The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Even beyond the precise technical craft the writing and acting in The Matrix are extremely on-point. The tons of exposition are delivered organically, the storytelling intergrates Neo's character arc with the forward momentum of bigger obstacles arriving one on top of another, and still the whole thing would have collapsed if any one major performance had been even slightly off, which they aren't. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Even beyond the precise technical craft the writing and acting in The Matrix are extremely on-point. The tons of exposition are delivered organically, the storytelling intergrates Neo's character arc with the forward momentum of bigger obstacles arriving one on top of another, and still the whole thing would have collapsed if any one major performance had been even slightly off, which they aren't. 

Hmmm.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

TITANIC CONFIRMED IN THE TOP 10 FUCK YEAH HAIL JAMES CAMERON

also sad to see Ratatouille got so far away from the list because it’s an excellent movie

Big specticle meets big heart, I don't know what happened between 2016 and now but I like it.

I just love how people always pretend Matrix is one movie while the creators kinda look down on the first, saying the only interest of the trilogy was to deconstruct and invalidate everything that happened in the first movie, which is the easy way. 

33 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

GA8VJQq.gif

Spoiler

I agree, btw. Though Reeves' acting is kinda off sometimes.

I rewatched the Matrix not too long ago.  What struck me about the film is that while it is a big budget film, it still managed to feel small at the same time.

tenor.gif?itemid=11753372

"Mr. Panda, I don't feel so good!"

Number 101

Spoiler

The Avengers

IronManCrying.gif

Number 11

Spoiler

The Matrix (1999)

Warner Brothers, Directed by The Wachowski Siblings (128 Points, 25 Votes)

flat,550x550,075,f.u9.jpg&key=59083fc800

"Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Top 5 Placements: 6

Top 10 Placements: 8

Top 25 Placements: 13

Previous Rankings: 2016 (16, +5), 2014 (17, +6), 2013 (9, -2), 2012 (10, -1)

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 87% (7.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 171.5m (309.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Critic Opinion: "Absorbing when it isn't going a little overboard — like it does during a John Woo-like gun battle in a lobby — Matrix has several super kung fu sequences, including use of Hong Kong-style wirestunt work and what the Wachowskis have dubbed "bullet-time photography" or "Flow-Mo," an awesome physics-defying effect inspired by Japanese anime. 

Reeves is good as the somewhat fragile but adaptable hero. Fishburne is savvy casting as Neo's guide and protector, and Moss and Pantoliano also are impressive. But the big scene stealer is Weaving as the relentless opponent and embodiment of the Matrix's creators. His deadpan delivery and ultra-serious demeanor is chipped away with growing frustration, and the Australian contributes much of the film's nervous humor." - David Hunter

User Opinions: " It flows so well that it makes you feel like you are there experiencing what is happening. I don't think I will ever forget some of the fight scenes in this film. They are sheer brilliance.But mostly what is enjoyable about The Matrix is the questions that it asks and how it answers them. What is the Matrix? Well, well I'm not going to give it away. As I said it is one of the parts of the movie that will keep you intrigued and will astonish you at the same time. This is a very good film and it's visionary outbursts are worth the price of a rental alone. But it has a great story to it as well and that should be enough for anyone to want to see it."  - @baumer

"I have said about Transformers that I hate every part of it, for me, the Matrix is the anti-Transformers, I loved everything about it.

One of the best of all time" - @Tower

Commentary: The Matrix is a 1999 action sci-fi classic, filled with some of the most innovative action sequences we had seen on screen to date, and it did not miss the list.  The Matrix is one of those movies that was not only beloved at its time, but highly influenced its genre and the way movies within its same genre were made.  Countless films have tried to copy the same violent magic the Matrix was able to achieve, and few have even come close.  The action sequences stand the test of time 19 years later, still remaining just as impressive and awesome today.  The Matrix was on 41% of the lists submitted and had an average score of 5.1 from those lists.

Decade Count: 90s (26), 10s (15), '00s (13), 80s (13), 70s (9), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (71), 80%-90% (13), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (3), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (3), 600m (2), 500m (3), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (13), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1)

Genre Count: Drama (35), Adventure (30), VFX Driven (28), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (21), Comedy (21), Epic (20), Action (20), Family/Children (17), Period Piece (17), Novel Adaption (16), Romance (15), Crime/Noir (14), Animation (13), Sequel (13), Horror (12), Indie (11), Tragedy (11), War (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (4), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

TheMatrix087-580x250.jpg&key=6213b5f3d76

Edited by Auteur Panda
  • Like 19
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wait, so what the fuck is the movie that missed? :winomg: 

The Avengers, 

also these movies

102. LA Confidential

103. No Country for Old Men

104. The Big Lebowski

105. Spider-Man 2

I found the Avengers shocking because it had never missed before, and it was at peak popularity during voting time due to IW.

• Like 6

Just now, Auteur Panda said:

The Avengers, 

also these movies

102. LA Confidential

103. No Country for Old Men

104. The Big Lebowski

105. Spider-Man 2

I found the Avengers shocking because it had never missed before, and it was at peak popularity during voting time due to IW.

Avengers off the list at 101.

First year Avatar makes the list.

Pottery

• Like 2