The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

30 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like 12AM but I always thought it was kind of a random-ass classic black-and-white drama to finish so close to the top among all the fanboy favorites. Do you all just get it shown in schools or something. 

Maybe... :ph34r:

Edit: Yes I did see it in school.

Edited by Rorschach

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I think it's a deserving and great film but also wondered why it consistently ranks so high among a group dominated by young males who's taste tend not to skew toward 1950s classics.  It has to be a school thing.  Otherwise why not Judgement at Nuremberg, Inherit The Wind or To Kill A Mockingbird?

Judgment at Nuremberg is great

• Like 2

newsletter_-_bottom_banner_-_boyhood-01.

Number 98

Boyhood (2014)

IFC Productions, Directed by Richard Linklater (46 Points, 10 votes)

aeffdf6dcaf2023612f9d6b2a6ba4e5b.jpg

"I just thought there would be more."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 

Previous Rankings: 2016 (-25, 73), 2014 (N/A), 2013 (N/A), 2012 (N/A)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, nominated for 6 including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 97% (9.1 avg rating)

Box Office: 25.3m (28.7m Adjusted)

Synopsis: The life of Mason, from early childhood to his arrival at college.

Critic Opinion: "Richard Linklater's Boyhood, both a fictional drama about growing up and a wonder-rousing cinema experiment, deserves all the accolades it has been receiving since its appearances at the Sundance and Berlin film festivals earlier this year. Presented in 143 scenes shot in 39 days over a dozen years with the same cast, the film explores that permeable border between drama and documentary in a way that evokes recognition, melancholy and joy, while sticking to the mundane experiences of one boy's life.

The subject of Boyhood is played by Texas actor Ellar Coltrane, and we see him travel from the age of six to 18, from a cherubic child, to a pudgy, uncertain adolescent, to a bony, deep-voiced man. His head and body pop and lengthen over the years along with the length and complexity of his sentences. It's like a time-lapse photo of an expanding consciousness." - Liam Lace

User Opinion: "More generally, there were moments during the first hour of Boyhood when I became concerned. This wasn't the peerless masterpiece I had been reading about. In fact it was often messy and clumsy, with scenes that felt awkward and unnecessary. However, looking back on the film several hours later, those clumsy and awkward moments feel every bit as pivotal as anything else. Boyhood is a celebration of life, of each moment lived, of the clumsy and awkward as well as the profound and beautiful. Life is a miracle, all of it, and this miracle of a film exists to remind us of that indisputable, higher truth." - @yads

"The film doesn't have any grand statements to say on childhood or becoming a man or whatever, but it kinda shows what makes Linklater one of my favourites right now. the way he can make me uber invested in the little moments." - @CoolioD1

Commentary: Boyhood is another epic to make our list, only it's an epic of a more personal and intimate nature, as it's Linklater's look at watching a boy grow up.  What makes Boyhood so special is the fact that it was shot over 13 years by Linklater with the same actors, and so the film feels not only authentic but it manages to truly capture each year in the moment that it's in.  This film managed to average 4.6 points from each member who voted for it, and it landed on 16.4% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: '10s (2), 80s (1)

Director Count: Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Studio Ghibli (1)

f7c79fa7db6acd05ce60222776708531.jpg

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 18
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

Oops, sorry I forgot to do the commentary for Boyhood, I'll go and edit that in (as well as edit in award counts for the other three movies)

city-of-god-524af7cfee1f1.jpg

Number 97

Cidade de Deus (2002)

02 Films, Directed by Fernando Meirelles and Katia Lund (46 points, 11 votes)

CoG-Shipper-2.jpg?1454521197

"Why return to the City of God, where God forgets about you?"

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (New), 2014 (New), 2013 (-40, 58), 2012 (-17, 81)

Awards Notices: Nominated for 4 Oscars, including Best Director

Tomatometer: 91% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 7.6m (11.4m)

Synopsis: Two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer.

Critic Opinion: "At its heart, City of God is a gangster film, and a great one: epic in scope, powerful in conception, brilliant in execution. That it is set against a backdrop of Third World poverty and privation is almost secondary; details aside, the film could as easily have been a story about La Cosa Nostra or the Russian mob. Directed by Fernando Meirelles from a book by real-life City of God escapee Paulo Lins, the movie spans three generations of hoodlums--if "generations" is the proper term for boys separated by only a few years, few of whom make it out of their teens alive. The film is narrated by Rocket, a would-be photographer and bystander in the gang wars, but its main character is the Li'l Ze, a psychotic thug who aspires to be the boss of City of God. When we first meet Li'l Ze (then going by the name Li'l Dice) he is a boy with baby fat and dead eyes tagging along on heists with his older brother and two partners in crime, a juvenile gang who call themselves the Tender Trio. The first sign that he is destined for bigger things comes after a brothel robbery gone awry, when he laughingly executes the building's occupants for the sheer joy of it. As a consequence of the crime, the Tender Trio splits up, its members flying toward their individual fates. Flash forward a few years, and the next generation of hoods has come into its own: Li'l Ze--who has lost the baby fat but not the blood lust--his friend Benny, and assorted rivals and hangers-on. The rest of the film follows a series of challenges to Li'l Ze's rule, including a costly war with straight-arrow-turned-gang-boss Knockout Ned and the eventual rise of a still-younger, still-more-desensitized generation of lethal children." - Christopher Orr

User Opinion: "I remember when I first saw this I was simply blown away. Taking us into the crime world of Rio De Janeiro it belongs up there with the great crime films, like the Godfather, Goodfellas, Mean Streets, etc. It's an epic film that spins three decades. It's got great performances from mostly non actors. It's brutal and violent and very harrowing. And the ending of this movie is scarier than anything I've seen in a horror movie. If you haven't seen it please do." - @DAR

"We just watched this in my film class today; such a treat! I knew City of God was on a lot of Top Movies lists from the last decade, but finally I can see why. Everything about the film--the cinematography, the music, the acting, the violence--felt authentic and real, which I suppose adds to the "horror" of it." - @Andy Stitzer

Commentary: City of God takes a Scorsese like approach to crime and gangster while blending it with a documentary feeling narrative that enwraps you into the world of Latin American slums, and the experience of growing up in a violent, third world poverty environment.  City of God is the second foreign language film to make the list, and it isn't the last one.  The voters for this one, similar to the last three movies, voted this movie highly on their lists as it averaged 4.2 points from each member who voted for it and 18% of users who submitted a list included this movie on their own list.

Decade Count: 10s (2), '00s (1), 80s (1)

Director Count: Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Studio Ghibli (1)

tumblr_njhnqhr2J01qetb0ho1_1280.jpg

• Like 16
  • Sad 1

Yeah I didn't have Boyhood in my list this year. Loved it on my sole viewing in '14 but never felt the urge to revisit tbh. I don't think people here or elsewhere are gonna turn on it en masse or anything but I'm not surprised its stock has gone a bit lower. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi470.jpg

Number 96

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lucasfilm, Directed by Rian Johnson (46 Points, 11 Votes)

d9e42158916233.5a0de7b76aa8d.jpg

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: N/A

Awards Count: Nominated for 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 91% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 620.2m

Synopsis: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares for battle with the First Order.

Critic Opinion: "It’s such undercurrents that anchor “The Last Jedi” to today and, if you’re of a mind, can even prompt gratitude for a pop entertainment aware of how fragile simple decency can be. The film may seem especially resonant to younger audiences who feel the world currently coming down around their ears like a destroyed planet.

I have this on good authority: That 6-year-old daughter, now in her early 20s, who sat beside me in the screening and, to no one’s greater shock than her own, found herself in tears. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is a thrill ride and a great good time, but it’s also about finding inspiration among the embattled and the principled, no matter how outnumbered they or we may feel.

In short, it feels like a new hope." - Ty Burr

User Opinion: "Yeah. I pretty much loved that.

There was a part in the middle where it got really emotionally complex for me, because it looked like it was about to go down a road I would have absolutely hated, but then it switched it up on me. There were multiple moments where I was drawn in to the point of getting a nice emotional punch. Rollicking ride." - @A Roc in Time

"Uuuuuuugh, man this movie was SO GOOD. I could literally rant so much more about it but I doubt anyone will read all this shit lmao. I'm just so happy they did such an amazing job. I'll be seeing it like......legit 9 more times......I'm not going to rank this exactly now till I see it at least one more time, but I do know it's in my top 3 SW films." - @K1stpierre

Commentary: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the 9th entry into the Star Wars franchise, and the 8th episode movie of the saga.  Every franchise that runs for as long as Star Wars does at some point needs a little shake up, and The Last Jedi was the movie to do that for Star Wars.  It's either been loved to death or cursed to no end by fans, but few would likely say this film isn't bold and original the direction it does dare to take.  Like City of God, Star Wars: The Last Jedi averaged 4.2 points from each member that voted for it, meaning despite how new it was, members who loved this film already had it among their all-time favorites, and it was on the lists of 18% of the members who sent in a list.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (1), 80s (1)

Director Count: Rian Johnson (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

qWglzM0.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3