The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

30 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

Comic Book Movies - Even though the Dark Knight will either place 1st or 2nd, that can't make up for the fact that only 3 comic book movies managed to make it onto the list, whereas in the past we saw upwards of 8.  The MCU did make a good showing, but it seemed like the MCU fans cannibalized each others votes, as with the exception of the Winter Soldier, everyone seemed to place different MCU movies on their list.  Maybe take that as a sign of the MCU having to many good movies?  Or maybe BOT came to their senses

Couple thoughts:

- With Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War ineligible there was no clear choice (aside for my beloved TWS) as the go-to Best MCU film.  Iron Man and The Avengers are, arguably, their most significant, but not their best.  Thor: Ragnarok is from 2017 -- which I think hurt it.  I know it didn't make my list, because I actively tried to avoid films from the past couple years.  In two years, that will be in a much better position to make a huge run.  It's excellent.

- What I'm hearing is that when we do the "best movie quotes", we're gonna need to build a coalition around a couple MCU quotes and stick to those.  Good to know. 

I also want to say THANK YOU.  This has been really fun.  I've quite enjoyed watching the reactions.  Who knew Titanic would upset so many people? Your reveals have been wonderful!  Just, 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

The Coen Brothers and WrathofHan - The Coen Brothers, sadly, saw a fairly decent drop-off from previous years, and it must hurt even more than No Country and Big Lebowski were both 1 simple vote away from getting in.

OH FUCK ALL YOU FUCKING CASUALS

• Haha 1

tdkhkbanner.jpg

Number 2

The Dark Knight (2008)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Christopher Nolan (193 Points, 38 Votes)

darkknight_studio.jpg

"Why so serious?"

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 10

Top 25 Placements: 21

Previous Rankings: 2016 (9, +7), 2014 (2, No Change), 2013 (3, +1), 2012 (7, +5)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 94% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 533.3m (680.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When the menace known as the Joker emerges from his mysterious past, he wreaks havoc and chaos on the people of Gotham. The Dark Knight must accept one of the greatest psychological and physical tests of his ability to fight injustice.

Critic Opinion: "I’m betraying my childhood to concede this, but Nolan has finally topped Tim Burton’s two twisted spectaculars. Batman Begins was a respectable, if schizophrenic, start; its kung fu mumbo jumbo origin myth bolstered uneasily by brawls with a trio of baddies as cartoonish and forgettable as Katie Holmes’ chipmunk attorney. Still, the tone was close and here Nolan hits a bull’s-eye with a flick that’s grim in all the right places. 

Christian Bale’s Batman is still a loner, balancing out his too-few moments as fatuous Bruce Wayne, bimbo-lover extraordinaire. Gotham’s official policy is to arrest him on sight, but the town is flooded with black-suited impostors (who wear hockey pants, Batman notes wryly) and the cops’ official list of caped suspects stops at Abe Lincoln and Sasquatch. But here he reaches out to two men: Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), the latter capitalizing on his blonde, dimple-chinned handsomeness to deserve the nickname of Gotham’s “White Knight.” Dent’s tough and seemingly unbreakable: when a defendant whips out an imported gun on the stand, he rags on the perp for not buying American. Together, the three have indicted 549 of Gotham’s worst including Salvatore Maroni (Eric Roberts) and uber-accountant Lau (Chin Han), who in turn have unleashed the Joker to rain hell upon the city.  Not that he needed their permission—he’s fixated on Batman. “You complete me,” the Joker insists, swiping a line from a nearly-as-insane actor. He doesn’t want to defeat his enemy, just doom him by proving that he’s sweating to save an undeserving populace, a theme the dishwater Hellboy 2 only pretended to explore. 

The Joker may tout random anarchy, but his schemes are so elaborate they’d take 50 wicked Mensa members to concoct. The brilliance of The Dark Knight is that its tension is misdirected—the damsel on the tracks is a detonator that blows up a school. Batman’s heroic; we’re paranoid. The sadistic pacing makes the 152-minute running time feel like a sprint for your life. “Know your limits,” cautions Alfred (Michael Caine) when Bruce peels off his suit to reveal a back pocketed with scars and bruises. The line deeps in resonance as Batman reaches his physical and psychological breaking points. He lives, of course, but we’re both still reeling from the punches to his soul."

User Opinions: "Watching the interrogation scene reminds me two things: how much (I am going to miss) Heath Ledger & Nolan's adaption. Greatest CMB movie & my favorite movie ever. Watch it every time it's on TV even though I own it. " - @GiantCALBears

"The single greatest comic book film ever made. An instant 5 star modern classic that hearkens back to the rich storytelling days of the Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

The performances are simply out of this world, with the late great Heath Ledger's Joker becoming THE bar to which all movie villains are measured, and Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman each contributing lifetime achievement level performances, with everyone else rounding off the cast nicely.

Christian Bale (tied with Daniel Day-Lewis as our greatest modern actor) gives a subtle yet menacing performance reminiscent of Al Pacino in his role as Michael Corleone; Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman provide great character moments as well as subtle, sophisticated humour that is delivered with far greater execution than most films that try to cram as much unnecessary slapstick as possible (i.e. Transformers, Avengers) An iconic masterpiece of cinema and a phenomenal triumph of storytelling, The Dark Knight is a truly epic film that tops any other contribution to the genre by leaps and bounds, no matter how many jealous fanboys of rival companies bang their heads in frustration over their own failure to reach this level of quality or social relevance." - @Squaremaster316

"It's perfect, because Nolan." - @MrPink

Commentary: While there was plenty of talk of Nolan underperforming, he was really just saving his best card for last.  Now MrPink can breath, The Fellowship of the Ring earned enough points where this would have needed 2 more 1st place votes to match it in point total for the win.  The Dark Knight expands upon the grisly dark Batman Begins, and turns everything up a notch for a fiery and sinister spectacle.  Heath Ledger's Joker absolutely owns this film, leaving you completely shaken whenever you see the crazy clown on the screen.  The film has brutal action sequences, and it's one of the least comic booky comic book films you'll ever see, and that's a major compliment to the movie.  The Dark Knight received the most votes of any movie (by a slight margin), making 62% of the lists submitted but those users simply didn't place it high enough to take the top spot for it's 10th anniversary year.

dk-fc-00024-01.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MAMMA-MIA-main-edited.jpg

Number 1

Mamma Mia! (2008)

Universal, Directed by Phyllida Lloyd (503 Points, 55 Votes)

MV5BMTA2MDU0MjM0MzReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDYw

"Mamma mia, here I go again!"

Top 1 Placements: 6

Top 5 Placements: 10

Top 10 Placements: 4

Top 25 Placements: 15

Previous Rankings: 2016, (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Golden Globes

Tomatometer: 54% (5.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 144.1m (183.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular 1970s group ABBA.

Critic Opinion: "A lot of fun." -Richard Roeper

User Opinions: "Loved it. One of my favourite FilmsA+++++" - @Films

"It's a huge guilty pleasure, and I enjoy the music. :)The Lay All Your Love On Me scene is gloriously corny." - @Hunt for the Wilderpasta

Commentary: Mamma Mia! is the greatest film ever made.  Why is this up for debate?

Decade Count: 90s (26), 10s (15), '00s (15), 80s (13), 70s (9), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (72), 80%-90% (13), 70%-80% (3), 50-60% (1)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (3), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (3), 600m (2), 500m (4), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (17), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1), Phyllida Lloyd (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (13), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1), Middle Earth (1), Mamma Mia! (1)

Genre Count: Drama (35), Adventure (31), VFX Driven (29), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (22), Comedy (22), Epic (21), Action (20), Family/Children (17), Period Piece (17), Novel Adaption (17), Romance (16), Crime/Noir (14), Sequel (14), Animation (13), Horror (12), War (12), Indie (11), Tragedy (11), Musical (8), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (6), Romantic Comedy (6), Western (5), Melodrama (4), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

Mamma-Mia-The-Movie-Gallery-1.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

lor_banner.jpg

Number 1

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Peter Jackson (213 Points, 36 Votes)

e8bc35e3b8d21aca1e314a5da6081083.jpg

"The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass!"

Number 1 Placements: 4

Top 5 Placements: 8

Top 10 Placements: 13

Top 25 Placements: 24

Previous Rankings: 2016 (3, +2), 2014 (7, +6), 2013 (5, +4), 2012 (2, +1)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 91% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 313.4m (498.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A meek Hobbit from the Shire and eight companions set out on a journey to destroy the powerful One Ring and save Middle-earth from the Dark Lord Sauron.

Critic Opinion: "Masterfully paced, the movie builds slowly, introducing the mythology, habitats and lifestyles of Tolkien's creatures. It may be a bit of information overload for moviegoers who have not read Tolkien, but once the second exhilarating half of the film kicks in, few viewers will stop to ponder the difference between an orc and an uruk.

The cast is superb, especially McKellen with his kindly imperiousness as Gandalf and Mortensen with his brooding, noble savage take on Aragorn.

Jackson nails the fraternity that develops among Tolkien's fellowship. These curious misfits, skeptical of one another's worthiness, come to trust and love each other, grieving like brothers if one should fall. Two of the company share a grand death scene worthy of the heroes of ancient Greece.The size differential (hobbits average 3 1/2 feet, dwarves a foot or so more) is deftly handled through visual effects, diminutive doubles for the actors and some old-fashioned, forced-perspective camera work. Interaction early on between the child-sized Bilbo and the towering Gandalf is so utterly real, size never matters from then on: The audience simply accepts it as another flourish in this exotic world.  The only drawback: Part two is 12 months away, part three, 24 months."  - David Germain

"J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece, the three books that make up "The Lord of the Rings," is about two profound things: the horror of power without spiritual understanding, and the nature of courage. In the figure of Frodo, the humble, small-town hobbit who never expected to be called upon for acts of bravery or sacrifice, several generations of readers have found their everyman, their hairy-footed inspiration, their call to day-by-day fortitude.  To even begin to conceive of a cinematic version of the series is daunting. But "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" gets it right. Director Peter Jackson has created a film refreshingly free of ego, giving this technically advanced picture an old-fashioned rhythm and gravity.

"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" would be an exceptional film in any year or season. Yet there's no escaping that part of what makes this film especially powerful is what happened on Sept. 11. The themes feel sad and close. We see visions of a fallen planet, of men unable to control their lust for power, of wizards of unimaginable knowledge who have sold their souls for profit. Most of all, we see a world in fear, and a shadow from another land that threatens the end of everything." - Mark LaSelle

User Opinions: "The best of the LOTR films.  To get a lump in my throat, the only scene in the series better than when Boromir tells Aragorn that he was his captain and his king, is in ROTK when Aragorn tells the hobbits that they bow to no one." - @baumer

"Everything about this movie is just so iconic and memorable. Hobbit I cannot even remember any character's name or one musical note or magnificent shot. This movie is just so full of them, and that's only the first one! The music is one of the best scores in modern history. Everything about something like the Moria scene feels so practical and visceral. Just spectacular. I think PJ was starting to get in his own ass with the multiple endings and multiple deus ex machinas in ROTK, but the first two are absolutely blockbuster perfection." - @Cmasterclay

"I'm so struck with how perfect this movie is. The acting, the storytelling, the world that after all this time is just as stunningly beautiful. Also, the greatest soundtrack ever made for a movie. Howard Shore is pure genius. 

The Lothlorien scenes were my favourite part of the movie. I love Tolkien's Elves. And the ending scenes... so many memories.

Now it's time for the 4 hour epicness of the Two Towers EE." - @James

"Mmm-mmm-mmmh." - @Jack Nevada

Commentary: The Fellowship of the Ring tops our list, being a first time winner, and marks the best the Lord of the Rings trilogy has ever done, getting all of its movies within the top 10 and then topping out the list, we truly have been converted into a bunch of Kiwis.  The Fellowship of the Ring is an absorbing masterpiece, a true adventure film that wraps you in its quest and blasts off.  No other film has accomplished the world building that this film, and the rest of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, managed to show.  Howard Shore's score soars, it's grand and epic when it needs to, and utterly moving at other sections.  Peter Jackson truly captured lightning in a bottle with this trilogy, and pulled off the impossible creating the magnum opus of cinema, with a little bit of help from Tolkien's poetic, epic masterwork.

TheLordoftheRings.jpg

Edited by Auteur Panda
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Auteur Panda said:

tdkhkbanner.jpg

Number 2

The Dark Knight (2008)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Christopher Nolan (193 Points, 38 Votes)

darkknight_studio.jpg

"Why so serious?"

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 10

Top 25 Placements: 21

Previous Rankings: 2016 (9, +7), 2014 (2, No Change), 2013 (3, +1), 2012 (7, +5)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 94% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 533.3m (680.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: When the menace known as the Joker emerges from his mysterious past, he wreaks havoc and chaos on the people of Gotham. The Dark Knight must accept one of the greatest psychological and physical tests of his ability to fight injustice.

Critic Opinion: "I’m betraying my childhood to concede this, but Nolan has finally topped Tim Burton’s two twisted spectaculars. Batman Begins was a respectable, if schizophrenic, start; its kung fu mumbo jumbo origin myth bolstered uneasily by brawls with a trio of baddies as cartoonish and forgettable as Katie Holmes’ chipmunk attorney. Still, the tone was close and here Nolan hits a bull’s-eye with a flick that’s grim in all the right places. 

Christian Bale’s Batman is still a loner, balancing out his too-few moments as fatuous Bruce Wayne, bimbo-lover extraordinaire. Gotham’s official policy is to arrest him on sight, but the town is flooded with black-suited impostors (who wear hockey pants, Batman notes wryly) and the cops’ official list of caped suspects stops at Abe Lincoln and Sasquatch. But here he reaches out to two men: Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), the latter capitalizing on his blonde, dimple-chinned handsomeness to deserve the nickname of Gotham’s “White Knight.” Dent’s tough and seemingly unbreakable: when a defendant whips out an imported gun on the stand, he rags on the perp for not buying American. Together, the three have indicted 549 of Gotham’s worst including Salvatore Maroni (Eric Roberts) and uber-accountant Lau (Chin Han), who in turn have unleashed the Joker to rain hell upon the city.  Not that he needed their permission—he’s fixated on Batman. “You complete me,” the Joker insists, swiping a line from a nearly-as-insane actor. He doesn’t want to defeat his enemy, just doom him by proving that he’s sweating to save an undeserving populace, a theme the dishwater Hellboy 2 only pretended to explore. 

The Joker may tout random anarchy, but his schemes are so elaborate they’d take 50 wicked Mensa members to concoct. The brilliance of The Dark Knight is that its tension is misdirected—the damsel on the tracks is a detonator that blows up a school. Batman’s heroic; we’re paranoid. The sadistic pacing makes the 152-minute running time feel like a sprint for your life. “Know your limits,” cautions Alfred (Michael Caine) when Bruce peels off his suit to reveal a back pocketed with scars and bruises. The line deeps in resonance as Batman reaches his physical and psychological breaking points. He lives, of course, but we’re both still reeling from the punches to his soul."

User Opinions: "Watching the interrogation scene reminds me two things: how much (I am going to miss) Heath Ledger & Nolan's adaption. Greatest CMB movie & my favorite movie ever. Watch it every time it's on TV even though I own it. " - @GiantCALBears

"The single greatest comic book film ever made. An instant 5 star modern classic that hearkens back to the rich storytelling days of the Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

The performances are simply out of this world, with the late great Heath Ledger's Joker becoming THE bar to which all movie villains are measured, and Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman each contributing lifetime achievement level performances, with everyone else rounding off the cast nicely.

Christian Bale (tied with Daniel Day-Lewis as our greatest modern actor) gives a subtle yet menacing performance reminiscent of Al Pacino in his role as Michael Corleone; Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman provide great character moments as well as subtle, sophisticated humour that is delivered with far greater execution than most films that try to cram as much unnecessary slapstick as possible (i.e. Transformers, Avengers) An iconic masterpiece of cinema and a phenomenal triumph of storytelling, The Dark Knight is a truly epic film that tops any other contribution to the genre by leaps and bounds, no matter how many jealous fanboys of rival companies bang their heads in frustration over their own failure to reach this level of quality or social relevance." - @Squaremaster316

"It's perfect, because Nolan." - @MrPink

Commentary: While there was plenty of talk of Nolan underperforming, he was really just saving his best card for last.  Now MrPink can breath, The Fellowship of the Ring earned enough points where this would have needed 2 more 1st place votes to match it in point total for the win.  The Dark Knight expands upon the grisly dark Batman Begins, and turns everything up a notch for a fiery and sinister spectacle.  Heath Ledger's Joker absolutely owns this film, leaving you completely shaken whenever you see the crazy clown on the screen.  The film has brutal action sequences, and it's one of the least comic booky comic book films you'll ever see, and that's a major compliment to the movie.  The Dark Knight received the most votes of any movie (by a slight margin), making 62% of the lists submitted but those users simply didn't place it high enough to take the top spot for it's 10th anniversary year.

dk-fc-00024-01.jpg

AoYtl6n.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

btw, it’s kind of fucked up that there are ZERO movies with Paul Newman on the list. The Hustler, The Sting, and Butch Cassidy were all in the upper half of my list.

I had Cool Hand Luke at 21

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Fun fact: Rey’s first words to Luke in the original Last Jedi script were “Cool hand, Luke”

Leave the humor to Rian Johnson 

• Sad 1

On 5/12/2018 at 2:53 AM, Auteur Panda said:

1.                          The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

2.                          The Dark Knight

3.                          The Empire Strikes Back

4.                          Raiders of the Lost Ark

5.                          12 Angry Men

6.                          The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

7.                          Star Wars

8.                          Titanic

9.                          The Godfather

10.                        The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

11.                        The Matrix

12.                        Pulp Fiction

13.                        Back to the Future

14.                        Terminator 2: Judgement Day

15.                        Schindler's List

16.                        GoodFellas

17.                        The Lion King

18.                        Jaws

19.                        Jurassic Park

20.                        Inside Out

21.                        Mad Max: Fury Road

22.                        Saving Private Ryan

23.                        Casablanca

24.                        Inception

25.                        The Shawshank Redemption

26.                        The Silence of the Lambs

27.                        The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

28.                        Spirited Away

29.                        The Godfather, Part II

30.                        Alien

31.                        Finding Nemo

32.                        Forrest Gump

33.                        Toy Story

34.                        Return of the Jedi

35.                        E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

36.                        The Incredibles

37.                        Aliens

38.                        Gladiator

39.                        Fight Club

40.                        Beauty and the Beast

41.                        Princess Mononoke

42.                        Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

43.                        Aladdin

44.                        Toy Story 3

45.                        Pan's Labyrinth

46.                        Se7en

47.                        Toy Story 2

48.                        The Shining

49.                        The Wizard of Oz

50.                        Vertigo

51.                        Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

52.                        Seven Samurai

53.                        The Usual Suspects

54.                        Rocky

55.                        One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

56.                        Apocalypse Now

57.                        Once Upon a Time in the West

58.                        Groundhog Day

59.                        Whiplash

60.                        2001: A Space Odyssey

61.                        Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

62.                        Wall-E

63.                        Taxi Driver

64.                        Rear Window

65.                        Star Wars: The Force Awakens

66.                        The Truman Show

67.                        Die Hard

68.                        The Terminator

68.                        The Sound of Music

70.                        Memento

71.                        Get Out

72.                        Fargo

73.                        Psycho

74.                        Inglourious Basterds

75.                        Heat

76.                        Footloose Captain America: The Winter Soldier

77.                        Logan

78.                        La La Land

79.                        Do the Right Thing

80.                        Predator

81.                        The Departed

82.                        It's a Wonderful Life

83.                        Citizen Kane

84.                        Before Sunrise

85.                        The Princess Bride

86.                        Unforgiven

87.                        Lawrence of Arabia

88.                        Avatar

89.                        Blade Runner

90.                        Chinatown

91.                        Good Will Hunting

92.                        Gravity

93.                        Singin' in the Rain

94.                        Monty Python and the Holy Grail

95.                        There Will Be Blood

96.                        Star Wars: The Last Jedi

97.                        City of God

98.                        Boyhood

99.                        Grave of the Fireflies

100.                      Life of Pi

101.                       The Avengers (2012)

102.                       L.A. Confidential

103.                       No Country for Old Men

104.                       The Big Lebowski

105.                       Spider-Man 2

106.                       The Thing
107.                       Before Sunset
108.                       Guardians of the Galaxy
109.                       The Sixth Sense
110.                       Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
111.                       Captain America: Civil War
112.                       Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
113.                       Batman Begins
114.                       American Beauty
115.                       Amadeus
116.                       Raging Bull
117.                       Blazing Saddles
118.                       RoboCop
119.                       District 9
120.                       Your Name
121.                       Halloween
122.                       A Clockwork Orange
123.                       The Apartment
124.                       Up
125.                       Ratatouille

126.                       Children of Men

127.                       Blade Runner 2049

128.                       Amelie

129.                       Zootopia

130.                       Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

131.                       To Kill a Mockingbird

132.                       Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance

133.                       Ghosbusters

134.                       Bridge on the River Kwai

135.                       My Neighbor Totoro

136.                       Before Midnight

137.                       Frozen

138.                      The Bourne Ultimatum

139.                      Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

140.                      Airplane!

141.                      North by Northwest

142.                      Braveheart

143.                      The Green Mile

144.                      Shrek

145.                      The Room

146.                      Ferris Beuller’s Day Off
147.                      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
148.                      Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera
149.                      The Breakfast Club
150.                      Casino Royale (2006)
151.                      The Social Network
152.                      Arrival
153.                      Thor: Ragnarok
154.                      Star Trek (2009)
155.                      Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
156.                      Ben-Hur
157.                      Iron Man
158.                      Her (2013)
159.                      Scream
160.                      South Park – Bigger, Longer and Uncut
161.                      Black Swan
162.                      Dead Poet’s Society
163.                      Oldboy (2003)
164.                      The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
165.                      The Grand Budapest Hotel

166.                      Edge of Tomorrow

167.                      Bicycle Thieves

168.                      Manchester by the Sea

169.                      Kill Bill Vol 1

170.                      Hot Fuzz

171.                      Who Framed Roger Rabbit

172.                      Deadpool

173.                      Django Unchained

174.                      Interstellar

175.                      Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

176.                      Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

177.                      Network

178.                      The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

179.                      Pinocchio

180.                      Spider-Man

181.                      The Prestige

182.                      How to Train Your Dragon

183.                      The Life of Brian

184.                      Gone With the Wind

185.                      Cinema Paradiso

186.                      City Lights

187.                      Modern Times

188.                      Brokeback Mountain

189.                      Apollo 13

190.                      Ex Machina

191.                      The Big Short

192.                      Gone Girl

193.                      The Grapes of Wrath

194.                      X-Men: Days of Future Past

195.                      Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

196.                      Close Encounters of the Third Kind

197.                      The Wolf of Wall Street

198.                      Batman (1989)

199.                      Young Frankenstein

200.                      Reservoir Dogs

201.                      Texas Chainsaw Massacure

202.                      The Dark Knight Rises

203.                      Roman Holiday

204.                      Starship Troopers

205.                      Arsenic and the Old Lace

206.                      Leon: The Professional

207.                      Almost Famous

208.                      JFK

209.                      Mulholland Drive

210.                      The Exorcist

211.                      The Last of the Mohicans

212.                      Stand By Me

213.                      Scarface

214.                      The Searchers

215.                      Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest

216.                      (500) Days of Summer

217.                      Tremors

218.                      Big Fish

219.                      Jurassic World

220.                      Ocean’s Eleven

221.                      Office Space

222.                      Duck Soup

223.                      Slumdog Millionare

224.                      Raising Arizona

225.                      The Producers

226.                      American Psycho

227.                      Batman Returns

228.                      The Quiet Man

229.                      Skyfall

230.                      The Hunger Games

231.                      Independence Day

232.                      Zodiac

233.                      Paths of Glory

234.                      Perks of Being a Wallflower

235.                      The Royal Tenenbaums

236.                      The Great Escape

237.                      Wonder Woman

238.                      12 Years a Slave

239.                      Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

240.                      Hunt for the Wilderpeople

241.                      The LEGO Movie

242.                      The Jungle Book (1964)

243.                      Rashomon

244.                      Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

245.                      Das Boot

246.                      Prisoners

247.                      Dredd

248.                      Notorious

249.                      Men in Black

250.                      Kung Fu Panda

Here is the final list!

Thank you guys for being so excited and interactive with this countdown, it's made the experience great!  I've helmed my own personal lists before, BOT theory countdowns (including the 2016 edition of this one), and co-hosted the BOFFIES and I have to say this list was definitely the most time consuming and taxing of any of them, but I had a blast doing it!  I am honored to get the opportunity to have presented this and have everyone be so involved and enthusiastic, it was our biggest turnout yet (And the biggest Top 100 list yet)!  I'm exhausted now, and you won't see me helming another list until I present my best of 2018 at the end of the year! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5