The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I got two star wars films on my list (TFA and ANH)

3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Same (ANH and ESB)

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wanted to leave ANH and ESB off my list, but eh.

Never heard of these films.  Are they foreign films?  

• Haha 1

Life+of+Pi+Banner.jpg

Number 100

Life of Pi (2012)

20th Century Fox, Directed by Ang Lee (46 Points, 9 Votes)

lifeofpi2bg.jpg

"And so it is with God."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (N/A), 2014 (-12, 88), 2013 (-2, 98), 2012 (N/A)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, including Best Director

Tomatometer: 87%

Box Office: 125m

Synopsis: A young man who survives a disaster at sea is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an unexpected connection with another survivor: a fearsome Bengal tiger.

Critic Opinion: "Every once in a long while, the right director comes across the right project at just the right moment, and things so often discordant fall into perfect harmony. The director has mastered the shiny technology the story needs – without that mastery, the book could never make the transition from page to screen. Just as important, the story offers the director the deeper themes he craves – without such depth, the film could never make its own leap from entertainment to art. When this happens, this rare confluence, the cinematic bar seems to wiggle free from its fixed notch. And the bar gets raised, along with our spirits, because we're reminded of how joyous movie-watching can be, the sheer and transporting wonder." - Rick Groen, The Globe and Mail

User Opinion: "Cannot believe how much I liked this movie. It may not be my favorite of the year, but it's definitely the most substantial movie I've seen this year. A very unique experience as well. Loved it." - @Blankments

"I hate 3D, I consider it a headache and giant waste of time, but for this film I was actually blown away. For the opening credits alone I almost feel like the OScars need a new category for best use of 3D so that the highest stage can acknowledge how stunning this is.The film is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on screen and I can't believe just how well everything was handled. It's perfect filmmaking in my eyes.I haven't seen Lincoln or Les Mis, but if this doesn't win the Best Picture and Director and Actor Oscars they better be goddamn awesome films.Really happy I got to see this finally." - @chasmmi

Commentary: Ang Lee starts off our top 100 list with his spiritual epic about a boy and a tiger he gets trapped on a boat with.  This movie comes in as the only film in the top 100 to get less than 10 votes, and it scraped through mostly from passion votes from a few members.  It's average points per member who voted for it was 5.11 (indicating on average each member that voted for it placed it in their top 25), and it ended up on 14.75% of all the lists submitted.  It's a transporting film, and one that was considered a visual wonder on its release.  

Decade Count: '10s (1)

Director Count: Ang Lee (1)

Life-of-Pi-257.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Any guesses? Potter is already out, I presume it's bigger than a trilogy cause last time all the Toy Story movies comfortably made it into top 50, and every other franchise I can think of has movies that wouldn't be liked widely enough to place here. 

It's going to be all 17 eligible movies of the MCU. :apocalypse:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

:whosad:

Haven't seen Das Boot, but I don't think any of the others are very good. Rashomon is the worst Kurosawa that I have seen and Paths Of Glory is the worst Kubrick that I've seen. The Great Escape is mediocre and Zodiac is pretty good but not great, it was 15th on my 2007 list.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

title-short-bare.png

Number 99

Hotaru No Haka or Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Studio Ghibli, Directed by Isao Takahata (46 points, 10 votes)

51k9cHXa76L.jpg

"September 21, 1945... that was the night I died."

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (N/A), 2014 (N/A), 2013 (N/A), 2012 (N/A)

Awards Count: Rated #57 on IMDb Top 250

Tomatometer: 97% (9.1 Avg)

Box Office: N/A

Synopsis: A young boy and his little sister struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Critic Opinion: "“Grave of the Fireflies” (1988) is an animated film telling the story of two children from the port city of Kobe, made homeless by the bombs. Seita is a young teenager, and his sister Setsuko is about 5. Their father is serving in the Japanese navy, and their mother is a bomb victim; Seita kneels beside her body, covered with burns, in an emergency hospital. Their home, neighbors, schools are all gone. For a time an aunt takes them in, but she’s cruel about the need to feed them, and eventually Seita finds a hillside cave where they can live. He does what he can to find food, and to answer Setsuko’s questions about their parents. The first shot of the film shows Seita dead in a subway station, and so we can guess Setsuko’s fate; we are accompanied through flashbacks by the boy’s spirit.

“Grave of the Fireflies” is an emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation. Since the earliest days, most animated films have been “cartoons” for children and families. Recent animated features such as “The Lion King,” “Princess Mononoke” and “The Iron Giant” have touched on more serious themes, and the “Toy Story” movies and classics like “Bambi” have had moments that moved some audience members to tears. But these films exist within safe confines; they inspire tears, but not grief. “Grave of the Fireflies” is a powerful dramatic film that happens to be animated, and I know what the critic Ernest Rister means when he compares it to “Schindler’s List” and says, “It is the most profoundly human animated film I’ve ever seen.”" - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "The only film that has ever made me sob. I could not stop crying for ten minutes after watching it. A masterpiece, and definitely one of, if not the best war film ever made. A stunningly beautiful work, and one of the most emotionally wrenching. You're going to want to watch this. It'll make you cry, but you'll be a slightly better person for it." - @Noctis

"It's a beautiful, poignant, and gut-wrenching film." - @Telemachos

Commentary: Completely new to these top 100 lists is a movie that isn't so new, Grave of the Fireflies is a human war drama and animation that works to tug at the heartstrings and causes people to contemplate the effects of World War 2 from the perspective of people simply trying to survive.  This is another film that made it onto the list with a few members who were passionate about voting for it, as each member on average gave it 4.6 points, indicating the average member who voted for it had in their top 35 (closer to the top 25), overall it was on the lists of 16.4% of the members who sent one in.  Also, as for franchises I'll be counting Ghibli as its own franchise (as with Pixar and WDAS) so we can see how those animation giants stack up against each other.

Decade Count: '10s (1), 80s (1)

Director Count: Ang Lee (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Studio Ghibli (1)

_100761630_10668806_768819113157172_3116

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 21