The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Raiders is such a bad ass film.  I love that Indy's whip, hat and jacket are shown to the audience before Indy's face.  So brilliant.

• Like 1

The king is dead!  The Empire has been defeated!  Alabama lost!  American Sniper topped Marvel and Hunger Games at the Box Office!

Number 3

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Lucasfilms, Directed by Irvin Kershner (185 Points, 36 Votes)

fitzgerald_empire.jpg

"That is why you fail."

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 5 Placements: 8

Top 10 Placements: 10

Top 25 Placements: 21

Previous Rankings: 2016 (1, -2), 2014 (1, -2), 2013 (1, -2), 2012 (3, No Change)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 95% (8.9 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 209.4m (722.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: After the rebels are brutally overpowered by the Empire on the ice planet Hoth, Luke Skywalker begins Jedi training with Yoda, while his friends are pursued by Darth Vader.

Critic Opinion: "Indulge me for a moment as I time travel back to 1980. Historically, it was a signficant year -- the Iran hostage crisis raged, Ronald Reagan won the Presidential election, and the United States boycotted the Moscow Summer Olympics in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. But, for science fiction movie lovers, there was only one event: the May 21 opening of The Empire Strikes Back. For the first time in three long, merchandise-clogged years, new Star Wars had reached screens. The movie was a guaranteed success before its first public show.

Although it lacks the pioneering "newness" of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back is in many ways a superior motion picture. The storyline is more interesting and ambitious, the characters -- little more than appealing types in the original -- are allowed to grow and develop, the special effects are more mature, and the tone is deliciously dark and downbeat. It's the latter quality that has made The Empire Strikes Back the least favorite among young Star Wars fans -- excepting Yoda, there's nothing cute to be found, and the film definitely doesn't leave viewers with a warm, fuzzy feeling. In the first film, good triumphed decisively over evil; here, it's almost the other way around.

Seventeen years after its intial release, The Empire Strikes Back is still as thrilling and involving as ever. Because of the high quality of the original product, it doesn't show a hint of dating. Neither the first nor the third chapters (or, properly, the "fourth" and "sixth") of the Star Wars saga were able to match the narrative scope of Empire, which today remains one of the finest and most rousing science fiction tales ever committed to the screen." - James Berardinelli

User Opinions: "It's Empire Strikes Back." - @aabattery

"I don’t have a review but this is a good A+ movie I’m just putting this here in case Panda sees it and puts it in his user opinion thingy when it inevitably makes the list" - @That One Guy

"This movie is not half bad." - @MrPink

"The best of the Star Wars films and the best sequel ever made.  Should have won best picture in 1980." - @baumer

Commentary: Our reigning champion has been defeated, just as Luke was defeated by his father in this shocking and polarizing 80s classic.  This movie wasn't always beloved, in fact, upon release, its reception was fairly polarizing in the same manner as The Last Jedi, I suspect history has repeated itself and time will be kind to Rian Johnson's masterpiece.  Anyways, everyone on this forum has seen this movie, or at least has heard enough from everybody else to have practically seen the movie.  It's a sequel that defined sequels, no sequel can ever be made now without being compared to this one.  It's a remarkable movie and you should probably go watch it again, because it's simply perfect (although not THE perfect movie like the one right before this).

Decade Count: 90s (27), 10s (15), '00s (15), 80s (15), 70s (11), 60s (6), 50s (5), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (79), 80%-90% (15), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (5), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (6), 600m (2), 500m (5), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (26)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (7), James Cameron (5), Francis Ford Copolla (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), David Fincher (2), Peter Jackson (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Irvin Kershner (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), George Lucas (1), Sidney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (16), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (5), Star Wars (5), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), The Godfather (2), Middle Earth (2), Indiana Jones (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Nemo (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1)

Genre Count: Drama (39), Adventure (35), VFX Driven (34), Sci-Fi (26), Fantasy (26), Epic (25), Thriller (24), Comedy (21), Action (21), Novel Adaption (20), Period Piece (20), Family/Children (17), Romance (16), Sequel (16), Crime/Noir (15), Animation (13), War (13), Horror (12), Tragedy (12), Indie (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (6), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (5), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

am6w00.jpg

• Like 15
  • Astonished 5
  • ...wtf 1

The top 2 will come soon, I will first update the list, and have a few wrap-up things to say before I finale it up!

We'll for sure have a new winner this year, one that's never won before!

Plus you guys need a few minutes to digest this shocking upset.

Edited by Auteur Panda
  • Like 3

I'm shocked.  Does this mean Nolan is going to take top spot with grovelly voiced Batman?

Or with Tolkien's first story (I know it's one long book) and the rightful best picture of 2001, reign supreme?

Or will Breaking Dawn part 2 pull the upset?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm shocked.  Does this mean Nolan is going to take top spot with grovelly voiced Batman?

Or with Tolkien's first story (I know it's one long book) and the rightful best picture of 2001, reign supreme?

What if we get TFIOS at #1 B

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

you can't fully understand empire until you've been taught to lift rocks with the force by a little green space goblin

Or have your father cut off your hand with a laser sword.

Just now, baumer said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

I am hoping that Peter Jackson's best film finally takes the throne.... But I fear it will be a long and dark knight for the runner-up...

I too am pulling for YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!

• Like 1