The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

I find it interesting that 12 Years a Slave was #11 on my list and it still didn't receive enough votes to make it onto the list. But that's an understandable snub, and it's good that it made it to the top 250, even if it barely made it.

It's exciting to me that Life of Pi and Boyhood made the list. They were considerations for my list, but I decided to give other films a shot instead. I think, for next time, I should definitely consider adding them onto my own list. They are both very good, very important films.

• Like 1

download.php?type=download&image=32309&s

Number 95

There Will Be Blood (2007)

Paramount, Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (46 Points, 12 votes)

juan_blood.jpg

"Did you think your song and dance and your superstition would help you, Eli? I am the Third Revelation! I am who the Lord has chosen!"

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (66, -39), 2014 (99, +3), 2013 (34, -51), 2012 (27, -58)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 91% (8.4 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 40.2m (51.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A story of family, religion, hatred, oil and madness, focusing on a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business.

Critic Opinion: "With his fifth film, There Will Be Blood (Paramount Vantage), Paul Thomas Anderson goes from the brainy poet of new American cinema to its deranged visionary. Even those of us who've always admired Anderson's work (for me, Boogie Nights was one of the best films of the '90s) never suspected he had anything like this in him. This two-and-a-half-hour saga of frontier capitalism resembles the parched Western landscape in which it takes place: a vast, craggy, forbidding expanse, rife with potential danger. It was shot in Marfa, Texas, the location of George Stevens' 1956 oil epic Giant. Elsewhere, Anderson has cited The Treasure of the Sierra Madre as his favorite film, and no portrait of an isolated, half-mad American tycoon can escape the shadow of Citizen Kane. But influences be damned: There Will Be Blood looks and, especially, sounds like no movie you've seen before." - Dana Stevens

User Opinions: "Seriously, is there a way I can frame like every shot and put them on my wall?" - @acsc1312

"this is what movies are all about.

It might be the prettiest movie I've ever seen. 

just perfection. 100/100" - @Goffe

Commentary: Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis are always a powerhouse when they work together, but this film is often seen by many as the highlight of both the director's and the actor's careers.  There Will Be Blood is a sweeping epic about the Capitalism, the West and American Idealism.  The film is maddening and unlike any other film that came before it.  Users who placed this film on their list on average gave this film 3.8 points, so just outside of their top 35 films of all time, and it was on 19.8% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (2), 80s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

36c175985475035d73c18642ae95974c.png

• Like 18

28 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi470.jpg

Number 96

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lucasfilm, Directed by Rian Johnson (46 Points, 11 Votes)

d9e42158916233.5a0de7b76aa8d.jpg

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: N/A

Awards Count: Nominated for 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 91% (8.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 620.2m

Synopsis: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares for battle with the First Order.

Critic Opinion: "It’s such undercurrents that anchor “The Last Jedi” to today and, if you’re of a mind, can even prompt gratitude for a pop entertainment aware of how fragile simple decency can be. The film may seem especially resonant to younger audiences who feel the world currently coming down around their ears like a destroyed planet.

I have this on good authority: That 6-year-old daughter, now in her early 20s, who sat beside me in the screening and, to no one’s greater shock than her own, found herself in tears. “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is a thrill ride and a great good time, but it’s also about finding inspiration among the embattled and the principled, no matter how outnumbered they or we may feel.

In short, it feels like a new hope." - Ty Burr

User Opinion: "Yeah. I pretty much loved that.

There was a part in the middle where it got really emotionally complex for me, because it looked like it was about to go down a road I would have absolutely hated, but then it switched it up on me. There were multiple moments where I was drawn in to the point of getting a nice emotional punch. Rollicking ride." - @A Roc in Time

"Uuuuuuugh, man this movie was SO GOOD. I could literally rant so much more about it but I doubt anyone will read all this shit lmao. I'm just so happy they did such an amazing job. I'll be seeing it like......legit 9 more times......I'm not going to rank this exactly now till I see it at least one more time, but I do know it's in my top 3 SW films." - @K1stpierre

Commentary: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the 9th entry into the Star Wars franchise, and the 8th episode movie of the saga.  Every franchise that runs for as long as Star Wars does at some point needs a little shake up, and The Last Jedi was the movie to do that for Star Wars.  It's either been loved to death or cursed to no end by fans, but few would likely say this film isn't bold and original the direction it does dare to take.  Like City of God, Star Wars: The Last Jedi averaged 4.2 points from each member that voted for it, meaning despite how new it was, members who loved this film already had it among their all-time favorites, and it was on the lists of 18% of the members who sent in a list.

Decade Count: 10s (3), '00s (1), 80s (1)

Director Count: Rian Johnson (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

qWglzM0.png

Meh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3

34 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi470.jpg

Number 96

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lucasfilm, Directed by Rian Johnson (46 Points, 11 Votes)

d9e42158916233.5a0de7b76aa8d.jpg

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong."

IdleFabulousCoati-size_restricted.gif

Very deserving, proof that everyone who doesn't like it is wrong.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Phantom Thread > There Will Be Blood

His most straight films. The master/magnolia>>>>>>>therell be blood/Phantom thread. 

Best American director this side of 2000... 

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Phantom Thread > There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood is incredible. Phantom Thread is terrible, one of the most boring films ever.

Edited by Tower
  • Thanks 1