epic (7), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

billmurrayphilgroundhogday.jpg?itok=wu_h

YEAH - one of my comedies makes the list!:)  

• Like 2

• Community Manager
38 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

But how exactly do you measure the quality of the craft, writing, legacy, score, etc, except by how you personally felt about it and by extension how much you enjoyed it? Also, a movie doesn't have to be 'fun' for you to enjoy it. A movie that delivers a powerful emotional experience, that challenges your ideals, that shakes your worldview, can equally be considered as 'enjoyable', even if it doesn't make you feel pleasant and it's not necessarily something you might want to rewatch.

I should ask my teachers to regrade all of my essays based on how much they enjoyed it rather than based on how objectively well it was written.

When I watch a movie, I'll certainly give it a higher grade if I connect to it on some level. But I do pay attention to things like how is a frame shot, what is in the frame, where it is in the frame, the colors, how the sound fits in, how the music comes in, how it goes out, how it's edited, the pacing. Not as much as some people, I think @Jay Hollywood analyzes films a lot more than I do, but still enough that even if I'm not connecting to the material, I can still try to determine how well crafted it is. It's perfectly possible for me to give something an A based on craft alone.

• Like 2

I can’t make the distinction between appreciation and enjoyment myself. Movies are as good as they are watchable, independently of tone or how heavy or brilliantly executed they are.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 3

2001 isn’t my favorite Kubrick film but I really appreciate it for managing to tell a story visually with minimal dialogue. It’s probably the king of films that have done that. That and it’s absolutely beautiful.

I do want to rewatch it over the summer. Been a while since I last saw it.