The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I didn't have Vertigo on my list. Nor did I have Psycho. And truth be told, If I re-did my list, I probably would include both of them, but I was too afraid of essentially submitting Hitchcock's filmography, even probably Marnie, which turns in one of Connery's best performances I've seen in film, outside his "I don't care" attitude in Highlander. I just remember watching Vertigo when I was younger, and being in udder shock at Jimmy Stewert. I had only seen the actor in his 40's movies, like Wonderful Life, Harvey, Mr. Smith. And here he was so drastically different. It was only later that I watched Rear Window and Rope. and I admit for having a soft spot for Man who Shot Liberty Vallance.

I said earlier Wonderful life is a great showcase of Stewart's acting, in his complete breakdown leading up to his attempted suicide. Vertigo is a another perfect showcase of a man who is completely going insane. If I had any complaint on Vertigo it would be that ending, and I mean that last minute up in the bell tower. Something doesn't click with me, which will always make it lesser than Rear Window.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

I didn't have Vertigo on my list. Nor did I have Psycho. And truth be told, If I re-did my list, I probably would include both of them, but I was too afraid of essentially submitting Hitchcock's filmography, even probably Marnie, which turns in one of Connery's best performances I've seen in film, outside his "I don't care" attitude in Highlander. I just remember watching Vertigo when I was younger, and being in udder shock at Jimmy Stewert. I had only seen the actor in his 40's movies, like Wonderful Life, Harvey, Mr. Smith. And here he was so drastically different. It was only later that I watched Rear Window and Rope. and I admit for having a soft spot for Man who Shot Liberty Vallance.

I said earlier Wonderful life is a great showcase of Stewart's acting, in his complete breakdown leading up to his attempted suicide. Vertigo is a another perfect showcase of a man who is completely going insane. If I had any complaint on Vertigo it would be that ending, and I mean that last minute up in the bell tower. Something doesn't click with me, which will always make it lesser than Rear Window.

Regarding Stewart, I highly recommend checking out with collaborations with Anthony Mann, if you wanna see more of his "darker side". In particular The Naked Spur probably features the most unsympathetic role he's ever played, as a ruthless bounty hunter. It's a pretty terrific western too. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Regarding Stewart, I highly recommend checking out with collaborations with Anthony Mann, if you wanna see more of his "darker side". In particular The Naked Spur probably features the most unsympathetic role he's ever played, as a ruthless bounty hunter. It's a pretty terrific western too. 

It's on my list. I'm just not a super fan of old westerns. Though I did see Anatomy of a Murder a year or so ago, and that was a pretty good scummy Jimmy Stewart.

It should be noted, my general love of Stewart almost got Fievel Goes West included on my list.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Haha 1

the-shining-f-in-scary-banner.jpg?w=1000

Number 48

The Shining (1980)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Stanley Kubrick (63 Points, 15 Votes)

0*cZseuW_BOAbjj9ii.jpg

"Heeeeeeere's Johhny!"

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (89, +41), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (46, -3), 2012 (70, +22)

Awards Count: Some Razzie Nominations

Tomatometer: 86% (8.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 44m (149.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.

Critic Opinion: "All of Stanley Kubrick’s films – be it ‘The Killing’ or ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ – demand to be seen on a big screen. They’re about people trapped in huge, indifferent machines gone wrong, from a heist plot to a spaceship, and only the huge indifference of the cinema does them justice. In ‘The Shining’, the machine is a haunted house: the Overlook Hotel, created by Stephen King and turned by Kubrick into an awry environment in which mental stability, supernatural malignance and the sense of space and time shimmer and warp to terrible effect.

The story sees Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) drag his wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) and psychic son Danny (Danny Lloyd) up a mountain to be the hotel’s winter caretaker. Things go badly. This is the original 1980 US version, 24 minutes longer than the one familiar to UK audiences. On the upside, it fleshes out the family’s city life and includes an intriguing TV-watching motif; on the downside, there are some daft scare shots and it didn’t ever exactly feel short at two hours. Still, a masterpiece." - Ben Walters

User Opinions: "A masterclass. The camerawork and soundtrack are incredible. You could take a still from any point in this movie and frame it - it is astonishingly beautiful. There really is nothing else like this film out there - it truly stands alone." - @solaris

"Another Kubrick masterpiece. " - @Ozymandias

Commentary: Kubrick makes another appearance on our lists with one of his most controversial films, The Shining.  The Shining was not originally received with critical acclaim, in fact it actually received some Razzie nominations.  It has since then, however, garnered a large following and re-visiting and most now would likely regard this film as a classic.  A classic that was originally rather overlooked, nonetheless.  The film is filled with elements of horror that modern horror films have copied now for decades, and few have been able to accomplish it as effectively as The Shining does.  The film appeared on around 25% of the lists submitted, and was ranked rather highly as the average user who voted for it gave it a 4.2 score, indicating they placed it just above their 35 mark.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (8), '00s (8), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (44), 80%-90% (9)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (3), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (13), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (14), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (12), VFX Driven (11), Action (10), Fantasy (9), Epic (9), Comedy (9), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (8), Romance (8), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), Family/Children (6), War (5), Tragedy (5), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Horror (5), Sequel (4), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

03525708e9468ed317c1a91dba3292e3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

the-shining-f-in-scary-banner.jpg?w=1000

Number 48

The Shining (1980)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Stanley Kubrick (63 Points, 15 Votes)

Awards Count: Some Razzie Nominations

JHgLupK.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

JHgLupK.gif

Stanley Kubrick was in fact nominated for Worst Director at the Razzies because of the Shining.  It's one of their biggest WTF noms looking back in retrospect.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Stanley Kubrick was in fact nominated for Worst Director at the Razzies because of the Shining.  It's one of their biggest WTF noms looking back in retrospect.

q3iCWqE.jpg

• Like 3

Aw, damn it.  I think I screwed the pooch on Vertigo, guys.  Sorry.  I didn't think you'd go for it! So I had it lower on the list than its rightful place at #10.

Vertigo is a multi-fascinated masterpiece that works both as a story and as an autobiographical musing on Hitchcock's own works.  Alfred Hitchcock had an infamous obsession with blondes: Grace Kelly, Janet Leigh, Eva Marie Saint.  He is Scottie.  Hitchcock wanted Vera Miles for the role and couldn't get her.  Novak, like Judy, was his replacement.  He never let her forget it on set.  Just as you watch Scottie transform Judy, Hitchcock transformed Novak in his perfect woman.  Through Scottie, Hitchcock works through all his paranoias, depressions, and genius.

We had the pleasure of catching this on the big screen when TCM Presents showed it last month.  The Third Act is WILD.  A must see.  Great film, just a great, great, great film.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Same with Shelley Duvall's worst actress nom. I mean the more I watch the movie the more I marvel at how great she is.

• Like 4

Know how I was like, I reserve my right to lost my shit over 2001?  Cause I was waiting for The Shinning.  If you'd put 2001 over The Shinning, I would've been so:

:whosad: