baumer

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Grade it  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Was good fun. Not as good as the original but that's understandable. Felt it jumped around a lot but it is what it is. Doesn't take itself too seriously mostly...or at times it does. Weird. Still though enjoyed it. The ending is hilarious. Ryan and nailed this character perfectly. Only 2 mid credit scenes which were really good. So don't bother waiting for after credits because there is nothing there. 

B

Bring on X-Force

• Like 1

Was definitely an improvement on the AWFUL first film. I still loathe Deadpool, he is the epitome of not-being-funny. But where the first one was just Deadpool and nothing else, this one is Deadpool but also there are other things that are good. Such as Julian Dennison who appeared to have literally walked off the set of Hunt for the Wilderpeople and now gets to fulfill his gangster dreams. I love the J-Dog and am so pleased that he's evidently had his big break. Good things to come for him.

I liked Cable and glad he was not the villain, I assumed he wouldn't be due to the posters. I had assumed Eddie Marsan was playing the big bad but it turns out there was no big bad, no antagonist at all past the second act to be honest. I thought that worked well. 

But fuck me the jokes are SO bad and everything is so lazy. Deadpool is not funny. Swearing is not funny. Saying stupid things that make no sense in a funny voice is not funny. The only ONLY joke I laughed at that came from DP was one about him being the second highest grossing R rated film at the US box office, and I only laughed at that because I actually understood the reference. It's not a funny joke. Breaking the 4th wall is not funny in itself, something being 'meta' is not funny in itself. The same goes for the running joke of "that's just lazy writing". You know what, yes actually it is. Just because you acknowledge it in the film doesn't make it any better, it in fact makes it worse because you're not trying. Its like that kid in school who would fail his tests and then say "Yeah, well I wasn't trying". You still failed.

Edited by Ranger Tree
  • Thanks 1

PSA: There's some mid-credit scenes, but once the credits wall comes in, there's nothing at the end whatsoever!

Now for the review!

Overall Consensus: Just as good as the first, every joke was on point and suitably Deadpool-style. I'd give A (not quite A+)

What I liked especially: The whole first third of the movie was fantastically done, jokes were brilliant and felt like a perfect continuation of the story. Also, every single scene with Domino was just perfectly done, Luck really is Cinematic.

What I didn't like: There was a scene towards the end (the first time they get out the taxi to stop Russell) where the CGI shading of Deadpool's eye was just forgotten, there was no lighting effects or anything so it looked like a plain white, untextured mess. Was just that one scene though, so probably just a rushed production towards the end.

Biggest Laugh: For me personally, the Passion of Christ joke, that was a nice nod to Box Office followers and cracked me up. My second biggest was everybody else's biggest; Brown Panther.

tl;dr As good as first with impeccable jokes and exactly the tone you'd expect from a DP movie. Super fun.

Edited by feasby007

this sure was very grounded, not far from first one. it has its charm in first then added extra fun in it.

so I prefer this over first for those extra and domino >>>>> cable and others.

she's just so great. every scene of her with her luck was so fresh and fun.

and was there reshoot as some said? the story and events.. are same as spoiler by that miserable twitter crying baby.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, feasby007 said:

PSA: There's some mid-credit scenes, but once the credits wall comes in, there's nothing at the end whatsoever!

But that Juggernaut song right at the end of the credits :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Can somebody tell me if Ashes is in the movie or if it was just a marketing tactic!

That's all I want to know, don't want to expect Celine Dion and be disappointed, thanks!

It is, and beautifully so!

you won't be disappointed

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Can somebody tell me if Ashes is in the movie or if it was just a marketing tactic!

That's all I want to know, don't want to expect Celine Dion and be disappointed, thanks!

Yeee

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Yes, it was one of the few things that was genuinely funny about the film.

Saw the film at the press screening last week and it was a lot of fun.

Reese, Wernick, and Reynolds has proven once again that they know this beloved character in and out so much that they never seem to lose focus of his stories being HIS stories. Besides capturing the superhero and humorous aspects of him, they maintain Wade’s humanity by displaying his emotional side. The majority of this plot focuses on Wade’s reaction to tragedy and trying to get in control of his feelings. Here, we see him at his very worst where he has to face reality and the consequences of his actions. Just like its predecessor, this is another character story that displays the depth of Deadpool in ways we’ve never witnessed before.

One of my biggest issues with Deadpool 2 is that there is a point in the movie, right in the second act, where it peaks in hilarity and absurdity. The sequence where all of the X-Force are killed an insanely graphically way that could’ve been taken straight out of “South Park” but leaves you in both shock and laughter to a point that will have you wheezing. 

But here’s the thing: not only is the film unable to make you erupt in laughter as hard as that sequence (until the post credits sequence which might be the best post credit sequence in a comedy movie since the meta end credit sequence in “22 Jump Street”) but they don’t give you enough airtime for you to catch your breath. Because of the film not being able to let you breathe after shelling out joke after joke, you start to feel the film’s length which by any means does not need to be close to two hours.

http://rendyreviews.com/movies//deadpool-2-review

• Like 1

Given my general indifference to most CMBs, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this film. The humor worked for me, be it Deadpool's asides to the audience or his banter with Cable. The montage early in the film where Deadpool is on the job hunting down and killing bad guys was very enjoyable. The songs used in the film, not just the infamous Celine Dion anthem but also songs from Dolly Parton, Cher and others, were perfectly woven into the story and events. Few films use songs as well as this film did.

Undoubtedly, the standout segments of the film were the X Force job interviews, the subsequent skydiving segment and the Domino moments once she landed. Those minutes were some of the very best moments of any CBM ever. Highly entertaining stuff. In fact, all of the Domino scenes were terrific.

My only complaint about the film deals with the lackluster final battle at the orphanage. Juggernaut was not an impressive enemy and the Deadpool death fakeout was an obvious red herring if there ever was one. Fortunately Dopinder rescued the final moments of that act and the end credit scenes capped off the movie in hilarious fashion.

9/10

• Like 2

About as good as any sequel to the original could be. Better action, better score (although the Skrillex stuff was pretty dated) and the chemistry between the cast was on point. Loved Cable, Domino and Peter. The X-Force scene was perfect after the trailer built it up as something else. Not all of the comedy lands but when it does, it will definitely please the GA. That baby legs scene especially.

And the quick scene of the other X-Men quietly closing the door so Wade wouldn't see them couldn't have been done better. That felt ripped right out of the comics. Glad they found a way to bring Vanessa back at the end too. That's been the heart of both of these movies and they are going to continue to need her.

Surprised there weren't any jokes related to The Fast and Furious franchise with all the talk about family. The fake out death scene also would have been a perfect point to joke about IW....but I doubt they could do that yet. Maybe a deleted scene when this comes out on Bluray.

Summers off to a really strong start. 

B+

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Yes. It comes pretty early on and is used....kind of how you would expect it to be.

Heading into Deadpool 2, I was merely cautiously optimistic; after all, the original Deadpool was such a fresh, unconventional experience that doing a sequel felt like an inevitable setup for either an ambitious letdown or – at the other extreme – a paint-by-numbers cash grab in the vein of The Hangover: Part II. The final product here is neither of those things, and it’s all the better for it. Much like 22 Jump Street, it’s a self-aware sequel that doubles down upon the metacommentary of its predecessor and paradoxically feels fresh and funny despite hitting expected beats throughout its running time. Like the first Deadpool, this sequel makes the most of a simple storyline and values jokes ahead of plot. Luckily, the vast majority of the plethora of jokes lands; in fact, the jokes fly so quickly and punchily that the film practically requires (at least) a second screening for the viewer to remember all the nitty-gritty details of the humor. Moreover, the switch from Tim Miller to John Wick co-director David Leitch results in more impressively dynamic action sequences to accompany the bevy of crass and referential humor. Once again, Ryan Reynolds is spot-on in the title role; he has just the right irreverence to make the titular antihero’s quips land, but he also nails the dramatic beats with levels of commitment and pathos that go beyond much of the straight dramatic work he has done. Josh Brolin is also a solid addition as Cable, using an intimidating screen presence, the same low-key but powerful emotional resonance in his Thanos performance, and his undervalued comedic chops to deliver an especially worthy addition to this universe. All said, I’d rank Deadpool 2 on the same plane as the original – a damn funny crowd-pleaser whose low regard for standard convention consistently works to its advantage.

B+

Stray Thoughts - And I have quite a few, so I've put them in a nifty little spoiler tag to save space:

Spoiler

- I seriously need to see this movie again. There were so many jokes just in the first 15 minutes that I kept reminding myself to remember (namely: the dead Logan figurine and Deadpool's patently jealous comments about that film, Deadpool's translation of "Donde esta la biblioteca?", the commentary about the film being "a family film" amid the carnage in the first action scene, the excuses for showing up late on the night of his anniversary, the pitch-perfect ironic use of the Celine Dion track in the Bond credits parody - particularly the nod to John Wick), and yet I gave up shortly thereafter because so many of the jokes just straight-up worked. Usually, the approach of throwing every comedic weapon at the wall yields mixed results; it's a testament to the effectiveness of the humor here that so much of it lands effectively that it's tough to remember clever lines that would be highlights of lesser comedies.

- I was initially skeptical of the Celine Dion track, but damn did they use it perfectly in context.

- Negasonic Teenage Warhead needed to be in more of the movie, yes, but holy hell were she and her girlfriend adorable! I remain mildly disappointed that the filmmakers haven't fully made good on Deadpool's alleged pansexuality, but Negasonic was so obviously coded as a lesbian in the first film (at least to me, but I tend to read into these things) that they had to do something about it here. There was a woman in my audience wearing a pink t-shirt with "gay" across the chest who cheered at Yukio's first introduction and a few of us joined her.

- I subscribe to any and all theories that Russell and Ricky Baker from Hunt for the Wilderpeople are the same person. The references to gangsters and Tupac were on-point.

- The X-Force deaths were priceless. I knew that Vanisher had to be someone famous, but I was still surprised and tickled to see Brad Pitt's name show up in the credits. However, I definitely didn't register the cameos from Alan Tudyk and Matt Damon - I also dig the elaborate Talented Mr. Ripley reference in Damon's official credit.

- I was quite skeptical of the decision to bring Dopinder back - he was such a unique oddball in the first one that I just assumed his shtick wouldn't work in a sequel - but he steals almost every scene he's in. My audience erupted at his big heroic moment in the third act.

- A minor quibble: all these pop culture references, and yet no one points out vague similarities between Cable's mission and the plot of Looper? To quote Regina George: boo you whore.

- THE LITTLE LEGS! It's immature as all get-up, but I laughed my ass off at that scene.

- The stingers were terrific. I was reminded of 22 Jump Street's cynically hilarious mid-credits sequence.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

A couple of quick notes:

Ryan Reynolds was the voice and face of Juggernaut.

The Brad Pitt cameo was the invisible dude.

Matt Damon was one of the rednecks.

Onto the movie.  

I found the first half very funny, but kind of off in some ways.  I think the death of Vanessa took my by surprise and this just kind of set me off in the wrong way.  It just came across as strange in some ways.  It was humourous and the action was well done, but the first half just felt off.  But then about the mid way point, it just got better, and then it just kept getting better.  It was kind of like a long distance race, you don't start your sprint at the one mile mark of a 26 mile marathon.  But as the finish line gets closer, you kick it in gear. 

I thought the X-force sky-diving stuff and then their deaths, was some of the best stuff I've seen in any comic book movie.  You just don't see it coming.  I mean, Terry Crews shows up and you think they are going to be a major part of the movie, and then they all die heinous and horrible deaths.  And the Brad Pitt cameo was brilliant.  Domino was fantastic in this part of the film as well.

The Say Anything moment had me doubled over from laughing.

And of course the best mid or post credit sequence in the history of film takes place here.

Overall I enjoyed the hell out of it.  The original is a 10/10 and this is 8.5/10  Terrific sequel and looking forward to a 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1