The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I was very surprised when I saw Rocky last year for the first time and actually liked it a lot. Seemed like a movie custom made to bore me.

Also, shout-out to Rocky V being quite decent, and the second best Rocky.

Edited by Goffe
Had to add a hot take at the end, sorry.
  • ...wtf 1

The-usual-suspects-the-usual-suspects-29

Number 53

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Gramercy Pictures, Directed by Bryan Singer (59 Points, 18 Votes)

The-usual-suspects-poster-the-usual-susp

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (56, +3), 2014 (24, -19), 2013 (85, +32), 2012 (91, +38)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 88% (7.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 23.3m (49.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A sole survivor tells of the twisty events leading up to a horrific gun battle on a boat, which began when five criminals met at a seemingly random police lineup.

Critic Opinion: "Good thrillers engross us, but great mysteries also play a game: planting clues and red herrings, leading us up blind alleys and, finally, pulling that last-minute, double-reverse twist. That's what "The Usual Suspects" does. This is one of the few movies around that many in the audience may plan on seeing twice: the first time to enjoy the ride, the second to figure out how they were tricked. Either time out, they won't be disappointed." - Michael Wilmington

User Opinions: "Best... ending.... ever....period..." - @fmpro

"This is also one of my favorite movies. I really never saw that ending coming until pretty much when it was revealed. That pretty much never happens to me so I was completely shocked. I liked everyone in it." - @75Live

Commentary: I'll have to admit, this is one that I was never the biggest fan of, and the recent allegations against both Spacey and Singer didn't do this film any favors for me.  However, there's a good portion of people who really do love this movie, and it has quite a bit of merit to it, from a tight and well-written screenplay, to a strong ensemble from the cast.  The Usual Suspects takes a more typical approach to a crime thriller and slowly layers in multiple twists and turns to make the whole thing exciting and new for the audiences watching the movie.  The film appeared on 30% of the lists that were submitted and it averaged a score of 3.3 from those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (8), 80s (7), '00s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (40), 80%-90% (7)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (1), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (17)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1)

Genre Count: Drama (17), Thriller (13), Sci-Fi (12), VFX Driven (10), Adventure (10), Action (9), Fantasy (8), Epic (8), Crime/Noir (8), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Novel Adaption (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), War (4), Tragedy (4), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1), Sports (1)

via-coiasira-arwen.png

• Like 19
  • Disbelief 1

Two more movies tonight, one is foreign language and the other features Mark Ruffalo!  The two movies couldn't be more different!  Or are they actually similar?  Cryptic!

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Tower said:

I saw Rocky for the first time recently. It's OK, but nowhere near my top 100. Also, this isn't an important factor in my top ranking, but this film does have a pretty rapy scene.

There is no rapey scene in that film.  He brings her out of her shell.  She's shy and maybe has never been with a man before.  He says to her that he is going to kiss her and she doesn't have to kiss him back.  But she does kiss him back.  It's actually a beautiful scene and it marks the beginning of her awakening.

• Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcABUBYIacIJbWddCwQlq

Number 52

Shichinin no Samurai (1954)

Columbia Pictures, Directed by Akira Kurosawa (60 Points, 13 Votes)

seven_samurai_poster_by_shan_01-d3cqnd2.

"This is the nature of war: By protecting others, you save yourselves. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself."

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 7

Previous Rankings: 2016 (43, -9), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 100% (9.3 Avg Ratings)

Box Office: 271k

Synopsis: A poor village under attack by bandits recruits seven unemployed samurai to help them defend themselves.

Critic Opinion: "Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" (1954) is not only a great film in its own right, but the source of a genre that would flow through the rest of the century. The critic Michael Jeck suggests that this was the first film in which a team is assembled to carry out a mission--an idea which gave birth to its direct Hollywood remake, "The Magnificent Seven," as well as "The Guns of Navarone," "The Dirty Dozen" and countless later war, heist and caper movies. Since Kurosawa's samurai adventure "Yojimbo" (1960) was remade as "A Fistful of Dollars" and essentially created the spaghetti Western, and since this movie and Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" inspired George Lucas' "Star Wars" series, it could be argued that this greatest of filmmakers gave employment to action heroes for the next 50 years, just as a fallout from his primary purpose." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "I finally got to see this at a summer movie festival at a theater last year and loved it.  Saw The Magnificent Seven the following week and was surprised to find I much prefer the original.  Better character development and defense tactics setup." - @BiffMan

"One of my all-time favorites. It's very long but for the most part doesn't feel that slow. It's got great iconic characters and has been ridiculously influential on the action/adventure genre. Often imitated, homaged, ripped off, and paid tribute to, but never equalled." - @Telemachos

Commentary: Seven Samurai is a movie that started it all, so to speak, in that so many of our classic adventure and war archetypes are based off of what Kurosawa was able to achieve in this film.  Kurosawa, as mentioned in the Ebert quote, had many other influential movies beyond this one, but I reckon this tends to take the cake as the most well-recognized of them all.  It's a film that trods along, with brilliant action sequences, as you see each of the Samurai die one by one in order to fight for their homeland.  It's the essential epic tragedy story that you'd expect out of any Hollywood film attempting to follow such an archetype.  This movie received quite a bit of love, as it had a high average score of 4.6 despite only appearing on around 21% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (8), 80s (7), '00s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (3), 40s (2)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (41), 80%-90% (8)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (1), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (17)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1)

Genre Count: Drama (17), Thriller (13), Sci-Fi (12), Adventure (11), VFX Driven (10), Action (10), Epic (9), Fantasy (8), Crime/Noir (8), Comedy (7), Romance (6), Novel Adaption (6), Family/Children (5), Period Piece (5), War (5), Tragedy (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Foreign Language (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1), Sports (1)

726a231a-03f1-417a-acb2-e1d19c27bf96.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Rocky is certainly one of my favourite movies and Rocky is my second favourite movie character of all time (Indy).  Stallone should have won best actor and he should have won best original screenplay.

As for The Usual Suspects, it's a movie I could watch every night and never get bored of.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank you @Critically Acclaimed Panda for doing this.  I know how much work it is putting one of these things on and you do it so effortlessly.  Your write ups are terrific and this is something I look forward to every day now.  Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Finally, a foreign film! lmao

(As of right now) there are more foreign films than comic book films!

Will that change? 

The hyped up Mark Ruffalo film is up next! (for real this time)

• Like 2

Seven Samurai is Kurosawa's best. It's brilliant, and for a three hour long plus film, it never lost my interest. The action sequences and characters are engaging and great. Incredibly pleased it made it this high. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

(As of right now) there are more foreign films than comic book films!

Will that change? 

The hyped up Mark Ruffalo film is up next! (for real this time)

You've been fucking with us a lot over the course of the countdown.

If you're lying to us this time, just remember:

CYrqi-bUwAEuLX4.png

• Haha 1

I would simply like to point out that from #96 to 52, there wasn't a single foreign film in the list! Once Upon a Time in the West doesn't count, it was filmed in English.

Insane!

Personally I have 20 foreign films on my top 100, a number I wish to increase in the coming year.

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

I would simply like to point out that from #96 to 52, there wasn't a single foreign film in the list! Once Upon a Time in the West doesn't count, it was filmed in English.

Insane!

Personally I have 20 foreign films on my top 100, a number I wish to increase in the coming year.

tPvbV4OfLbgcERXPv722tqo9FVQYUwAewJeWW2Eo

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1