The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Time to out me. I dont like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I found it to be pretty dull and...boring, despite the important and very interesting themes of the movie. Jack Nicholson is great as always but...ah it just didnt click with me :(

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest had a huge impact on how people thought about how we treat mentally ill individuals.

Add to the fact it is a great film, it is also one of the most important films on the list so far. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Speaking of old movies and Hitchcock, one of the worst movie experiences I had was watching Rebecca (1940).

I know I will probably get hate but I had read the book and knew everything by the plot, which was by the way excellent, and what was left was an incredibly long torture...

It seems odd to me looking back cause I am a big fan of Hitchcock. Don't know why I have such a bad memory from it..

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Sad 1

Cuckoo's Nest had a big impact on me in my early teens but it went down a little in my eyes after I read the novel and honestly retroactively the treatment of Ratched as a two-dimensional hiss-worthy villain doesn't sit entirely right with me as good as Fletcher is in the role. Like Brainbug I need to see it again but I'm afraid I'll think even less of it when I do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baumer said:

The first time I saw Apocalypse Now as a teenager I did not get the praise for it. Then I saw it again in my twenties and it all clicked. Apocalypse Now is a crazy Zanies unbelievable yet fairly realistic View of one man going completely insane and bringing others along the ride with him. It's undoubtedly in my opinion one of the best films ever made.

This is definitely me. I really liked the film but didn't care for the third act all that much. I'm sure if I watch it again, it'll probably be much better.

• Like 1

Oh, hey. I was gonna make a joke about wanting to be smothered because of how boring Cuckoo Nest is. But that isn't true. It's an enthralling film that Nicholson sells the hell out of the role. Though I did forget to add this to my list.

Fun fact, when I watched Apocalypse Now I didn't know the normal version didn't have a boring french family scene near the end.

I really liked it, but the redux version was a little too long, should watch the the theatric cut someday.

Apocalypse Now was supposedly an anti-war film but the Valkyrie-Wagner assault is so fucking bad ass and such a bro-fist fuck yeah moment with the "I love napalm in the morning" quote and the amazing action set piece, it made thousands of young american men wanting to go to war.

Oh the irony Francis.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Rocky_banner.jpg

Number 54

Rocky (1976)

United Artists, Directed by John Avildsen (59 Points, 15 Votes)

rocky__1976__inspired_poster_by_le0arts-

"You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!"

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (69, +15), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (88, +34)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 93% (8.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 117.2m (504.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A small-time boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight a heavy-weight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

Critic Opinion: "When he finds the opportunity to show that he can rise above the slums and live a life of relevance, it becomes the central focus of the story offering some of the most grueling and compelling moments of obstacles and hardship. “Rocky” builds up to a wonderful action packed climax that’s still among the best sports cinema has to offer, and as a break out film and an ode to the under dog, “Rocky” is still the best ever created. A crowning achievement in Sylvester Stallone’s career as a writer and a performer, “Rocky” is a marvel of dramatic cinema with compelling themes of love and hardship along with a riveting romance. It’s the classic tale of the under dog proving he’s worth a damn in the eyes of the world and himself and an unparalleled cinematic masterpiece." - Felix Vasquez Jr

User Opinion: "Fantastic movie. A true classic. Stallone is so great in this." - @Empire

"This thing is fucking perfect." - @darkelf

Commentary: The first Sports film to make our list is the all-time classic Rocky.  Surprisingly enough, this film only really started doing really well on these lists after the release of Creed (well it did make it in 2012 as well), indicating that Creed may have definitely revitalized some of the interest in this movie.  This is usually regarded as Stallone's most iconic role, as well as the best he's been able to put to screen as an actor.  It's hard to talk to much about the movie, because it really is simply iconic, it's a classic underdog story yet it's still treated with humanity and some sense of realism that the franchise and genre simply haven't been able to top since.  

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (40), 80%-90% (6)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (1), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (16)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1)

Genre Count: Drama (17), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (10), Action (9), Fantasy (8), Epic (8), Crime/Noir (7), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Novel Adaption (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), War (4), Tragedy (4), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1), Sports (1)

wpid-rocky-movie.jpg

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Rocky_banner.jpg

Number 54

Rocky (1976)

United Artists, Directed by John Avildsen (59 Points, 15 Votes)

rocky__1976__inspired_poster_by_le0arts-

"You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!"

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (69, +15), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (88, +34)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 93% (8.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 117.2m (504.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A small-time boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight a heavy-weight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

Critic Opinion: "When he finds the opportunity to show that he can rise above the slums and live a life of relevance, it becomes the central focus of the story offering some of the most grueling and compelling moments of obstacles and hardship. “Rocky” builds up to a wonderful action packed climax that’s still among the best sports cinema has to offer, and as a break out film and an ode to the under dog, “Rocky” is still the best ever created. A crowning achievement in Sylvester Stallone’s career as a writer and a performer, “Rocky” is a marvel of dramatic cinema with compelling themes of love and hardship along with a riveting romance. It’s the classic tale of the under dog proving he’s worth a damn in the eyes of the world and himself and an unparalleled cinematic masterpiece." - Felix Vasquez Jr

User Opinion: "Fantastic movie. A true classic. Stallone is so great in this." - @Empire

"This thing is fucking perfect." - @darkelf

Commentary: The first Sports film to make our list is the all-time classic Rocky.  Surprisingly enough, this film only really started doing really well on these lists after the release of Creed (well it did make it in 2012 as well), indicating that Creed may have definitely revitalized some of the interest in this movie.  This is usually regarded as Stallone's most iconic role, as well as the best he's been able to put to screen as an actor.  It's hard to talk to much about the movie, because it really is simply iconic, it's a classic underdog story yet it's still treated with humanity and some sense of realism that the franchise and genre simply haven't been able to top since.  

Decade Count: 10s (11), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (40), 80%-90% (6)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (1), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (16)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1)

Genre Count: Drama (17), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (10), Action (9), Fantasy (8), Epic (8), Crime/Noir (7), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Novel Adaption (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), War (4), Tragedy (4), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1), Sports (1)

wpid-rocky-movie.jpg

Good job BOT...should have been higher (we'll work on that for next time), but I'll take it:)...

I saw Rocky for the first time recently. It's OK, but nowhere near my top 100. Also, this isn't an important factor in my top ranking, but this film does have a pretty rapy scene.

3 minutes ago, Tower said:

I saw Rocky for the first time recently. It's OK, but nowhere near my top 100. Also, this isn't an important factor in my top ranking, but this film does have a pretty rapy scene.

Booooo!