The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

58 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Because of Jessica Chastain, I can't watch Raimi s Spidermans anymore ... too evil for me.

Are you talking about Gwen Stefani ?

Do you mistake them on purpose ? Cause I certainly did

:Venom:

1 hour ago, Thematrixfilm said:

sad to see The Prestige so low...  I do not think Dunkirk would rank much higher because I would assume that The Prestige made about the same amount of lists (or more).

176. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

177. Network

178. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

179. Pinocchio

180. Spider-Man

181. The Prestige

182. How to Train Your Dragon

183. The Life of Brian

184. Gone With the Wind

185. Cinema Paradiso

dead2.gif

Murdered by cinematic heathens

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

vertigo-541adfe81392f.jpg

Number 50

Vertigo (1958)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock (61 Points, 15 Votes)

a5d5e7f4cda6c773b57c0c1ed41601f5.png

"Here I was born, and there I died. It was only a moment for you; you took no notice."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Previous Rankings: 2016 (61, +11), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (79, +29)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 95% (8.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 7.3m

Synopsis: A San Francisco detective suffering from acrophobia investigates the strange activities of an old friend's wife, all the while becoming dangerously obsessed with her.

Critic Opinion: "Alfred Hitchcock’s audaciously intricate melodrama, from 1958, concerns an acrophobic detective (James Stewart) who spurns the attentions of a fashion illustrator (Barbara Bel Geddes) to pursue his frustrated passion for a chilly, suicidal platinum-blond woman of mystery (Kim Novak). It’s as much a wonder of suspense as it is a catalogue of the director’s themes and an allegory for his own art of enticement—and for the erotic pitfalls of his métier. Novak’s famous transformations, Stewart’s haunted fabrications, and Bel Geddes’s unrequited longing are all tethered to the whim of another master plotter, the detective’s long-lost friend (Tom Helmore), whose marital suspicions are the MacGuffin with which Hitchcock unfurls his own obsessions: the tragic difference between friendship and love, the seductive power of style and disguise, the proximity of lust and madness, and the inseparability of sex from suspense, danger, and death. (The story is, among other things, a template for how Hitchcock makes a borrowed story his own.) The irrepressible allure of Hitchcock’s visual extravagance—his baroque swirl of caustic greens, voluptuous purples, acidic yellows, and fiery reds, and the indecent glare of daylight—conjures a torrent of unconscious desires beyond the realm of dramatic machinations; his happy ending, of health restored and crime punished, resembles an aridly monastic renunciation."  - Richard Brody

User Opinion: "Quintessential HItch. One the better endings in any film." - @JohnnyGossamer

"masterpiece" - @firedeep

Commentary: Hitchcock becomes the first director on our list to make a third appearance with his masterpiece, Vertigo.  Vertigo manages to blend the thriller genre with a more melodramatic and romantic one, finding a balance at exploring the more mournful and obsessive aspects of human relationships while still being packed with the entertaining thrills that Hitchcock is so well known for.  Vertigo may not be Hitchcock's most accessible film to new audiences, but those who like it really seem to find it to be one of the best films Hitchcock ever put to screen.  The film managed to be on around 25% of the lists that were submitted and it had an average score of 4 from the users who had it on their lists, indicating a mean placement of 35 from those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (8), '00s (8), 80s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (43), 80%-90% (8)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (1), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (14), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (11), VFX Driven (10), Action (10), Epic (9), Fantasy (8), Crime/Noir (8), Comedy (8), Romance (8), Novel Adaption (7), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), Family/Children (5), War (5), Tragedy (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Musical (4), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 15

wizardofoz-portal-banner.jpg

Number 49

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Warner Brothers, Directed by King Vidor and Victor Fleming (62 Points, 17 Votes)

wizard_of_oz_alexhess-1-250x375.jpg

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 7

Previous Rankings: 2016 (51, +2), 2015 (54, +5), 2013 (63, +14), 2012 (39, -10)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 99% (9.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 22.3m (Adjusts somewhere around 900m or so I believe)

Synopsis: Dorothy Gale is swept away from a farm in Kansas to a magical land of Oz in a tornado and embarks on a quest with her new friends to see the Wizard who can help her return home in Kansas and help her friends as well.

Critic Opinion: "The special edition of The Wizard of Oz (same film, fantastic new print and sound) offers the rare opportunity to see the movie on a big screen, and for that reason alone I urge you to go. But it also offers a chance, yet again, to see why The Wizard of Oz remains the weirdest, scariest, kookiest, most haunting and indelible kid-flick-that’s-really-for-adults ever made in Hollywood.

What’s singular about Margaret Hamilton’s performance is that with her thick pointy eyebrows and fearsome chin, her terrifying Drano rasp of homicidal aggression, she expresses a male vision of ultimate violence bursting through the glass ceiling of ”feminine” rage. The Wizard of Oz is our most indelible fairy tale because it prophesies, with mythic surrealism, a society in which the patriarchal brain (i.e., the Wizard) is about to be torn down, in which women (i.e., the Witch) have matched the male will to destruction and power, but where there also appears a benevolent new breed of valiant softy-man (i.e., the Scarecrow et al.), who can make the world safe again. In 1939, this was but a dream somewhere over the rainbow of tomorrow." - Owen Gleiberman

User Opinion: "I watched The Wizard of Oz once again last night, and I have to say its one of those movies where you totally understand why it has reached the iconic status it has. The whole movie is just pleasure from start to finish, leaving no dead scenes or awkward, useless moments. Its the real deal. As far as kids movies go it doesn't get much better than The Wizard of Oz: there are likable characters, colorful, detailed environments, fun songs that stay in your head, scary bits and menacing villains and there's always something going on. I bet even the most ADD kid wouldn't be bored watching Oz. 

The effect Wizard of Oz has had on popular culture can't probably be measured. Every scene in the movie has been referenced at least once in some tv show, movie, podcast or cartoon. All the characters have become iconic images of cinematic history, and the songs still hold up and are well remembered by everyone who has seen the film.

Wizard of Oz is actually a movie I'd consider perfect. I cant find a single flaw in it." - @Jack Nevada

"A classic. The witch scared me when I was little." - @CaptainJackSparrow

Commentary: You definitely know you have an oddity when there's old classic film that Baumer finds to be an all-time classic and Tele is meh on.  Everyone knows The Wizard of Oz, and almost everyone had some exposure to it as a child, at least if you lived within the U.S..  Baum's novel is filled with political allegory, and while some of it gets lost in this magical adaption, there's still quite a bit of that Gilded Age critique present within the film.  Beyond that, you have the iconic music, one-liners that have been referenced from modern blockbuster hits like The Avengers or Avatar, and an adventure mold that really set the standard for so many other fantasy journeys to come.  The Wizard of Oz is a colorful journey that has cemented its place in pop culture as an all-time, iconic classic not to be forgotten.  The film was on 28% of the lists submitted and had an average scoring of 3.6 from those lists.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (8), '00s (8), 80s (7), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (44), 80%-90% (8)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (12), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Stanley Kubrick (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (14), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (12), VFX Driven (11), Action (10), Epic (9), Fantasy (9), Comedy (9), Crime/Noir (8), Romance (8), Novel Adaption (8), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), Family/Children (6), War (5), Tragedy (5), Musical (5), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

Wizard-main.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 15
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Not when its ranked behind The Phantom Menace.

:apocalypse:

You can thank the James Cameron scholar for that.

Nice work on Vertigo everyone, didn't think it'd be above Rear Window but it deserves it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You can thank the James Cameron scholar for that.

Nice work on Vertigo everyone, didn't think it'd be above Rear Window but it deserves it

Actually, like Attack of the Clones, there were a few members who genuinely had TPM in their top 5.

• Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Only 2? :apocalypse:

Unless Panda's made a mistake, apparently. I had Vertigo in my top five as well.

It's one of my absolute favorite films. It's a perfectly constructed psychological thriller, and super-engaging. One of those films that I've seen again and again, and it never gets old for me. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Over the Rainbow = automatic waterworks and it's amazingly surreal for a kids' film at times (I wish today's PG fantasy movies would remember what that's like) but I've never been too crazy about The Wizard of Oz otherwise. Maybe partly because I didn't see it until I was 19. 

• Like 3