The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

The Shining is pretty much Perfect movie. And it was definitely panned when it first came out. In fact 1980 wasn't a great year for critics as they pannned shining and Empire Strikes Back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Shining is pretty much Perfect movie. And it was definitely panned when it first came out. In fact 1980 wasn't a great year for critics as they pannned shining and Empire Strikes Back.

2018 is looking to be a bad year for critics too, after they ‘panned’ Solo!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Time has been kind to it. It's a perfect horror film, and everytime I watch it, it still freaks me out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

I didn't have Vertigo on my list. Nor did I have Psycho. And truth be told, If I re-did my list, I probably would include both of them, but I was too afraid of essentially submitting Hitchcock's filmography, even probably Marnie, which turns in one of Connery's best performances I've seen in film, outside his "I don't care" attitude in Highlander. I just remember watching Vertigo when I was younger, and being in udder shock at Jimmy Stewert. I had only seen the actor in his 40's movies, like Wonderful Life, Harvey, Mr. Smith. And here he was so drastically different. It was only later that I watched Rear Window and Rope. and I admit for having a soft spot for Man who Shot Liberty Vallance.

I said earlier Wonderful life is a great showcase of Stewart's acting, in his complete breakdown leading up to his attempted suicide. Vertigo is a another perfect showcase of a man who is completely going insane. If I had any complaint on Vertigo it would be that ending, and I mean that last minute up in the bell tower. Something doesn't click with me, which will always make it lesser than Rear Window.

I may be in alone in this, but Rope is in my top 20.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I may be in alone in this, but Rope is in my top 20.

My biggest problem with Rope, is that Hitchcock's commitment to the gimmick hinders it in places, some of the staging is a bit too forced. If I ever wanted a remake of one of his films, it would be Rope, if just because advancement in technology.

• Like 1

toy-story-2-5275e2641cd88.jpg

Number 47

Toy Story 2 (1999)

Pixar, Directed by Ash Brannon, John Lasseter and Lee Unkrich (63 Points, 19 Votes)

7e84d2b0a8f578f08e49687dd04c4e70.jpg

"You never forget kids like Emily, or Andy, but they forget you."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (42, -5), 2014 (30, -17), 2013 (71, +24), 2012 (73, +26)

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 100% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 245.9m (438.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

Critic Opinion: ""Toy Story 2" dares to make fun of toys, the very objects it celebrates. One of the most clever scenes takes place in a toy emporium where even as self-assured a guy as Buzz Lightyear gets lost among the endless replications of himself on the shelf. He feels as confused and overwhelmed as most consumers do, trying heroically to face the onslaught of holiday plastic in toy barns across the land.  Reflections on popular culture are laced brilliantly throughout this film. Even as it delves into the '50s beginnings of Woody, as a character created for a rickety, Golden Age of television puppet show, it rings co gently with a '90s sensibility. That's a neat trick that will keep kids glued to the fast- paced story and older viewers feeling as if somebody had rummaged through their old bedrooms to come up the scuffed remnants of their youth.

"Toy Story 2" shines with characters that are vital, vulnerable and lovable. And even though computer animation may seem like the coldest, least organic art form, the characters pulse with more humanity than most live actors can muster in a dozen mainstream movies. Skin texture, gestures, glances -- the Pixar folks flesh them out with extraordinary realism but never break the hyperrealism of the animated world." - Peter Stack

User Opinions: "Fuck you, Pixar." - @Ranger Tree (I believe this was in a positive way)

"I love it the same as everyone else.

I think this was the movie where Pixar finally found their visual identity. The first TS and A Bug's Life are marked by a bunch of visual inconsistencies in retrospect, whereas this movie remains pretty fluid throughout. Pretty amazing that they did this all in a year." - @tribefan695

Commentary: The Toy Story Trilogy is often seen as a pinnacle achievement from Pixar, however Toy Story 2 can often be left out of conversations when everyone's discussing the Toy Story 4 cash grab, Toy Story 3's ending and the original's historical relevance for kicking off the CGI animation genre.  Toy Story 2 may actually be the most consistent and well-crafted of the trilogy, as the entire film is a focused sequel that manages to really expand the things the first film did right.  It also features some emotional beats as painful as the notorious ending to Toy Story 3.  Toy Story 2 wound up on 31% of the lists that were submitted and had an average score of 3.3 from each of those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (9), '00s (8), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (45), 80%-90% (9)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (4), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (13), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Lee Unkrich (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Pixar (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Toy Story (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (14), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (13), VFX Driven (11), Action (10), Fantasy (10), Comedy (10), Epic (9), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (8), Romance (8), Family/Children (7), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), War (5), Tragedy (5), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Horror (5), Sequel (5), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Animation (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

ts2woody.jpg

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

lol where are you getting these quotes from 😂😂 I've been quoted several times from posts I don't remember making. But Toy Story 2 is fucking fantastic so I'm sure I said that in a positive way.

• Like 2

Just now, Ranger Tree said:

lol where are you getting these quotes from 😂😂 I've been quoted several times from posts I don't remember making. But Toy Story 2 is fucking fantastic so I'm sure I said that in a positive way.

Don't talk shit about Pixar, ok mate?

4 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

toy-story-2-5275e2641cd88.jpg

Number 47

Toy Story 2 (1999)

Pixar, Directed by Ash Brannon, John Lasseter and Lee Unkrich (63 Points, 19 Votes)

7e84d2b0a8f578f08e49687dd04c4e70.jpg

"You never forget kids like Emily, or Andy, but they forget you."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (42, -5), 2014 (30, -17), 2013 (71, +24), 2012 (73, +26)

Tomatometer: 100% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 245.9m (438.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

Critic Opinion: ""Toy Story 2" dares to make fun of toys, the very objects it celebrates. One of the most clever scenes takes place in a toy emporium where even as self-assured a guy as Buzz Lightyear gets lost among the endless replications of himself on the shelf. He feels as confused and overwhelmed as most consumers do, trying heroically to face the onslaught of holiday plastic in toy barns across the land.  Reflections on popular culture are laced brilliantly throughout this film. Even as it delves into the '50s beginnings of Woody, as a character created for a rickety, Golden Age of television puppet show, it rings co gently with a '90s sensibility. That's a neat trick that will keep kids glued to the fast- paced story and older viewers feeling as if somebody had rummaged through their old bedrooms to come up the scuffed remnants of their youth.

"Toy Story 2" shines with characters that are vital, vulnerable and lovable. And even though computer animation may seem like the coldest, least organic art form, the characters pulse with more humanity than most live actors can muster in a dozen mainstream movies. Skin texture, gestures, glances -- the Pixar folks flesh them out with extraordinary realism but never break the hyperrealism of the animated world." - Peter Stack

User Opinions: "Fuck you, Pixar." - @Ranger Tree (I believe this was in a positive way)

"I love it the same as everyone else.

I think this was the movie where Pixar finally found their visual identity. The first TS and A Bug's Life are marked by a bunch of visual inconsistencies in retrospect, whereas this movie remains pretty fluid throughout. Pretty amazing that they did this all in a year." - @tribefan695

Commentary: The Toy Story Trilogy is often seen as a pinnacle achievement from Pixar, however Toy Story 2 can often be left out of conversations when everyone's discussing the Toy Story 4 cash grab, Toy Story 3's ending and the original's historical relevance for kicking off the CGI animation genre.  Toy Story 2 may actually be the most consistent and well-crafted of the trilogy, as the entire film is a focused sequel that manages to really expand the things the first film did right.  It also features some emotional beats as painful as the notorious ending to Toy Story 3.  Toy Story 2 wound up on 31% of the lists that were submitted and had an average score of 3.3 from each of those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (9), '00s (8), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (45), 80%-90% (9)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (4), 300m (3), 200m (7), 100m (13), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Lee Unkrich (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Pixar (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Toy Story (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (14), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (13), VFX Driven (11), Action (10), Fantasy (10), Comedy (10), Epic (9), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (8), Romance (8), Family/Children (7), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), War (5), Tragedy (5), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Horror (5), Sequel (5), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Animation (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

ts2woody.jpg

I respect this choice - it is my least favorite of the Toy Story films, but it is still pretty awesome - I don't personally understand the "collector" concept, so it speaks less to me than the other two movies' themes, but I LOVE the take on the classic toys and media representations of them:)...

• Like 1

I have thought a lot of times why I didn't like Toy Story since forever and my conclusion is that I had only seen the start as a kid and I couldn't handle how bad I was feeling for Woody.

Don't laugh guys I hated Buzz and it correlates with a personal experience so it was strong feelings.

So yeah, even today I still don't feel well towards Toy Story.

• Like 1

se7en-51d930e19d291.jpg

Number 46

Se7en (1995)

New Line Cinema, Directed by David Fincher (64 Points, 17 Votes)

Full-se7en-poster.jpg

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 7

Previous Rankings: 2016 (48, +2), 2014 (55, +9), 2013 (74, +28), 2012 (37, -9)

Tomatometer: 80% (7.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 100.1m (210.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his motives.

Critic Opinion: "Se7en is also what formed my preference for a long drive with just my thoughts after a movie — ideal in that first job when I had to drive 90 minutes back after reviewing one of them. Going to movies alone is one of my favorite things. I watch Se7en now and look back on that drive home in my older brother’s first car, handed down to me. A red Camaro. Coche del Amor, as a friend of mine called it. There was never any love made in it, at least not by me. The two things I remember most about that car were its uselessness in snow and sitting in it driving home from Se7en — the teenage realization of the magnitude of corruptibility, fallibility and the grace not all of us are fortunate enough to find in falling prey to them. For we all fall prey to them and yet we press on. To watch it then was the fear of what could test me. To watch it now is the fear that I’ve not yet been tested and wonder how much harder it could be after 23 additional years of frailty.

Today, I watch it from my large couch, complemented by the glow of Christmas lights we haven’t yet taken down because my wife and I like to keep them up on nights like tonight where it’s a new year but the same old snow and chilliness. She is not here. I rarely watch movies like this when she’s around. She may have seen it at some point before we knew each other. She’d have just turned 15. Did she sneak off with friends to see it? Did it rattle her in the same way it did me? I’ve never asked. I probably should. Again, as I always do, I watch it alone, as I did all those years ago — and I’m thrown back into the mindspace of that kid in the Lindo Theatre and thrown flat all over again." - Nick Rogers

User Opinions: "the ending is creepier knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn't acting. He was just being himself" - @John Marston

"Still my favourite Fincher film, it's technically flawless and one of the few police procedurals that genuinely warrants a cinematic release." - @Hatebox

Commentary: Se7en is a movie that I really don't remember all that well, so it's a bit hard to talk about.  The movie got fairly decent reception upon its release, and it has definitely been something that's been looked at more fondly with time.  David Fincher, as a director, is an internet favorite, almost like a Christopher Nolan minus the Batman movie releases.  Se7en is bloody, eerie and an intense crime thriller that leaves audiences pondering it well after the ending credits of the movie.  A unique premise and superb execution has kept this film well on the radar of internet cinephiles.  Se7en was on around 28% of the lists that were submitted and had an average 3.8 score from those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (10), '00s (8), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (45), 80%-90% (10)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (4), 300m (3), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (19)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Lee Unkrich (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (15), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (13), VFX Driven (11), Action (10), Fantasy (10), Comedy (10), Epic (9), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Romance (8), Family/Children (7), Indie (6), Period Piece (6), War (5), Tragedy (5), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Horror (5), Sequel (5), Western (4), Christmas (3), Foreign Language (3), Melodrama (3), Animation (3), Spy/Detective (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

vlcsnap-2016-04-13-10h17m01s371.jpg?w=75

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Actually, like Attack of the Clones, there were a few members who genuinely had TPM in their top 5.

Don't worry, I'm increasingly becoming the (((scapegoat))) around here for anything they deem 'wrong'. Same old same old. 

• Disbelief 1