The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

Titanic deserves a top ten placement.  I have Titanic at 15 but on any given day, I can be convinced that it is top ten material.

Every year, I vote in First Blood.  And it never makes the list.  It's unfortunate because it is such a terrific film.  Rocky out Sly on the map, Rambo put him in orbit.

First Blood didn't make my list (too many films to choose from), but it's a great film about an abandoned veteran (Rambo). Stallone's really underappreciated as an actor.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

then recently found they were misguided

More like some guy submitted a box-office chart as his list. It would have been safely out of the top 100 otherwise, as usual. 

• Like 5

am I the only one who.... does anyone know or have the....

does anybody....?

Spoiler

Does anyone know how big the one was that killed all the dinosaurs?

DeepImpactLeoni.jpg

**couldn't find the actual live* picture

Edited by Thematrixfilm

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

More like some guy submitted a box-office chart as his list. It would have been safely out of the top 100 otherwise, as usual. 

more people voted for it so it made the list!

Stunning analysis there Jake

• Haha 1

I don't which I'm more disappointed in. That Avengers missed the list or that, barring a very very surprising darkhorse Top 10 reveal, my eternal dreams of Speed Racer cracking the Top 250 have once more been dashed.

Ah well, at least I'm pretty certain 12 Angry Men managed to make it into the Top 10. And if it also somehow misses out, at least I also made sure to stock up on gasoline so I can burn these forums to the ground. As is the emotionally healthy response.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love LOTR (they're my #1-2-3) but it's gonna just swarm this top 10 with entries.

Sadly there's no way to make it count as 1 movie because every person has a different favorite one.

Oh well, that's what happens when you make 3 (!) masterpieces back-to-back-to-back :qotd:

• Like 3

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-two-towers-523

Number 10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Peter Jackson (128 Points, 29 Votes)

3d24cca6f006971d60d3024ead2b9f4e.jpg

"Po-tay-toes!  Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 7

Top 25 Placements: 16

Previous Rankings: 2016, (12, +2), 2014 (19, +9), 2013 (29, +19), 2012 (11, +1)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 95% (8.5 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 339.8m (524.9m Adjusted)

Synopsis: While Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mordor with the help of the shifty Gollum, the divided fellowship makes a stand against Sauron's new ally, Saruman, and his hordes of Isengard.

Critic Opinion: "The Two Towers only had to be as good as its predecessor–and, astoundingly, it's better. That's not simply a matter of exposition giving way to action, although the film has plenty, as soulful hobbits Elijah Wood and Sean Astin make their way toward Mordor, friends Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan find unlikely allies deep in a forest, and the dwarf/elf/human team of John Rhys-Davies, Orlando Bloom, and Viggo Mortensen attempts to defend a struggling kingdom from the forces of Christopher Lee. What makes Towers so staggering is the way it brings the full scope of Jackson's adaptation into focus. Without missing a beat in three hours, the film shifts from epic to lyrical and back. It portrays a harrowingly intense battle one moment, then pauses for a father's grief over his son's death the next.

It shows in frightening detail the engines of war, then links those engines to the bloodshed they exact and the ecological destruction that made them possible. What Fellowship suggested, Towers elucidates. It's thrilling as swords clash and arrows fly, but it also never abandons the underlying sadness of Tolkien's world, in which each victory only forestalls the transition to a meaner age. (And, for all the attendant technophobia, it's another technical masterpiece. Gollum, voiced by Andy Serkis, may qualify as the first fully fleshed-out performance by a CGI effect.) Next year, The Return Of The King will bring the story to a close. Until then, it feels almost like a privilege to watch the unfolding of a tale from a fantastic imagined past rich with resonance for the human present." -  Keith Phipps

User Opinions: "Best one of the trilogy. Helms Deep probably won't ever be topped." - @Heretic

"A worthy successor to FOTR, and in many ways it surpasses it in terms of feeling "Tolkien-esque" (despite numerous departures from the source material). It also -- amazingly -- manages to avoid the pitfall of being the middle film and thus without a real "beginning" or "end". Like the other LOTR films, it has tremendous scope while remaining surprisingly intimate at key moments, and it never forgets that the real meat of the story is the characters." -  @Telemachos

Commentary: The first of Peter Jackson's adaptions of Tolkien's epic Lord of the Rings tale, and while some may complain this may suffer from the middle chapter sluimps, The Two Towers boasts many reasons why it stands on its own, and even surpasses the first and third installments at various points.  The Battle of Helm's Deep is one of the most stunning battle sequences ever put to film, putting you into the thick of a grimy, dark and intense war.  The new focus on Gollum's character is a major plus, as he becomes one of the truly conflicting and grey characters of the saga, so any scene with him is incredibly engaging.  The entire film manages to fulfill its role as the bridge movie between Fellowship and Return, yet also stand on its own as a fantastic film, which is a remarkable achievement.  The Two Towers appeared on 46% of lists submitted with an average score of 4.6.

Decade Count: 90s (26), 10s (15), '00s (14), 80s (13), 70s (9), 60s (6), 50s (4), 40s (3), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (72), 80%-90% (13), 70%-80% (3)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (3), 900m (2), 800m (1), 700m (3), 600m (2), 500m (4), 400m (10), 300m (9), 200m (14), 100m (16), Under 100m (25)

Director Count: Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Ridley Scott (3), Martin Scorsese (3), Damien Chazelle (2), Francis Ford Copolla (2), David Fincher (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), John Lasseter (2), Sergio Leone (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), Christopher Nolan (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Quentin Tarantino (2), Lee Unkrich (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Brad Bird (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Ron Clements (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Stanley Donen (1), Frank Darabont (1), Pete Docter (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), John Musker (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Bryan Singer (1), Isao Takahata (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1), Wachowskis (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (13), Pixar (7), Steven Spielberg (6), James Cameron (4), Star Wars (3), Toy Story (3), Alien and Predator (3), Studio Ghibli (3), WDAS (3), Dead Wife Cinematic Universe/Nolan (2), Marvel (2), Terminator (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Indiana Jones (1), Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Dollars (1), Hannibal (1), Mad Max (1), Jurassic Park (1), Jaws (1), Back to the Future (1), Matrix (1), Middle Earth (1)

Genre Count: Drama (35), Adventure (31), VFX Driven (29), Thriller (24), Sci-Fi (24), Fantasy (22), Comedy (21), Epic (21), Action (20), Family/Children (17), Period Piece (17), Novel Adaption (17), Romance (15), Crime/Noir (14), Sequel (14), Animation (13), Horror (12), War (12), Indie (11), Tragedy (11), Musical (7), Foreign Language (6), Cult Classic (5), Western (5), Romantic Comedy (5), Melodrama (4), Spy/Detective (4), Bio-Pic (4), Christmas (3), Sports (3), Superhero (3), Comic Book (2), Satire (2), Remake (2)

two-towers-sam-frodo-gollum.jpg

Edited by Auteur Panda
  • Like 18

Fucking Big Lebowski missing this list, such a tragedy. Generally i feel like the Coen Films are very much underrepresented here. Besides Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, O Brother where Art Though and True Grit are just phenomenal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I personally don't think TTT or ROTK deserves a spot in the top ten.  They are so flawed in so many ways.  Having said that, I can watch those movies anytime.  There's so much to like about both of them but the flaws just brings down the overall grade imo.

• Like 3